• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why do my file sizes shrink when I use Process multiple files to rename?

Explorer ,
Jul 06, 2021 Jul 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They are jpg and that is not changed in the renaming but a 1 Meg image is reduced to a few hundred Kbs after the renaming process.   I do NOT have File type (Conversion) checked.   I just need to rename files because my camera regenerates the same image numbers as file names.  What do I need to do to keep the same image quality during the renaming process?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

TOPICS
How to , Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 06, 2021 Jul 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using the 'process multiple files' in the editor means opening each file, applying the selected options, even if it's renaming only. Then the file is re-saved. If it's a jpeg, that means a new compression. You can get a smaller or bigger file size, never the same.

You can try to change the option for the jpeg size to get about the same size, but the file will be recompressed anyway.

In your case, renaming the file is not necessary if you use the organizer. With my old Canon cameras, I have many different files with the same file names. The organizer recognizes they are not duplicates and will allow importing them. If your destination choice results in importing in the same subfolder, automatically, a suffix will be added at import time.

If you have a set of files you want to rename only, use the organizer to 'export as new files' and choose a common starting name.

If you want the best flexibility in renaming, use the advanced options of the downloader at import time. It's the last option in the advanced modification of the name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 18, 2022 Mar 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First off, I appologize for the late response.  I never received any notice that anyone replied to my message.    I appreciate your taking the time to reply even if it was NOT an answer I wanted to hear.   My "take away" from your reply was that basically I need to rename each photo taken manually in order to retain the file size/resolution.    I'm not comfortable with multiple files with the same name installed on the same computer.     My "set  of files" is just a collection of photos taken over time.   I like to save them to my computer to open up space for new images on my camera and/or phone.   

It seems a shame that PSE is not able to save the as a different name without automatically compressing it, essentially destroying the image quality but "it is what it is".    I had hoped that I just missed a setting somewhere.    Thanks for the eductation and again, I'm sorry that I did not see your message earlier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 18, 2022 Mar 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@imaquila 

As explained in my previous answer, with the organizer there is no need to rename your files if your camera issues the same sequence of file names. I don't myself. The reason is that I absolutely never search my photos by file name, I have all the other data in the catalog, including exif, tags, captions etc.

If you have good reasons to avoid absolutely duplicate filenames or if you want the filename to be descriptive, then it's best done at import time from your camera. Renaming after import would be an additional batch step compared to the automatic renaming while importing. Just have a look at all the renaming options available to you in the advanced mode of the downloader.

If you want to rename files already imported in your catalog using one of the many free renaming utilitities available outside of the organizer, start with checking that you have no 'missing files'. Rename your files externally and search for missing files. Then use the 'reconnect' function guiding the reconnecting to the relevant folders.

If your files with the duplicate filenames are already on your computer BUT not yet imported in the catalog, I suggest copying them to a large USB thumb drive, which can be used as a camera card by choosing to 'Import from camera or card reader' instead of  'from files and folders'. That allows using the advanced renaming options mentioned above as well as importing in a date based folder structure. Copying on a large card and importing would work the same. I like that solution after an event of several days after which the date based subfolders are automatically created.

-

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines