Highlighted

Video files will no longer open in latest PS and Mojave

Community Beginner ,
Jan 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When trying to open MOV and MP4 files in Photoshop 20.0.1 on my Macbook running Mojave, I get the error message "Could not complete your request because the video file could not be opened".

Screen Shot 2019-01-11 at 10.27.02 PM.jpg

Video file will open in PS19

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Video files will no longer open in latest PS and Mojave

Community Beginner ,
Jan 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When trying to open MOV and MP4 files in Photoshop 20.0.1 on my Macbook running Mojave, I get the error message "Could not complete your request because the video file could not be opened".

Screen Shot 2019-01-11 at 10.27.02 PM.jpg

Video file will open in PS19

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jan 11, 2019 1
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi jonnyyoshi,

Sorry to hear that you cannot open mp4 and mov files in Photoshop as you're getting an error message "Could not complete your request because the video file could not be opened".

Could you please update to the latest version of Photoshop CC from the Creative Cloud desktop app and see if the issue persists. See Keep Adobe Photoshop up to date

Also, so you get this error message while opening a specific video file or does that happen with all the files?

Thanks,

Akash

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 04, 2019 1
New Here ,
May 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this same issue with PS2019 version 20.0.4 (currently up to date)

Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017 iMac

Mojave 10.14.4

3.8 GHz Intel Core i5

32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4

I have tried opening .mp4 (H.264),

.mov (prores 422 & . h.264) at both 1080p and 720p

I get the same error as OP.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 09, 2019 1
Explorer ,
Jun 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think this is a coincidence and needs to be addressed.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 13, 2019 0
Explorer ,
Jun 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same exact issue. Happened overnight.

I was able to open video files on older versions of PS though.

System:

iMac Pro (2017)

Mojave: 10.14.5

Processor: 3.2 GHz Intel Xeon W

Memory: 32 GB 2666 MHz DDR4

Graphics: Radeon Pro Vega 56 8 GB

Photoshop Version: 20.0.4 (Latest as of this post.)

Cant open video in Photoshop (Could not complete the Video Frames to Layers command because the file...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 13, 2019 1
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a similar problem and adobe support worked on it for hours.  Finally by removing everthing adobe and reinstalling new files I was able to open video files in Photoshop and Lightroom.  Unfortunately, after a short while the problem came back.   I guess I will live with it.   I have a Macbook Pro and am using Catalina OS

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 04, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

almost a year later did you figure out how to get it to work?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 30, 2020 0
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue with a MOV file but fixed it by  re-exporting my original video file through Media Encoder - H.264 Match Source - Hi Bitrate MP4. I'm currently using PSD 2020 and Mac OS Catalina. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 11, 2020 1
New Here ,
Jul 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm up to date on everything, and I have run into the same issue you are all having. Some of my ,MOV videos will open and others will. I was hoping to find some magic solutation, but so far the only thing that has worked for me is going to "get info" and just changing the file name from ".MOV" to ".MP4". It will ask if you want to change it, and then it will automatically change it without having to use a third party app. It works for me. I hope that helps any of you!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 18, 2020 0
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me! Thanks

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 25, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ever find a solution???

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 30, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't get videos to open in PS 2021, 2020, or 2019. Did you ever find a solution to this?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 30, 2020 0