• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Ability to buy Photoshop as a perpetual license, instead of Creative Cloud

LEGEND ,
Mar 15, 2013 Mar 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand from a very reliable source that CS6 and Lightroom 4 will be the last photoshop software that will be available to actually purchase and own. In other words...You will not be able to purchase the software either on a disc or download that is yours to use indefinitely once you purchase the product. It will only be available via the cloud and everyone will be required to pay monthly license fee to use the product. This will allow all upgrades as long as you pay the fee...but if you cease to pay the fee, the software will be deactivated. If this is the case...and I believe it is...THIS SUCKS!

I have been Adobe user since I purchase the CS2 Creative Suite and used lightroom since it's inception. I have not purchase every upgrade, but have done so when I felt the changes warranted an upgrade. If Adobe insists on this business model, I will probably use one of the other photo editing product available on the market. There are several that will do most everything Adobe's software provides. I do not want to change...but Adobe's changes will force me to do so. I will purchase and use software...I WILL NOT "RENT" software which is what Adobe is proposing.

Idea Declined Locked
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Oct 05, 2021 Oct 05, 2021

We have no plans to offer Photoshop without a subscription.

Status Declined

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Feb 01, 2015 Feb 01, 2015
Hi Nina, Photoshop CS6 cost $699/$999 when it was available. But consider this: at that price you can have the Creative Cloud Photography Plan @ $9.99/mo for close to 6/8.5 years:

https://creative.adobe.com/plans/offer/photoshop+lightroom

The Creative Cloud Photography Plan includes Photoshop CC, Lightroom, Lightroom mobile, and get all the product updates/upgrades (e.g. Photoshop CC 2015, 2016, etc & Lightroom 2015, 2016, etc) for OS compatibility and support during that time. With the old mode...

Votes

Translate

Translate
45 Comments
Community Expert ,
May 17, 2017 May 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, some other applications can read psd-files so it may be possible to edit the files without CC later on but I suspect that this might aversely affect Smart Objects in particular. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 17, 2017 May 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the record....as the original poster of this thread....I have not purchased (nor do I plan to purchase) an Adobe photo related product since my original post.  I continue to use the products that I OWNED at the time.  If the time comes that it is inoperable...I will look elsewhere...but will not purchase a product with a so-called perpetual license.  Have I missed something?...maybe.  But as a casual (but avid) photographer I can still do everything I feel necessary to enjoy my photography.  Had I been able to purchase an updated version...I probably would have.  But as I promised in the original post...Adobe will not "rent" me anything!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,
May 18, 2017 May 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PhotoLine reads and imports PSD files with Smart Objects, and keeps them intact. Of course, PSD *is* a proprietary native Adobe file format, so some things will not be compatible. But PhotoLine's PSD import is one of the best ones around: it keeps most adjustment layers, layer effects, smart objects, text, groups, and so on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
May 18, 2017 May 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, good to read that Smart Objects are no problem in principle for non-Adobe image editors. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 19, 2017 May 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> But as I promised in the original post...Adobe will not "rent" me anything!>

Although my workflow means I will rent from Adobe until I can't afford to, and currently thoroughly enjoy the newer features that are only offered through the subscription, I also keep in touch with the apps that offer perpetual licenses (at least for now), in case the time comes when it doesn't make sense for me to stay. I hope that time doesn't come and the Photography plan continues to be very affordable, since I get the best of all worlds — Photoshop's raw power and the 3rd party apps and extensions that make good use of the power built in to PS.

I have noted that much of the competition will handle my PSD files, as will PSE, of course. So I don't feel I'm losing anything by renting. My files remain viable, and I'd be paying to upgrade regularly anyway.  I expect much of the competition finds it worth their while to stay compatible with PS and will going forward. The computing world isn't quite as proprietarial about their formats as they were when I first started buying personal software.

I know a lot of people who feel just like you about "renting," though. I would prefer the option to buy at least an older version— one that got renewed every so often, so as CS6 falls by the wayside, perhaps CC 2014 takes its place. But no one else offers (yet) what PS offers, so I have adjusted—with an eye on options, as I said.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 22, 2017 Dec 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom 6 will be the last "box" version, meaning desktop based rather than cloud based. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Over time the cost adds up and will end up costing you more than the standalone desktop versions. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

9.99/mo.....as long as you don't use more than 20 GB worth of storage. Even my old iphone holds more than that!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe can go from charging $10 a month to $25, $55, $105 -- whatever they want -- any time they want.

And once you're locked in to their "subscription" plan, good luck ever getting out:  a company I once worked for bought a subscription for a project.  It took a nasty letter from our corporate lawyer to get the automatic payments to stop after the project was completed.

I'm using CS 6 and will continue to do so until Adobe lets me buy a perpetual license again.  Or until CS 6 stops working, at which point I will switch to the ON1 product.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 12, 2018 Mar 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You require me to pay a monthly for for just the photoshop software. I'm not doing it. I think you can charge me a one time fee for the software. I don't want the cloud and don't want to pay for it. I just want to pay one time for software and use it indefinitely. Until you comply, I will not buy any of your products.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First off: I am not an Adobe representative! 
Have you actually calculated the costs of the Photography Plan for the likely length of your usage compared to perpetual licenses and upgrades for comparable products or Adobe’s previous licensing model? 

In any case if you are not willing to accept the licensing model Adobe has decided on then I guess there are alternatives available that either offer perpetual licenses (Affinity Photo for example) or are freeware (Gimp for example). 
From what I’ve read some of them may in some regards even offer superior features/performance. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

#MeToo

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 31, 2018 Oct 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i do not see what the problem is with some people, before PS went into the cloud, i could not afford the $100s to $1000s of dollars that were charged for this program.

this is a whole lot better idea of buying software, you get the latest versions( i agree that sometimes the update does not work for everybody) but most of the time it does.

and as to canceling a subscription, that is very easy to do. been there done that with illustrator,  used the program for what i wanted then canceled.

as to before when buying the program, you never DID!!. you only had a license to use it.
and then you had to pay more money to get a update.... very primitive if you ask me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 01, 2018 Nov 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So if you use photoshop several times a week and have done for years, then your income falls due to ill health, lower pay following redundancy and you have to cancel all but essential expenses, you also lose the tool that you need to fulfil your creativity! This is why perpetual licence is vital for those of us who regularlys use photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, West Side Railways, canceling a subscription is NOT easy to do.  My last employer before I retired rented Photoshop for a project.  When they had completed the project, they tried to cancel the subscription.

The debits to the corporate credit card continued, even after multiple calls to customer support.

Finally, our corporate attorney had to get involved.

That is what it's going to take to cancel a subscription.  Be sure to budget for a lawyer:  it will cost about as much as a perpetual license.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ken.barber
well, i do not know about you, but, it has worked for me.
just checked my adobe account  and i am only paying for PS digital.

Peter Leigh
so you are saying that you can not afford to buy the digital version,but, you can afford to buy the perpetual...   does not make sense to me.
well it depends on weather you need PS to bring in the money or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've never heard of "PS digital" and have no idea what it is.

Now to explain what life is like for us retired folks.

We live on something called a "pension," which for most of us isn't enough to actually make ends meet.  So, even ten dollars a month is too much for some of us.

And there's no guarantee that the price will remain at ten dollars a month.  Adobe can change it any time, to $20, $50, whatever they want.  And since you have given them access to your bank account, they will take it from you.

Once in a great while, most of us come across some kind of a windfall.  It is at those times that we CAN afford to buy a perpetual license, and continue using it until the next windfall comes along - sometimes years away.

Life for a retired person is like being a fiddler on a roof.

Does that explain it why I can afford a perpetual license but can't afford to rent my software?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Oct 05, 2021 Oct 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have no plans to offer Photoshop without a subscription.

Status Declined

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 01, 2022 Dec 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could use a few open source options. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 01, 2022 Dec 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate