• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Ability to buy Photoshop as a perpetual license, instead of Creative Cloud

LEGEND ,
Mar 15, 2013 Mar 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand from a very reliable source that CS6 and Lightroom 4 will be the last photoshop software that will be available to actually purchase and own. In other words...You will not be able to purchase the software either on a disc or download that is yours to use indefinitely once you purchase the product. It will only be available via the cloud and everyone will be required to pay monthly license fee to use the product. This will allow all upgrades as long as you pay the fee...but if you cease to pay the fee, the software will be deactivated. If this is the case...and I believe it is...THIS SUCKS!

I have been Adobe user since I purchase the CS2 Creative Suite and used lightroom since it's inception. I have not purchase every upgrade, but have done so when I felt the changes warranted an upgrade. If Adobe insists on this business model, I will probably use one of the other photo editing product available on the market. There are several that will do most everything Adobe's software provides. I do not want to change...but Adobe's changes will force me to do so. I will purchase and use software...I WILL NOT "RENT" software which is what Adobe is proposing.

Idea Declined Locked
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Oct 05, 2021 Oct 05, 2021

We have no plans to offer Photoshop without a subscription.

Status Declined

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Feb 01, 2015 Feb 01, 2015
Hi Nina, Photoshop CS6 cost $699/$999 when it was available. But consider this: at that price you can have the Creative Cloud Photography Plan @ $9.99/mo for close to 6/8.5 years:

https://creative.adobe.com/plans/offer/photoshop+lightroom

The Creative Cloud Photography Plan includes Photoshop CC, Lightroom, Lightroom mobile, and get all the product updates/upgrades (e.g. Photoshop CC 2015, 2016, etc & Lightroom 2015, 2016, etc) for OS compatibility and support during that time. With the old mode...

Votes

Translate

Translate
45 Comments
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2013 Mar 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It wouldn't surprise me at all if it moved this way. PS doesn't necessarily worry me too much if it went to the cloud. The version I am on is more than enough for my needs, but LR definitely would. I can't see how they would do a payment model for LR. LR doesn't have many advances in each minor release, mainly camera support and minor bug fixes. The £60 upgrade cost hardly warrants going to the cloud, and I'm not paying cloud prices just to get LR thrown in for "free".

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 18, 2013 Apr 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe products will still be available for Photoshop and Lightroom as both box and as electronic download.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 20, 2013 May 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm extremely disappointed about Adobes monopistic attitude to the market and the greed in moving everyone to creative cloud.

I am a professional. I have been paying for photoshop every 2 versions for 5 years. You will not see a single penny from me for creative cloud.

I buy software for features and improvements, not access.

Adobe moved from business ally to business threat in one move.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 21, 2013 Aug 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Being a new photographer, I was a potential customer until I found out about the cloud exclusivity. I can understand how this would benefit the professional, but for us amateurs, $50/month is a lot. People like me have to save and budget to spend the money on a persistent license of Photoshop and Lightroom, and use it for 2 or 3 versions. I don't have the disposable income to use on a monthly fee.

Sorry I'm not rich enough for you, Adobe. I think we could have had a special thing, you and I.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 31, 2015 Jan 31, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, adobe, you lost another customer to your new creative cloud model. Well done. I've been planning to buy photoshop for years, and I wish I'd done it before you pulled this antagonistic move, but I was saving my money... little did I know that you were planning to make all access transient and continually expensive. I'm not spending money to just rent it. If I pay for a product, I want to be able to get permanent access to the software: your new model has no benefit for me whatsoever and in truth is inconvenient in every conceivable way. If no one's pointed this out to you yet, you've totally alienated anyone who uses your software casually, and you've made it as hard as possible for anyone who doesn't continually have access to spare money each month, which is basically the calling-card of artists (ie, people who want to buy your product, in case you didn't know that either). Pity so many of your potential customers are also young students who are already in debt... I wonder what other products are out there? Because no way am I doing this. Guess I'll go do my research and spend my money somewhere else. Too bad: I've always wanted to get photoshop for myself. I've got no doubt there are plenty of people who feel like this who *aren't* taking the time to log onto your website and tell you so. If you care about anything other than making as much money as possible off of each individual customer, you should listen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advocate ,
Feb 01, 2015 Feb 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The CC version of Photoshop AND Lightroom only costs me £8/month, not the $50 mentioned above. That is £2 per week, less than the cost of a pint of beer!! Most students drink far more than I pint a week IME, so having one pint less pays for PS and LR. Can't be bad!

PS I still have my non-CC copies of PS 6 and LR 5 if Adobe goes bust.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nina, Photoshop CS6 cost $699/$999 when it was available. But consider this: at that price you can have the Creative Cloud Photography Plan @ $9.99/mo for close to 6/8.5 years:

https://creative.adobe.com/plans/offer/photoshop+lightroom

The Creative Cloud Photography Plan includes Photoshop CC, Lightroom, Lightroom mobile, and get all the product updates/upgrades (e.g. Photoshop CC 2015, 2016, etc & Lightroom 2015, 2016, etc) for OS compatibility and support during that time. With the old model, you'd have to pay extra for upgrades, and support, in that same time period.

One of the reasons for moving to this model is to make sure customers can keep up with the fast changing technology landscape where Apple and Microsoft are updating OSes every 12 months and introducing new hardware and devices at a faster and faster rate.

Hope that helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I sure wish that I could delete this comment. After I posted it, I learned how wrong I was. $10/mo is a fantastic deal for PS/LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 16, 2015 Nov 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am in the process of purchasing. Anybody can help me answer some questions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

can i buy photoshop CS6 Disc only, i have the serial key

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I am about to upgrade my computer and with it Photoshop. On NO ACCOUNT do I want the "cloud" version. Where.how can I get a normal copy of PS6 (educational package), with bridge, compatible with my Canon EOS 1dx and Canon 6 email su.stewart@live.co.uk

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 29, 2016 Jul 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bring back owned software to a reasonable price, for the home users. Do you think, that every user of Adobe's software, is a Hollywood production, which can afford to pay such sky high fees?

What about the home users? Why are they charged like a Hollywood production? It makes no sense logically, neither economically?

If Adobe attempted to create a hateful opinion on itself, and be extremely negligent to it's home users, i applaud you, mission accomplished, mission successful, we all sure hate you now.

On the other hand, if what you tried was to meet your home users as well as your business users, mission failed.

Don't play so precious, it's software, get over it, people are willing to pay for it too, but not pay ALL their money. Adobe's attitude is like that of a spoiled child, who doesn't want to share anything, and guess what (nobody likes those kids, no matter what they've got)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps you could get yourself together, admit the CC was Adobe's biggest mistake in the near future, and go back to owned applications, or at least, make such option available, to an affordable price for the average home users too!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you bring back owned applications, to an affordable price, thanks, that'd be all!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DUMP THE MANDATORY CC SUBSCRIPTIONS AND GIVE US WHAT WE WANT. PERPETUAL LICENSES!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go back to offering software as purchased standalone. Subscription only is a very bad idea and bad for longtime users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 04, 2017 Mar 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A lot of lifelong Photoshop users are switching to GIMP or paint.net, which are free and very similar to PhotoShop because of the subscription pricing.  Software is merely a tool, like a hammer, a hammer maker would never try to get the customer to pay a monthly fee to continue using the hammer.   BAD MOVE ADOBE... I will never buy your products again...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Mar 05, 2017 Mar 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apples and oranges. A hammer maker would also not improve the hammer regularly after you have already bought it.
-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 05, 2017 Mar 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What if you like the hammer exactly the way it is and don't want to upgrade for several years?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advocate ,
Mar 06, 2017 Mar 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If everyone did that, Adobe would have to charge much, much more for their software or go bust, or both. Just as the hammer-maker would go bust when everyone has a hammer, or switch to making screwdrivers! 😉

Bob Frost

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 06, 2017 Mar 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nonsense, everyone did that for decades and adobe made lots of money with the initial purchase being well over £600 and upgraded when the photographer wanted to. People take up photography all the time and buy stuff like that.  For your information, hammer makers sell hammers all the time, just because most people have got one, doesn't mean they don't sell any more! Your theory would only work if everone lived forever and no one was ever born!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 09, 2017 May 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The company which I'm working cannot add Adobe Cloud cause of company restrictions. Can I buy Adobe software without a subscription? I'll need Photoshop, Illustrator and Bridge. latest versions. thank you,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
May 09, 2017 May 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perpetual licenses are not being sold for Adobe CC products. 
So I guess you can
• either (at your own risk) try to purchase licenses for CS6 products from other sources than Adobe
• or try to amend your company’s policy
• or look into alternative software. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 15, 2017 May 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HA!  Good luck with that!

Adobe doesn't care.  It's pay them whatever they're charging (about US$10 per month now, but they can change it any time they want) and once you start paying, YOU CAN'T EVER GET OUT.

Votes

Translate

Translate