• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop: Make "Blend Colors Using Gamma" a document setting

Contributor ,
Jun 01, 2012 Jun 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Blend Text/RGB Colors Using Gamma" should be a document or layer setting instead of a global setting. The user should have the ability to set the default option. There could still be a global setting for documents that don't have specified gamma blending settings.

Here's a simple scenario:
A designer makes a graphic in Photoshop CS5. The Star shape and text layers are each set to black with layer fill set to 45%. All Photoshop color settings are at default. The file is sent to a user with CS6 or the designer upgrades to CS6. The Shape and Text layers no longer look the same. Mass confusion.

The current settings are hidden away, like they aren't supposed to be messed with, yet I am seeing recommendations to disable Blend Text Colors Using Gamma: http://bjango.com/articles/photoshopc...

I was tempted to label this as a "Problem" rather than an "Idea."

There are simple workarounds for this issue, but you can't expect users to know what is happening in the first place, especially with how well hidden the gamma blending preferences are.
Idea No status

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
28 Comments
Dec 17, 2014 Dec 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris, it makes sense that this is a bug fix, and it would be great if it ONLY affected the anti-aliasing. But it's not a complete fix and that's what's ticking us users off:
1. Gamma blending also affects transparent text, making resulting colors unpredictable.
2. Rasterizing text outputs the 'raw' un-gamma'd pixels, again making text appearance unpredictable.
3. Same goes for Smart Objects - text appearance changes when converting to Smart Object.

I think that text looks better, but the inconsistency is a killer for a UI designs where I'm using smart objects regularly My 2 cents...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jul 06, 2016 Jul 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Instead of making a new post I want to chime in here. I see most people here are commenting regarding the gamma setting for text objects, but I want to focus on the "Blend RGB Colors Using Gamma" setting (a setting that *could* be useful but is currently poorly implemented).

That setting *really* is something that should be possible to enable per document, or per layer (like in Affinity Photo). Yes, it is an advanced feature and should be labeled as such (and disabled by default).

Gamma 1,0 gives the most correct/realistic blending of colors, and thus this is a setting we should have available. Right now, if you want to blend a single document using Gamma 1,0 (without converting to a linear color profile) it will not only affect your current document, but it will mess up the appearance of every layered document created since the dawn of time. That means you have to dig into the settings and remember to enable/disable it manually when switching between images. Not nice.  

It also means that if you create a document relying on custom gamma blending and send it to someone, it will render wrong when they open it (as on their computer the setting likely isn't turned on so it blends with the gamma defined by the color profile instead). Photoshop should know what settings a PSD document was created/saved with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 24, 2017 Feb 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Second this comment. We create text lockups to be used in multiple designs as linked smart objects. If any text within these smart objects has transparency, then it looks lighter than live text with the same transparency on it.

Votes

Translate

Translate