Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Please Provide Support for the WebP Image format

LEGEND ,
Jul 04, 2013 Jul 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Photoshop Team (as well as the Illustrator and Edge Tools Team):

The format improves upon .jpeg and .png use cases today while at the same time providing 2x-3x smaller file sizes at the same, comparable quality settings.

According to the image specificaitons, "WebP supports lossless transparency (also known as alpha channel) with just 22% additional bytes. Transparency is also supported with lossy compression and typically provides 3x smaller file sizes compared to PNG when lossy compression is acceptable for the red/green/blue color channels" (https://developers.google.com/speed/w...).

Being able to used on the latest Android devices an the latest versions of Chrome and Opera (I know they both use Blink, and thus it isn't a surprise that both support it already), according to caniuse.com, it is sort of reasonable to consider I think.

Idea Released
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 21, 2022 Feb 21, 2022

Native WebP support was added to Photoshop 23.2: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/whats-new/2022-1.html#support-for-webp

Status Released

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 137 Replies 137
137 Comments
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2020 Nov 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tons of media heavy sites are using webp. Why isn't this supported? Even Safari supports it now. What the hell Adobe? Why is this taking so long?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JeffreyTranberry blech. I want NATIVE support not some 3rd party download. If I wanted to download 3rd party tools why would I subscribe to CC which is an all encompassing solution to my media editing needs?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*daniel_sadinoff I agree. I'm frustrated that I can't even edit the images. We pay for a product, we aren't trying to hack our way around it as a solution from the company providing the product.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

^^BUMP^^ This has been an open issue for 7 years now, I don't see why it's a problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 30, 2020 Nov 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The WebP file format is becoming increasingly common in the web sector. It’s therefore essential that Photoshop 2021 supports this file format natively.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Dec 03, 2020 Dec 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WOW, Adobe is completly out of touch with reality here! The Webp image format is used by almost every caching plugin and webdesigner on this planet, yet we still have to beg Adobe to finally open this format natively in Photoshop. We are paying 1000 USD + a year for a creative cloud membership and need to buy a third party plugin just to open one of the most important file formats on the web? Incredible considering that Adobe employs 22,635 people. I bet you the guy who does the wepb plugin works alone. So sad, but so Adobe!

PS: I am very glad that with the latest release of Photoshop, we can now transfer makeup and lipstick from one image to the other. So important. I hope my cynicism is taken with a grain of salt.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 17, 2021 Jan 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*BUMP* Can we have this feature yet, please? Will an Adobe representative tell us what the hold-up is? Licensing? Pride? C'mon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 22, 2021 Jan 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Red Point,

I was able to get the following the plug-in, WebPShop and was able to open webP files in Photoshop.

I agree, Adobe should support this natively but Adobe like Apple, you have to use the feedback form to request it as they probably don't read these forms.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 04, 2021 Feb 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please support WEBP natively. It's been around long enough now and wide spread enough you should provide support. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 06, 2021 Feb 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please add support for WEBP.  Photoshop is not complete without it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 10, 2021 Feb 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please consider to add a native support to webp image format

thanks 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Feb 11, 2021 Feb 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any chance of getting native support Adobe, rather than having to use third party tools?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 18, 2021 Feb 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use JPEG 2000 that supports transparency. It is a next generation format. It comes out of the box for Photoshop. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 18, 2021 Feb 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JPEG 2000 isn't well supported by web browsers as it is only supported by Safari. WebP is finally gaining support by all of the major players. JPEG 2000 is also over 20 years old. JPEG XR is the next evolution of that technology, but is also not yet supported by most web browsers. WebP makes much more sense at this time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 27, 2021 Feb 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I support for .webp too. Apple supports is now on Safari on iPads and I suspect will support it soon on Macs. (2/27/21). Probably in the next release of Catalina.

Abode has always been good about keeping up and I hope this is not an exception. Plug-ins are not the answer for a widely used format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 27, 2021 Feb 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I encourage Adobe to support .webp on both Photoshop and Lightroom. It is becoming used on several browsers and Apple supports it in Safari on ipads. I suspect Safari support on macs will follow soon. 

Adobe has always been good about supporting new formats. I think a plug-in is not a good permanent solution.

2/27/21

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 03, 2021 Mar 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This post is from back in 2013 and there is still no native support for WebP. The plugin listed as an official solution isn't even updated for Creative Cloud. This needs to be implemented.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 03, 2021 Mar 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I teach Photoshop. I tell my students it is a great professional app and if they want to have a graphics career they need to know how to use it. Then they come to me and ask why it can't handle webp format. They say that it handles a bunch of formats they have never heard of or will use, but not one they encounter every day. They want to know why it is "the" professional app if it is not keeping up with the industry and why such an expensive program can't open a simple web picture when free apps can. So, Adobe what should tell them?

Come on Adobe, I spent over thirty years developing and managing software projects mostly in the graphics industry. This is a simple thing to do. We pay you a lot of money to provide professional quality tools, we don't pay you to play politics with Google. Are you trying to make Photoshop go the way of Flash?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 11, 2021 Mar 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

GetHub's plug-in to open * webp files and save as * webp file doesn't work for me. Adobe does not support help with a third-party plug-in. Although the help offered was determined that she would arrange the solution for me, the plug-in did not work anyway. Difficult and inconvenient and time consuming to visit an online converter every time. The question remains; Who has a satisfactory solution for opening and saving as of * webp files in photoshop?

In het Nederlands:

De plug-in van GetHub om *webp bestanden te openen en om op te slaan als *webp bestand werkt bij mij niet. Adobe ondersteund geen hulp bij een third-party plug in. Hoewel de aangeboden hulp gedecideerd was dat zij de oplossing voor me zou regelen, bleek de plug-in toch niet te werken. Lastig en onhandig en tijdrovend om daar telkens een online converter voor te bezoeken. Resteerd de vraag; Wie heeft een afdoende oplossing voor het openen en opslaan als van *webp-bestanden in photoshop?

[email address removed by moderator]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is user to user forum, better place to talk to Adobe employees and engineers is here https://feedback.photoshop.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

GetHub's plug-in to open * webp files and save as * webp file doesn't work for me. Adobe does not support help with a third-party plug-in. Although the help offered was determined that she would arrange the solution for me, the plug-in did not work anyway. Difficult and inconvenient and time consuming to visit an online converter every time. The question remains; Who has a satisfactory solution for opening and saving as of * webp files in photoshop?

In het Nederlands:

De plug-in van GetHub om *webp bestanden te openen en om op te slaan als *webp bestand werkt bij mij niet. Adobe ondersteund geen hulp bij een third-party plug in. Hoewel de aangeboden hulp gedecideerd was dat zij de oplossing voor me zou regelen, bleek de plug-in toch niet te werken. Lastig en onhandig en tijdrovend om daar telkens een online converter voor te bezoeken. Resteerd de vraag; Wie heeft een afdoende oplossing voor het openen en opslaan als van *webp-bestanden in photoshop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Mar 29, 2021 Mar 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WebP is everywhere now... It's really hot in web development, especially with Google's Core Web Vitals performance metrics rolling out imminently:

Serve images in next-gen formats

Image formats like JPEG 2000, JPEG XR, and WebP often provide better compression than PNG or JPEG, which means faster downloads and less data consumption.

https://web.dev/uses-webp-images/

Dear Photoshop, please support WebP natively.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 24, 2021 Apr 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's about time Photoshop has native WebP integration. 3rd party plugins are available but i've been told by support that using them will break my Program. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 27, 2021 Apr 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WebP has become a dominant image format on many web sites. I'm having to use Irfanview to convert WebP images since (as of 27 Apr 2021) my Photoshop CC 2021 still does not provide a native Webp format import capability!

I need this every day in my work. Please, please add WebP import!   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Apr 27, 2021 Apr 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I reached out to a Photoshop Product Manager about this, and here's the latest:

Good to hear from you. We do sometimes hear about customers asking for WebP support, among many many other things. We are considering it for a future update, but in the meantime, there are multiple free plug-ins that add WebP support to Photoshop:

https://developers.google.com/speed/webp/docs/webpshop

http://www.telegraphics.com.au/sw/product/WebPFormat

Votes

Translate

Translate