• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Increase resolution when using the "create collage" function

New Here ,
Dec 13, 2020 Dec 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When using the "create" menu and selecting collage I can't figure out how to increase the picture resolution. I am combining three 24MP images and when I go to save my project as JPEG I realize the file has been reduced to 1800x1200 300 DPI. I want to print a canvas so this is way too small. The ability to resize in the image from "image" menu is also greyed out and not able to be selected. 

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you do it manually you will have complete control. You reference 300 DPI (dots per inch) which is determined by the printer. Resolution is expressed in PPI (pixels per inch). 300 px/in is a generally accepted resolution value for high quality prints.

Open your picture files, and go to Image>Resize>Image size and enter the values appropriate for your project, esp. 300px/in. Be sure that "constrain proportions" is checked. This will resample the file. Save it (save as) with another name so as not to overwrite the original.

After this is completed, go to File>New>blank file and enter the dimensions for your canvas, resolution=300px/in. ok it.

Copy/paste the 3 files on the canvas.

We look forward to your progress.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So to be clear, the "create" menu doesn't allow you to create images that
are printable? This would be a huge disappointment if that were the case as
I purchased this software to save time while creating fun printable
projects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My previous post addresses your inquiry as to resolution. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 14, 2020 Dec 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Blake5D95 

So to be clear, the "create" menu doesn't allow you to create images that
are printable?

On the contrary, as explained in my previous post.
You only have to specify the paper size and the image print size in the printing dialog. No resolution will be lost even if you print in A4, A3 or even A2 formats.

The feature is provided for beginners who don't know and care much about resolution, the 'smart' template takes care of that.

I would recommend to advanced users to play and have fun with this and learn about creating their own collage templages for normal use without the 'create' menu.

Adobe should provide a way to switch to the Expert mode or to guide users to .psd version in the project folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 14, 2020 Dec 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't use the collage feature myself because I have never needed it. As indicated by @hatstead It's so easy to customize your own collages with the normal tools of Elements!

However, I have been curious to see how you could print the collage with 300 ppi on an A4 paper for instance.

No problem in the print dialog to choose the paper size AND the print size on that paper, for instance 8" x 10".

I have checked in two ways that doing this does indeed keep the 300 ppi for the new 8" x 10" print size.

First, since I did not find a way to switch to the 'Expert' mode, I just went to the location of the project (the .pse): it showed the layered full size .psd version. The layer palette shows that the collage is built on "4 x 6" canvas  on which all elements are smart objects. That means that if you resize that file to A4 or even A3, the collage will use the original photos at their full resolution to place them in the new canvas. Tick the 'resample' box in the dialog box: resampling the empty canvas won't change anything and that will only upsample your image layers if their resolution is not enough (not your case). The A3 output is tack sharp.

Another way to check is to use the print command to a virtual pdf printer like the 'Microsoft print to pdf' included in Windows 10. You then open that pdf in the editor while specifying the size and resolution. Same result as above.

If the above seems too technical, just concentrate on locating the .pse project on your computer. Then open the .psd layered file in the editor. Open the menu Image >> Resize >> Image size. Enter your new dimensions and resolution while having all 3 option boxes checked. Save in your prefered format, jpeg, psd, tiff...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines