Highlighted

2021 slow and laggy P.O.S

Participant ,
Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm going to start this new thread for the new version of photoshop. 
There are hundreds of comments about 2020 being slow and laggy and not a single adobe rep has even acknowledged it. I was hoping the upgrade would solve everyone's issues but alas that isn't the case. 

So this thread is for all you old and newcomers with new and old machines where photoshop runs like crap to complain about. Maybe their newest software might be seen for them to do something.  

I'll go first: 
Ryzen 9, 64 gigs of 3200 ram, 1080 ti gfx, 1nvme 3200mb.s ssd for programs, 1 tb sata sdd cache drive, 2 tb WD black for files. 

Photoshop takes almost 3 seconds to do simple things like changing to a shape pen tool to make shapes. 
Lags on anything pen tool, and type tool
Played with every setting in the performance and went through their pages on optimizing. 
I even went through the Nvidia setting but only gained a slight boost in performance. 

TOPICS
Bug, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

2021 slow and laggy P.O.S

Participant ,
Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm going to start this new thread for the new version of photoshop. 
There are hundreds of comments about 2020 being slow and laggy and not a single adobe rep has even acknowledged it. I was hoping the upgrade would solve everyone's issues but alas that isn't the case. 

So this thread is for all you old and newcomers with new and old machines where photoshop runs like crap to complain about. Maybe their newest software might be seen for them to do something.  

I'll go first: 
Ryzen 9, 64 gigs of 3200 ram, 1080 ti gfx, 1nvme 3200mb.s ssd for programs, 1 tb sata sdd cache drive, 2 tb WD black for files. 

Photoshop takes almost 3 seconds to do simple things like changing to a shape pen tool to make shapes. 
Lags on anything pen tool, and type tool
Played with every setting in the performance and went through their pages on optimizing. 
I even went through the Nvidia setting but only gained a slight boost in performance. 

TOPICS
Bug, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 28, 2020 8
Explorer ,
Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too am experience performance lag in Photoshop 2021.  For instance, there is a stuttery lag when using the hand tool to pan across the image.  I have an extremely powerful computer with the most updated drivers on NVIDIA's flagship GPU.  System specs:

Windows 10 / Intel i9 18-core  /  128Mb RAM / NVIDIA TITAN RTX / NVMe SSDs (dedicated Scratch, OS, Storage)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 28, 2020 3
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

Have you tried turning off your Graphics Processor Card and restarting? Here is a help doc with some of the workarounds while the engineers are trying to fix the issue: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/known-issues.html#ProgramErroropeningfiles\

Let us know if that helps, or if you are still experienceing the lagginess.

Michelle

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 28, 2020 0
Participant ,
Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if you mean turning off graphic acceleration off. Yes, I've played with all states of the gpu

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 28, 2020 0
Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply.

I do have another question. Did you also check to see if you card has an update? I know it sounds obvious, but I have to ask!

Thanks!

Michelle

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 28, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Michelle, I'm not sure who you're asking, but I have indeed updated my GPU to the latest firmware. It is the NVIDIA Titan RTX

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 28, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

D'oh! Not firmware.... I meant latest studio driver.  I've also updated to the latest CUDA developer's toolkit as of today.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 28, 2020 0
New Here ,
Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm losing my mind.  Saving images takes up to 10 minutes, actions that pre-update took 1 minute are not taking 15 minutes.  My workflow is dead and I'm falling so far behind in my work.  I've tried to get help three times in the past two days.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 28, 2020 2
Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you migrate back to the older version of Photoshop so you can keep working while they fix the issues?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 28, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Nov 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey @mglush , is there any way to roll back to CC 2019? It was working flawlessly for me and since I upgraded to CC 2020 it has been nothing but problems. 

I can't find CC 2019 to download in creative cloud, has adobe already dropped support to a stable photoshop version?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 22, 2020 0
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just made the mistake of getting a Photoshop subscription. Companies that release P.O.S. like this are criminal.  Do it right or don't do it at all. I'd expect all of this lag while I use any PS tool from a bootleg version. I spend 50% of my time working and the other 50% watching the rainbow wheel of death spin as Adobe charges my credit card. We might as well grab CS3 from Chinatown.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 05, 2020 1
Nov 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Paul,

We are so sorry you are having these issues! The engineers are working on getting these fixed, so if you could give us a little more information about the issue it would be really helpful.

If you have the beach ball of death, it sounds like you are working on a Mac, is that correct?

Have you checked your system requirements for the new version? Here is some information that might help: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/system-requirements.html

Also, have you checked the requirements for you Graphics Processor Card? Here is the newest information about what is needed to run the latest version of Photoshop: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-cc-gpu-card-faq.html

And, have you read the link above earlier in the thread about the known issues that engineers are working on? That will give you the steps to turn off your GPC and see if it's the culprit. 

Please let us know if these help, or if you are still having issues.

Michelle

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 05, 2020 0
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah everything is worse - slow glitchy with black blocks squares temporarily covering the images as I look at color or tonal changes on images of every size - I am updated on an up to date imac with over 60GB of memory / RAM - with over 40 dedicated to PS , Previously I had been running PS 2019 with almost no issues - and this update has really really dragged down all general performance. Is it possible to go back to PS 2019 ? please let know how if possible would like to do it ASAP - it worked great , and the 2021 has just been a significant downgrade in performance, and a time waster  - thanks BestBiLLS

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 16, 2020 0
Participant ,
Nov 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Similiar issues here...

Running Photoshop 22.0.1 on a 2019 Mac Pro (macOS 10.15.7 Catalina) with plenty of RAM, scratch disk space, etc.

Some Photoshop tools are very slow.

For example, Lasso Tool used to draw small space to add to current selection takes approx 5 seconds to add selection. First selection goes okay, but additional selections lag badly.

Same results with brush tool in Content Aware Fill preview when attempting to brush to add or delete content source pixels.

Thanks for your responses so far. Would be great if this can get fixed soon.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 22, 2020 1
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I experience some heavy lags and stuttering in PTS 2021. Then I noticed the grids for snapping popped up very briefly whenever that happened so I went to View and disable Extra (hotkey Ctrl H). Or you can disable Smart grids. These solutions momentarily did it for me (although it will likely be back within an hour). Let me know if this helps.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 09, 2020 2
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated after being bugged numerous times to update my payment information to renew my subscription, so I did, and now Photoshop is about unusable with the same issues.  What the Hell is going on Adobe.  Photoshop is so laggy now and workflow is horrible.   I have an EVGA Nvidia 3090 RTX Graphics Card, and an i9-9940X CPU with 14 Cores and a ridiculous amount of memory in my systerm.  This is fully your product and whatever these last updates were totally screwed it up.  Please fix this POS, I can't get any work done now.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 26, 2020 0