• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Issues with Premiere 23.5 on M2 Ultra Studio

Community Beginner ,
Jul 20, 2023 Jul 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using premiere for over 15 years now. I have never experinanced such a buggy version. Ever since I got the MAC STUDIO M2 Ultra, Premiere has been nothing short of a nightmare. From issues of editing with two monitors, two video not being played on the timeline. Massive lagging. Not able to render anything. Someone FIX this version. Come out with an update already. 

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
Editing and playback , Performance or Stability

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Apr 02, 2024 Apr 02, 2024

Just in case anyone has the same issue I was having, found out the root cause was the Sony Catalyst Prepare plugin which was the cause of all my woes. After removing the plugin, Premiere is behaving normally. Shout out to Kyle P. for helping me isolate the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 4 Pinned Replies

Adobe Employee , Aug 14, 2023 Aug 14, 2023

I have a quick update for anyone experiencing poor playback performance on M2 Mac Studio Multi-display setups.

We've identified an issue where disabling the MacOS system setting "Displays have separate Spaces" under "Desktop & Dock" degrades playback performance. By default this setting is enabled.

We're still working on an official resolution but in the meantime you can try re-enabling that setting as a workaround (requires system reboot to take effect) 

KylePlumadore_0-1692053164067.png

Let me know if you had that setti

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Dec 01, 2023 Dec 01, 2023
Hi all - another update:

Apple has identified the source of the bug. I anticipate that it will be fixed in a future MacOS update.  My understanding is that it's a complex bug to fix, so it may take additional time to get fixed in the OS.

To facilitate a quicker improvement for users, Apple has also provided us with an application side code change which will workaround the bug. This change is available for testing now in the latest Premiere Pro Beta (24.2.0.34) dated 2023-12-01.  I've verified

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Feb 15, 2024 Feb 15, 2024

I'm happy to share that Premiere Pro 24.2.1 contains the fix for the M2 Studio multi-display playback performance bug I previously described here:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-bugs/issues-with-premiere-23-5-on-m2-ultra-studio/idc-p/14007966#M13412

This means that playback performance with the system setting “Displays have separate Spaces" disabled should now be on par with that setting enabled in Premiere Pro 24.2.1 and later.

Please note that if you are experiencing an issu

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Mar 11, 2024 Mar 11, 2024

Hello @Igal Hecht,

A product team member listed your bug as fixed, so I marked it as such. I appreciate your patience while they were fixing the problem.

Thanks,
Kevin

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 145 Replies 145
145 Comments
Contributor ,
Jul 27, 2023 Jul 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have sent my ktrace to kyle too. Waiting since then.

But news from the testfront: iit's clear: the longer and larger (HDvs4k) the clips, the bigger the cpu percentage (up to 2000%) and thus the performance problems up to the lack of any reaction when hitting play for 10 seconds or leaving out 20of25 frames (no kidding!). 

BUT: I have also noticed, that it works with a brand new, smaller project. I haven't cut anything yet (the other project has an allmost ready to export 90minute timeline), just consolidated/synced the shooting days (2 cams and external audio) in sequences. And with these Premiere is using under 100% and behaves well. 

And: I am using PrP 23.4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interestingly, if you put Premiere Pro into full screen mode (no dock showing etc), then performance is VASTLY improved. Just as you'd expect or a £4,000 Mac. So this has to be a Premiere Pro bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to everyone who provided traces. We're still parsing through some of the traces. If anyone would like to contribute theirs, I can add them to the queue (plumador@adobe.com

A handful of traces point to a playback performance bug that occurs specifically with multi-display configurations + M2 Ultra. We can see this clearly in the traces, but we don't yet have the root cause. It does not appear to be due to system load.

Most users experiencing this have reported that shrinking or maximizing the application window or stretching it across displays works around the bug for now. 

As far as we have seen, this bug is limited to multi-display configurations. If you experience poor performance even with a single display setup, it's likely to be a separate issue than many of the reports we've recieved. Feel free to email your trace anyway, or to create a new Community Support bug report.

I'll provide another update here as soon as I have more info to share.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Kyle, for analysing! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 28, 2023 Jul 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not just with M2 based systems. My Ryzen based PC was fine until 23.4 and now the lag is absolutely atrocious. It's genuinely impossible to use. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Aug 14, 2023 Aug 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a quick update for anyone experiencing poor playback performance on M2 Mac Studio Multi-display setups.

We've identified an issue where disabling the MacOS system setting "Displays have separate Spaces" under "Desktop & Dock" degrades playback performance. By default this setting is enabled.

We're still working on an official resolution but in the meantime you can try re-enabling that setting as a workaround (requires system reboot to take effect) 

KylePlumadore_0-1692053164067.png

Let me know if you had that setting disabled, and whether re-enabling it helps.

Note: If you're experiencing poor playback performance on a configuration that is not specifically a M2 Mac Studio with multiple displays, it's almost certainly a different issue than the primary one being raised in this thread and I'd encourage you to create a new thread/topic with the specifics of your setup.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Aug 17, 2023 Aug 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kyle Plumadore

I identified a number of irregularities in the way Premiere Pro interacts with macos spaces in January.

I got no responses or feedback from Adobe on that.

R.

@Kyle Plumadore 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kyle, that worked for me!  I had tried every other tweak / fix / work around that I could think of, and the only one that had worked previously is when I went down to a 1 screen set up.  Keeping "Displays have seperate spaces" selected fixed the playback issue for me with all 3 monitors still plugged in.  I never would have thought of that.  I've used multiple desktop spaces for editing for many years, and it's always made sense to have them change in unison:  Often editing software like Premiere benefits from the additional real estate, so I would keep my bins in one screen, then timeline and monitors on the other.  Keeping "displays have seperate spaces" enabled almost defeats the purpose of having multiple screens, as then your only swapping spaces on one monitor instead of all.  Anyway, thank you for the work around!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, I should have included that I'm on a M2 Ultra, 24 Core, 128GB memory, 60 core gpu, with three external 4K monitors plugged in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes! This worked for me also!

M2 Ultra, 3 displays, 64Gb 1Tb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Aug 23, 2023 Aug 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the exact same problem.  Multi Cam on this M2 Studio Ultra is terrible. Not pleased that my 4,000 is wasting company time, getting stuck and creating so many issues. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Aug 23, 2023 Aug 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you haven't already, check out the pinned reply about keeping Displays have separate Spaces enabled if you don't already.  You have to log out or restart for it to take effect.  Doing so fixed all my issues.  Its a good workaround until they get a fix coded in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Aug 26, 2023 Aug 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kyle, Any idea when an update for this will be realeased? I'm having the same issue, and having this setting enabled is putting a hurt on my workflow. I just bought this M2 Ultra Mac Studio, and so far I am having several huge problems, but only in After effects. Just curious when an update will be pused out. Thanks in advance for any light you can shed on this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 05, 2023 Sep 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. I just received my Mac Studio M2 Ultra and furthermore I configurated it  out with maximum specs.

Therefore, I was really surprised to see how it's not taking on tasks in premiere pro better than my old M1 MacBook...

Something is up, because I have a 10 000 € computer here and it doesnt deliver close to what it should be in PP...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Incase you didn't see it, take a look at the pinned reply in this thread:  They've figured out the issue and it has to do with the Displays have seperate spaces setting.  The workaround is makeing sure that is selected, restarting, then you'll get the performance you should.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have multiple displays, only one, so that cannot be the issue. Either PP is not compatible with the M2 Ultra specs yet because there should be a considerable performance boost and speed boost in this computer. I'm supposed to be able to handle 22 streams of 8K in PP, but I cannot even handle ONE. Now something is way off...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@defaultn2u7xxn1nv7a Premiere Pro is definitely compatible with the M2 Ultra. As mentioned by @Baconpostthere is an outstanding known issue where playback stutters with multiple displays when using separate spaces for each display.

Are you able to share a sample project/media that you're seeing issues with so we can take a look in house? I can provide an upload location if needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've disabled the separate spaces, and had similar problems.  Primarily when I had multicam projects going. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@roberts95572240 The separate spaces bug appears to impact all workflows equally. If you're hitting issues specifically while editing/(playing?) multicam, it's likely a different underlying root cause.

If you are able to share a reproducing project+media, that would be the straightest path to me being able to better understand/triage your issue.

If you are not able to share, describing your workflow in more detail would help - e.g. how many streams, what resolution/codec/camera, any effects applied, etc. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 07, 2023 Sep 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is THE answer!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 08, 2023 Sep 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone else still experiencing this issue? I am only using one monitor so @Kyle Plumadore solution doesn't apply to me. I tried a solution from another thread which suggested mirroring the display and opening with rosetta. This worked for a bit but then the preformance slowed down again.

m1 14 inch macbook pro connected to apple studio display.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Sep 13, 2023 Sep 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Neal3216402676k2 

Sorry to hear that you are also having an issue.

You might want to start a new, separate thread to get troubleshooting suggestions for your 14-inch M1 MacBook Pro with an external monitor.

While you could try the solution proposed above (Displays Have Separate Spaces), this is specifically for a know issue with the Mac Studio M2 Ultra with two displays.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Sep 19, 2023 Sep 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin - you will note that 3 months later, this documentation is still incorrect and has not been updated.

If Adobe can't maintain such basic documentation and if it can't update incorrect information when it is pointed out and itemized, how can users trust Adobe to get anything right about the software?

This is basic stuff.

@Kevin-Monahan 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Sep 19, 2023 Sep 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Remote Index,

You, or anyone in the community, can provide direct feedback to the documentation team. At the bottom of each Helpx page is a widget where you can provide feedback. It says, "Was this page helpful?"

Screenshot 2023-09-19 at 10.44.13 AM.png

If you have a complaint, click "Not Really." You can provide feedback there. I've been told by my manager that community members should provide feedback to the documentation team in this manner. I hope that's OK.

Sorry about the documentation issues.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 20, 2023 Sep 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, when can we expect an update that solves this problem. I know, the workaround to checkmark the Item "Displays have seperate spaces", solves the problem, but is just a workarond. I don't want to work with this checkmark on. So when will this problem be solved? Thank You!

Votes

Translate

Translate