• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Want Variations tool/adjustment returned

Community Beginner ,
Sep 07, 2012 Sep 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using the Variations tool for as long as I can remember. I know it only worked with 32-bit but I used it all the the time for color corrections and would like a new version for 64-bit. Sometimes it's just the only thing that will tweak that color just right.

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
65 Comments
Explorer ,
Sep 17, 2012 Sep 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please find a way to have variations also work in 64 bit mode. It is very frustrating to have to change modes restart Photoshop to use that feature. thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can I have Variation tool/function back? Or Plug-In? For Photoshop CS6 32bit Mac version. Eagerly need this tool for tonality adjustment.

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please put back the Variations option filter in Image > Adjustment menu. I use it daily. It is so brilliant!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 01, 2012 Nov 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was extremely disappointed to discover that the Variations command has been removed from 64-bit versions of Photoshop CS6. That effectively eliminates it from the Mac platform. I train people to use Photoshop, and that command was excellent for simple visual color correction. Are there any plans to bring it back?

Thanks,
Rich

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 02, 2012 Nov 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also miss the Variations command. I have used it daily and am quite frankly stumped now. Oh how I wish it could be reinstated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 12, 2012 Dec 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I WANT MY 'VARIATIONS' BACK!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Dec 12, 2012 Dec 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is extremely frustrating to not have Variations. I have to work in both programs CS5 and CS 6. What's even more frustrating, if I have to turn on CS5 and click 32-bit, every time I use it, because somehow it does not stay (even though it shows it is clicked at 32). I use mine for artwork, and unfortunately the hue saturation does not do the job properly.

It would be wonderful if Adobe would at least release some sort of plug-in that replicates variations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 24, 2012 Dec 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I teach 20 Photoshop courses per year to beginning Photoshop users. When I ask them which of all the techniques they've learned in six weeks they've found most valuable, the two most common answers are VARIATIONS and LEVELS. VARIATIONS is incredibly helpful in training people new to working with color in regard to color correction, and learning to recognize R G and B effects.

Another favorite is LIGHTING EFFECTS, which is now altogether missing (it won't even install) on computers that don't have the most current video cards with current drivers. In community colleges and high school community programs and senior centers where I teach, the schools can't afford to upgrade their video cards - and many of their students can't afford to either.

Why is Adobe getting rid of features most useful to beginners and those who stretch their budget beyond belief to BUY Photoshop, at the expense of upgrading their computers? Many people can't afford to do both. I have reverted to CS5 and am now suggesting to my students that they don't purchase CS6 because of these changes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 12, 2013 Jan 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just switched from Windows to Mac and eagerly installed my CS6 for the Mac. But what a disappointment to find out that the Variations command is not available for the Mac. Really unbelievable...
Adobe comments that the plugin is a 32bits plugin. Well, Adobe, then it's quite simple: rewrite it as a 64bit plugin. Should not be so hard... It is a very usefull command that many people use.
Alternative: write a good instruction how to do in Photoshop what the Variation command used to do. If that's not possible for you then you have to admit that upgrading to 64bit means downgrading your product.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 09, 2013 Feb 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is ridiculous, why would you get rid of variations!! soo stupid. i spent so much money in buying this suite and you don't have variations!! i"m not spening anymore money.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 10, 2013 Apr 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

REALLY NOT PLEASED ABOUT THIS.
How hard is it to include variations for Mac.
Bring it back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 03, 2013 Oct 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can we please have Image>Adjustments>Variations back? I'm a commercial artist running a mac and I just recently upgraded from CS3 to creative cloud. So far I love everything CC has to offer but I'm not sure why Variations has been removed from PS. Many people think that Hue/Saturation, Brightness and Contrast and Curves and Levels achieve the same results that Varations does but this is simply not true. I use Variations _all_ the time in my artwork. Most of the time I'll render part of a drawing on a seperate layer and decide that it needs to be a little bit warmer, a little less yellow or a little lighter. If I want to be able to do the same thing using different means it will create a lot of extra steps for me, and that's something I can't afford when meeting a deadline. Please, please, please return this function.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just Levels alone can achieve the same color corrections as Variations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It really can't. Levels changes saturation and contrast too much for what I need it for. As I have said, for digital paintings, there is _no_ substitute for variations that will do what I need. Not what the average photo manipulator/graphic designer needs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris, I have to agree 100% with Baileigh. I find that I still miss this tool and Levels does not work the same way. It was great to be able to see a bunch of thumbnails of the options all at one time in variations.
It would be great if someone made a "plug in" just like that! So many people miss this tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The color adjustments made by Variations are exactly the same as in levels. The math is the same, the only difference is that Variations presented several previews.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 10, 2014 Feb 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would also like the variations feature back.

I am thinking of not renewing my CC subscription for next month.
Since I am a mac user and I really looked forward to the new features and I didn't expect to be treated like a second class citizen.

I guess I will have to downgrade to an old version and discontinue my membership.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 14, 2014 Apr 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

... it is a shame, how ADOBE treat their customers.
I used "Variations" since I’m beginning working with Photoshop (over 20 year ago).

The only thing ADOBE is interested in, is to suck the dollars from its clients ... just like big "M" factory ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 14, 2014 Apr 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm missing "Variations" BIG TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 30, 2014 Jun 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SOLVED: If you have a prior copy of Photoshop running on your system (64bit) and VARIATIONS is working on it (CS5 or 6, say ....) then simply copy the Variations.8BF file from the one version to the same Folder location of the new Photoshop (CC 2014).

So take from here:

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS6 (64 Bit)\Required\Plug-Ins\Filters

and then drop into here

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC (64 Bit)\Required\Plug-Ins

Otherwise, if you didn't even get that file installed via some earlier 64bit version, then ask someone who successfully had the 64bit CS6 installed to share their VARIATIONS.8BF file with you so you can relocated it into your CC folder.

Cool, huh? 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 04, 2014 Aug 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Put the flippen variations tool back in, you cheap F'ers. This is incorrigible, the tool worked fine for the last 7 versions of photoshop - not you charge me more and give me less with tools that already worked flawlessly? Why take them away?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 14, 2015 Mar 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No server found above - I have full paid account Adobe CC & pretty gutted about variations - wishing I had kept my own copies of software as now quite stuck on an idea I am working on . . . sort it out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 08, 2015 Jun 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the name the donkey , which removed from Photoshop plugin Variations . You can put a photo?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 20, 2015 Jun 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just signed up for creative cloud year membership, first image I opened and started working in new Photoshop. As usual, I go to my last step: VARIATIONS, and to my horror it is nowhere to be found!! Upon reading the webs...added horror, it no longer exists!!!

Come on ADOBE! Why you do so many people like this?? WTF?

PLEASE BRING IT BACK IN THE NEXT UPGRADE OR I WILL BE CANCELLING MEMBERSHIP AND GO BACK TO CS3.

Makes no sense that it's gone. NONE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 21, 2015 Jun 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have the older version any longer, and work for a company that has everything go through Information Services (even installing a new font!), and it took them forever to schedule and install the new program, which they charge for. Now I don't have a critical element that I use all the time. SOOOO frustrating!!

Thanks for giving a work-around for people who don't have to go through an ISD labyrinth, though.

Votes

Translate

Translate