• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Does Photoshop Elements 2022 install Creative cloud files?

New Here ,
Feb 08, 2022 Feb 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brand new iMac M1 yesterday. I set it up as-is right out of the box to start as fresh as possible. I launched Safari and logged into my Adobe account to download Adobe Photoshop Elements 2022. After doing so, I now have a Creative Cloud symbol in my menu bar at the top right of the screen. Did Elements put it there?  I do have an active subscription to CC -- it will expire in March, as I chose not to renew -- but I did NOT download any of CC's apps on my new Mac; I only downloaded and installed Elements 2022.

TOPICS
Download and install , Mac

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did Elements put it there?

Could be. There seems to be a recent, unofficial requirement for the Cloud desktop app to be installed in order to successfully install and activate recent versions of Elements (at least 2019, 2020, 2021 and 2022).

Some people have struggled to complete the installation successfully until they have installed the Cloud deskop app. Seems odd given that Elements is not a Cloud subscription product.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Further research is telling me that because Photoshop Elements 2022 can work with Raw images, that it installs CC because Camera Raw is part of CC. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Plausible, though Camera Raw in Elements is different to Camera Raw in Photoshop/Bridge.

Plus Elements has worked with Raw for many years. The Cloud desktop app requirement is a recent development.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 22, 2022 Feb 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Further research is telling me that because Photoshop Elements 2022 can work with Raw images, that it installs CC because Camera Raw is part of CC. 

By @Dani23062343dx3u

Nonsense,

The Camera Raw which is part of CC is the full Photoshop ACR version. It can't be used without a validating subscription, not at all with Elements. The limited PSE ACR version shares assets of the full ACR which are installed separately. That explains that a workaround to update the PSE ACR to new cameras requires copying and pasting some assets from the full ACR folders into the PSE ones. It seems that it works even with PSE2021 Windows store versions without the CCDesktop app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A creative cloud account can be a good thing- you can have one, yet not subscribe to anything. As John Waller mentioned one of the ways to "clear up some oddball installation issues" Zthe fix was to install the Adobe creative cloud app- and basically forget about it. 

I realize you know all the following, but others may not know what's in the app, and may be missing out. 

2022-02-08_163435.png2022-02-08_163318.png2022-02-08_163205.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 21, 2022 Feb 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Yes, CCD gets installed with Photoshop Elements 2022.

Regards

Vipin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 21, 2022 Feb 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@VipinGupta 

Any reason why since it's not a Creative Cloud product?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 22, 2022 Feb 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@VipinGupta 

Any reason why since it's not a Creative Cloud product?

By @John Waller

@VipinGupta 

My guess is that the Elements team is not really at liberty to give the real reasons WHY the CCD (Creative Cloud Desktop) is now systematically installed  (Global marketing strategy). We would be happy though to  get answers to HOW this is implemented.

- for instance, is CCD systematically installed in Mac and Windows store versions?

- How does it work with users already having a CC subscription and CCD already installed?

- With PSE2021, the CCD was only available for a number of 'test' users (my case). With PSE2022, the CCD is still installed (I suppose with PSE, since it launchs without me having any Cloud subscription active). What about the feature of saving files to the Cloud in PSE2021?) I'll keep PSE2021 installed together with PSE2022 to keep the feature.

Thanks in advance for answering similar factual questions, and if possible, would it be possible to group those partial answers in a new tech doc?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 04, 2022 Aug 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just RE-Installed PSE 2022 minutes ago (trying to stop two daily Notifications that PhotosopServer could not open). I am still getting those two useless Notifications and now I also get one saying Elements Auto Creations 2022 quit "unexpectedly" (Does anyone "expect" an app to Quit?!).

Searching for more useless files, I found the CC junk. No problem, there is a oh so handy "Uninstall Adobe Creative Cloud" alias (Does some other company make a "Creative Cloud" app/collection?! [rolleyes]). It is included with three other utilities cleverly stored in a "Utils" directory.

Stupid me, I double-clicked the Uninstaller and was rewarded with a dialog saying "Couldn't uninstall Creative Cloud for desktop. You still have Creative Cloud applications installed on your computer that require it." [headbash] Of course I do! Your PSE installer just installed them without my permission or even a notification, thank you very much!

Corporate behavior like this is the reason I won't be updating PSE again. Who in Adobe management "respectfully" thinks they can install anything on my computers?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Aug 05, 2022 Aug 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I installed PSE 2022 on my laptop a few weeks ago, I noticed that early during the installation that the Creative Cloud Icon was the first to appear on my desktop.

--
Walter in Davie, FL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 06, 2022 Aug 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This should not happen with the latest installer available here: https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/kb/photoshop-elements-downloads.html.

If you wish to remove CCD from your machine, please uninstall Elements 2022 and CCD, then use the latest installer from the above download page, it will only install Elements and not CCD.

Regards

Vipin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@VipinGupta wrote:

This should not happen with the latest installer available here: https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/kb/photoshop-elements-downloads.html.

If you wish to remove CCD from your machine, please uninstall Elements 2022 and CCD, then use the latest installer from the above download page, it will only install Elements and not CCD.

Regards

Vipin

Thanks for the info, sir! 👌

My last download of the Elements Installer was Aug 4, 2 days ago. It did have less than 100 bytes difference in the istaller I downloaded back in Nov 23, 2021. So it is entirely possible that I could have avoided the latest problems if I had but waited a couple of days. Stranger things have happened, I guess.

However, I discoverer that the "Elements Auto Creations.app" has some preferences! 👍 Disabled a few things and I am no longer seeing the Notifications about it "quiting unexpectedly". I think I have also been able to stop the "PhotoShopServer could not be opened" Notifications! 👏

While I have, apparently, no control over what Adobe installs, I have been able to finally stop the useless Notifications and at least part of the resource wasting that the corporation forces on customers. Hope everyone has a cooler Summer! 😁

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@VipinGupta, I was not complaining about CCD, I was just stating what happened during the installation. I also have a subscription to the Photoshop Photography Plan and Acrobat Pro DC. I don't intend to uninstall CCD because it is a valuable asset. Read about my problems installing PSE 2022 on my laptop here: https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-elements-discussions/photoshop-elements-2022-will-not-insta...

--
Walter in Davie, FL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 24, 2022 Aug 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you VivinCupta for this post, for this answer. I had already given up and probably would never have bought another version of PSE. Yesterday I started to test it and it works like I wanted it to. Great !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know this for sure but, based on a number of other posts I have seen where problems have been resolved by installing the CCD, the application is apparently used for license verification purposes.  As Michel has mentioned, the trial/beta feature available to some users in EO 2021 (saving to Cloud) is tied to the user's Adobe.com account.  It makes sense that this is one reason for installing the CCD app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Greg_S. wrote:

...installing the CCD, the application is apparently used for license verification purposes.

...(saving to Cloud) is tied to the user's Adobe.com account.  It makes sense that this is one reason for installing the CCD app.

Elements already had a "license verification" process. Of course, Adobe could have decided to save a few lines of code and remove that capability from PSE. The point remains; Adobe creates a need for more of the apps we have specifically chosen NOT to install/buy/use and completely fails to inform their customers. And, in my eyes, they simply decide to install links to those unwanted apps/services and then refuses to allow us to delete them.

BTW, I have read that "Save to Cloud" has been removed from the CC functions that are installed suripticiously.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...installing the CCD, the application is apparently used for license verification purposes.

...(saving to Cloud) is tied to the user's Adobe.com account.  It makes sense that this is one reason for installing the CCD app.

By @Greg_S.

Elements already had a "license verification" process. Of course, Adobe could have decided to save a few lines of code and remove that capability from PSE. The point remains; Adobe creates a need for more of the apps we have specifically chosen NOT to install/buy/use and completely fails to inform their customers. And, in my eyes, they simply decide to install links to those unwanted apps/services and then refuses to allow us to delete them.

BTW, I have read that "Save to Cloud" has been removed from the CC functions that are installed suripticiously.

By @xAirbusdriver

You mean:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop-elements/using/save-to-cloud-termination.html?mv=affiliate&mv2=red

The important thing to understand is that nowadays, the single word 'CLOUD' is a kind of explosive, something which triggers all sorts of panic from the imagination! In our discussion, there is absolutely nothing common between 'save to Cloud' and 'Desktop Creative Cloud'. Ok, a storing place in the Internet provided by Adobe instead of OneDrive, Google, Dropbox...

And a software managing platform for the dozens of Adobe pro apps who were created and aggregated under the pleasing marketing name: Creative Cloud.

That's what explains why many (mainly non-pros) users opposed to the subscription model used by those pro apps won't hear the simple word 'Cloud'. Of course, Adobe marketing must be aware of that situation, and that results only in timid explanations and mentions of both the file storing space and the managing platform.

If the managing platform had another name similar to the old (obsolete) AAM Adobe Application Manager and if the 2GB space had been named differently, we could discuss those matters in a more relaxed manner.

As a Windows user, I am puzzled why you are finding many '.apps' everywhere in Macs recently. It seems that the various functions quoted as apps have no direct correspondents in Windows, and are ways for Apple to better manage security permission issues. However, I do find a similar trend as yours to be able to control each and every module or service like the numerous background tasks offered in a global package.

Well, whether you like it or not, softwares with multiple features and having to run in any kind of hardware and OS environment are not sold in 'kits'. Some feel they know enough to sort and choose only what they need. Good luck for them. What I see is that Adobe's choice in their formulas is on the contrary to offer more than you need to, starting with the Photographer's plan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines