• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why 10GB space is consumed by Photoshop ?

Community Beginner ,
Aug 30, 2023 Aug 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Team,

In large MNCs, marketing teams are shifting away from Photoshop. So, as a in-house graphic designer of a MNC, I had a curosity to know why they are moving away. The most common answer was that - the latest version of Photoshop is consuming space of almost 10GB in their system. They just had to do some basic work like social media image, event/product marketing, cutout and resize, etc. So they are a sort of frustrated for the consumption of 10GB for these basic tasks. Hence they are planning to discontinue their subscription of CC.

So my suggestion would be, Please launch a new product as Photoshop Lite, which must be around 1or2GB in size and it happens to be like classic photoshop version of CC 2018 or 2017. And on the other hand, continue with the innovation and new implementions of technolgy in the main Photoshop and make it as large in size as possible as you are doing right now.

Basic PS Users, please share your thoughts below.

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
11 Comments
Community Expert ,
Aug 30, 2023 Aug 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"They just had to do some basic work like social media image, event/product marketing, cutout and resize, etc."

Are you aware of Adobe Express and Photoshop Express? I am testing both apps right now, it seems they offer everything you need.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Aug 31, 2023 Aug 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But is Adobe Express and Photoshop Express are in the form of a software or in-web software ? Also does those open .psd files smoothly ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Express is Web based, Photoshop Express is available for Desktop and on mobile. It can open RAW, PSD, TIFF and so on...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Bojan, for your suggestion but since we are familiar with the UI of Photoshop, Adobe Express and Photoshop Express is not comfortable to work. I just wondered what made Photoshop (version 24.7) 10GB in size. Using creative cloud, we cant downgrade back to CC2017/2018 versions which were only 1-3 GB in size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@AktarH 

In addition to Adobe Express and Photoshop Express mentioned by Bojan, there is also Photoshop Elements, which is has a perpetual license and some folks call "Photoshop Lite".

You can get a 30-day free trial and there is a 30% discount offer for the US and Canada running through Sep 4.

https://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop-elements/buy-elements.html

Here's a review:

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/adobe-photoshop-elements-2023-review-a-faster-simpler-suite-for-lea...

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

10 GB where? Be specific. Is that 10 GB RAM? in idle state, or with documents opened?

Or is it 10 GB disk space? Where? Installation files? Scratch files (TEMP working data)?

Generally, in the raster editing world, 10 GB is nothing. Under normal operation, you can have several hundred GB temp files (scratch) on disk. That's just because all that data has to go somewhere.

During work, Photoshop will normally saturate RAM up to the limit set in preferences. That's perfectly normal. Free RAM is wasted RAM.

In short, none of this sounds out of the ordinary. Image editing is just very I/O intensive. 

And I can't see that any of this has changed in the latest version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@D Fosse Bro!! I am talking about the storage space not RAM. I have taken below screenshot with cleared temp files and photoshop closed condition. See it is consuming more than 9GB and in few weeks it will cross 10GB. Thanks.

Coming to @jane-e. Our company has a adobe cc enterprise bundle license. So I will try to request installation from them and hope it will have similar UI as PS.

AktarH_1-1693489844510.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, so that's the installation files. There's no reason that should grow, that's read only - unless you've installed it in your user account or some other odd place.

I have 4.6 GB. Maybe that's "big", but honestly I haven't even looked at it until now.

installation1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@AktarH wrote:

Our company has a adobe cc enterprise bundle license

For an FYI, Photoshop Elements is not included with Creative Cloud subscriptions. PSE is not subscription; it has a perpetual license. I don't know about the Enterprise licenses.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@D Fosse Bro!!! I am curious now why mine is 10GB and yours is 4.6GB. Though we have the same verion installed 24.7.0.643.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Sep 01, 2023 Sep 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Adobe Photoshop install folder is 4gig. Photoshop also installs Adobe Raw support files in /ProgramData which is about 1.3gig then there is all the supporting info structure in the /Program Files / Common folder and C:/APPDATA on Windows about 1.5 gig, and UXP support and Sensei, cache for AI operations. There's Automatic Save recovery cache and add temp scratch disk space, I would guess is typically around 5-7 time the size of your working file with modest level use. It adds up quickly, 

Votes

Translate

Translate