• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Want to change Layer Comps inside a Smart Objects

LEGEND ,
Mar 22, 2012 Mar 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a Web Designer and I would like to combine Smart Objects and Layer Comps in my daily workflow more effectively. I would like to select which Layer Comp inside a Smart Object I want to display on the Root Document where it is placed and also store that again in a Layer Comp of the Root Document.

This could allow for example to store the Menu of a Website in one Smart Object but call different active states of this Menu from the Main PSD.

Idea Released
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 03, 2021 Sep 03, 2021

Votes

Translate

Translate
31 Comments
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We can't do anything *inside* the smart object. The whole point of Smart Objects is that the child document is a black box (can't see inside) until you explicitly open it and change it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you just store previews of the layer comp states? Like a set of tumbnails for the smart object, only of course in full resolution.

How about Smart Objects 2.0 ? 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 07, 2012 Oct 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems like a reasonable request to me.

Layer comps conceptually, from my understanding, are already a method to predefine perspectives into a document. When a user sets up layer comps, they're defining a fixed number of static states in which to view the document.

Asking for a containing document (or for that matter, the viewer in Bridge, an OS-level preview renderer, a third-party tool like the Unity game engine, etc.) to have the ability to choose which angle they'd like to see into the black box from — which layer comp they'd like to use — does not seem to violate the design principles of layer comps, smart objects, or (as a general concept) black boxes. To me, the features seem to be made for each other.

I understand the implications may lie in that layer comps currently may not be powerful enough to validate a change like this— the folks at Adobe may want to prepare a true “Layer Comps 2.0” (with comping beyond visibility, position, and styles, I imagine) before it would be a remarkable improvement to tie to Smart Objects, not just a minor improvement. Bullet-point features sell upgrades, and users don't necessarily take well to things shifting around seemingly unnecessarily in each version.

My stance: I'd like to see it. I don't see any reason why it would be difficult from design or tech perspectives. And I'm a little surprised it isn't already present, given the nature of Photoshop to provide simple, usable pieces that combine well into something greater. In the last few major revs, it seems both Layer Comps and Smart Objects have been forgotten about.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 25, 2013 Jul 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Totally agree this is really needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Oct 25, 2013 Oct 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whether this is done through an SO or some other method, this is *really* needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Oct 25, 2013 Oct 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even if this isn't done with an SO (maybe a new type of object instead), this functionality is really needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 16, 2014 Feb 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For a web designer it would be ultimately helpful if i can make a smart-object for example a product item which is duplicated X times to interpret a product list in the e-shop design.
But the same way it can be a button or anything else what can have more states.

This smart object will be used X times in the design, but i need to show different states of it.
Like selected, Zoomed detail view on hover.. and any other states.

This i would like to have prepared inside of the Smart object as a Layer Comps.
And i would like to set in parent PSD which state should be used on which instance of it.

Imagine then all the consequences.
To define states of each object from which webpage is build up and one day maybe also export it as a files.

So in other words:

Make it possible that layer comps inside of smart objects can be accessible in parent file as maybe a part of layer setup.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 16, 2014 Feb 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i would only use it as a 2nd level of context menu.

like:

Display As >
........................menu item 1
........................menu item 1 hover
........................menu item 1 down
........................menu item 1 disabled

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 09, 2014 Apr 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with everyone, this is a really needed feature. I would love a way to be able to use layer comps with smart objects.

This reminds me of Flash Symbols that have frames to be displayed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 29, 2014 May 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, so we have linked smart objects now - sweet. But is there a way to take it a step further to combine smart objects with Layer Comps so that I can select different states of a linked smart object? For example - if I am building a webpage with smart objects that link to a header that contains all of my navigational elements - it would be amazing if I could create layer styles for dropdowns/active states etc etc and then be able to select them at will from the linked smart object so that it wouldn't require the save that changes the link across multiple pages (since I normally build out each unique page in it's own file). Just thought it would be a cool idea. Possibly undoable and/or un-useful to many. Linked files are already making me happier on a day to day basis - so this would just be icing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 30, 2014 May 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for the merge - I missed this conversation originally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 18, 2014 Jun 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As of June 18th '14, it looks like almost have what we need. :)

Photoshop CC 2014 now offers the ability to select a Layer Comp inside of a Linked Smart Object (child PSD), from a parent PSD. This is a nice and welcomed improvement for sure.

*What we still need:*

A way to record individual/unique Layer Comp states of a Smart Object (child PSD) from the parenting PSDs Layer Comps Panel.

So close!...But not quite there based on what I'm seeing as of today.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

indeed. i suppose it's a good step in the right direction, but I fail to understand how useful the new feature is if it can't be stored in layer comps.
So...are we supposed to make copies of the smart object and play with the visibility ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey TVV,

Yeah, that's what I've been doing. It's the only approach that I can see for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 08, 2014 Jul 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great update, and thanks to Thibaud+Josh for the "make copies of smart objects" workaround.

Of course, +1 for the ability to do this without duplicating smart objects 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 29, 2014 Aug 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1 on need to make smart object layer comps saveable in the parent doc's layer comp.

Anyone know of a good scripting work-around in the meantime?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 24, 2015 Jun 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why is this tagged as "Implemented" when it is not? I still cannot save the state of the smart object inside a layer comp in my main file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because it was implemented as a feature already. You can select which layer comp you want to display from the SO.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As an extension of this feature, I'd really like to be able to record which Layer Comp of the SO is displayed in the parenting PSD via the parenting Layer Comps.

This will make the feature a lot more useful and I think quite a few folks would benefit from it.

Currently, the only way to get close to this is to duplicate the SO and then record different states for each SO in the parenting LCs.*

* This may have changed in the very recent release for PS 2015, I haven't had time to look into it quite yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As an extension of this feature, I'd really like to be able to record which Layer Comp of the SO is displayed in the parenting PSD via the parenting Layer Comps panel.

This will make the feature a lot more useful and I think quite a few folks would benefit from it.

Currently, the only way to get close to this is to duplicate the SO and then record different states for each SO in the parenting LCs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a different request, which already has a topic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 25, 2015 Jun 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this idea his indeed diluted into several topics:
http://feedback.photoshop.com/photosh...
etc...

this unfortunate duplication, may explains the relative low interest generated by this topic.
for anyone working with layer comps and smart object this missing feature is a real shortcoming. It's surprising that no one in the dev team figured this out earlier.
This is a more than 3 years old request...
Is there any other channel where our voice could be heard more appropriately ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I would like to select which Layer Comp inside a Smart Object I want to display on the Root Document where it is placed"

This has been implemented :)

"and also store that again in a Layer Comp of the Root Document."

This has not been implemented 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

indeed, to be rigorously correct this topic should not be marked as implemented. (as it is only partially implemented)
Also if anything could be done to consolidate all the disparate topics and votes into a single topic, that would be of great help, thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 29, 2016 Jun 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would also like to see the further implementation of saving a smart object's layer comp state in the master document's layer comps. Here's a case study I use constantly in UI work:

Create smart object for header (so I can update across pages in one place)
Create layer comps in that smart object for each active page state (to easily cycle through which nav item is active)
Create layer comps in master PSD for each page (each one needs an instance of the header object, but I'd prefer to just have one instance and for the layer comp state to be recalled)

Basically where layer comps have options to capture visibility, position and effects of layers, it would be SO useful for people who use layer comps as a workflow to also save smart object states.

Votes

Translate

Translate