• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I print with the grid lines showing?

New Here ,
Nov 21, 2010 Nov 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can anyone help me with printing a picture which shows the grid lines I've added in PS9.

Thanks

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The grid in Elements isn't printable. It's just a visual reference. If you want grids, you will need to do them manually by making a pattern, with a grid paper generator, or a plug-in (filter).

Pattern option tutorials:

http://www.bluesfear.com/tutorials/Grid.htm

http://www.cbtcafe.com/photoshop/newgrid/newgrid.html

Graph and Grid paper generator:

http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/square.html

Note: Open PDF in Elements. Click okay to rasterize paper. Grid is over transparency.

plug in options:

Grid Generator (Windows Only) found here:  http://www.richardrosenman.com/software/downloads/

Grids (Windows and Mac versions):  http://www.users.cloud9.net/~gparet/photoshop/#grid

If I recall correctly, the Grids filter from cloud9 will appear under select instead of under filter in your menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Terri,

Thanks so much,

What I did find out is if I use the pencil feature and draw lines using the

ruler as a guide and then flatten the image it prints with my drawn lines.

This works for me as I'm a painter and want to use the grid as a reference

for larger paintings.

Thanks again for your suggestions, I'll check them out.

Errol

Chicago

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 22, 2010 Nov 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can also turn on the print crop marks option present  in Moe Options dialog box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 22, 2010 Nov 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• Hold down the SHIFT key while using the brush tool (or eraser, etc.) and you will get a straight line.

• If you access the Custom shape tool, then the shapes library, you will find a rudimentary grid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 13, 2012 Dec 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you haven't tried this already, simply find an image of a grid you like.  Drag it into or open it up in Photoshop/Elements.  PS will let you then let you EDIT/DEFINE Pattern, meaning you now have it as a usable pattern. (I assume Elements will do the same). Then create a LAYER and FILL it with the GRID Pattern you just defined.  And voila you have a grid that you can move where needed and can print.  I admit you might have to alter opacity to see it depending on what's in front AND that this is a simple feature PS/Elements should have.

Hope that helped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Dec 13, 2012 Dec 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Follow-up to tensace's suggestion of defining a grid pattern:

I found a grid at Google Images (there are lots of grids there) and used it to define a pattern.

Add a blank layer and fill with the pattern. Change the layer's Blend Mode to Multiply. The white background will disappear leaving just the grid lines.

grid.jpg

Another example of this at http://forums.adobe.com/thread/875370

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 20, 2014 May 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am a painter also, and I have found an easy way. I use the crop tool to make the gridlines on the photo, then hit the print screen button on the keyboard. I then load that photo with the lines on it into Photoshop CS6 and print it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 08, 2014 Jun 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brilliant! Lame that this big engine can't just let you print them with a click of the mouse though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 01, 2015 Jul 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a similar problem with a semitransparent checkerboard grid appearing as a background on graphics that should have a plain white background.  I never tried printing any of these, but to make the grid go away I found that simply selecting "Layer/Flatten Image" does the job.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 05, 2018 Dec 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use the built in grid line capability over the picture; do a print screen, then edit the print screen, which of course has the grid lines in the picture. Then crop the picture or do whatever you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 24, 2023 Apr 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes that is what I did just now. Thanks 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2020 Nov 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another way to print grid lines on your photo after you have the gridlines displayed, is to copy the screen shot (Shift/prt sc) and paste it to the Microsoft Paint app, crop it, and then print it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2023 May 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This may be stupid, but what I did was take a snip of the image with the snipping tool from photoshop with the grid lines. Then I just pasted that snip onto another layer and lined it up. Granted you are super limited with this approach, but I am printing a map for a table top game so it worked fine for me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2023 Nov 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Paste grid of same dimensions from illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines