• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

3db shift when importing audio to Adobe Premiere Pro

Explorer ,
Jul 11, 2021 Jul 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why does the audio volume change from -3db to -6db when adding an audio file to the timeline in Adobe Premiere Pro? I exported it from Adobe Audition.

I am using the newest version of Premiere Pro. 

TOPICS
Audio , Editing , Error or problem , Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 11, 2021 Jul 11, 2021

In short, this is due to the Pan Law. (Google for more info)

To fix it: 

In Audition, go to Edit > Preferences > Multitrack and change the Default Panning Mode to Left/Right Cut (Logarithmic) and export the audio again from Audition.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jul 11, 2021 Jul 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In short, this is due to the Pan Law. (Google for more info)

To fix it: 

In Audition, go to Edit > Preferences > Multitrack and change the Default Panning Mode to Left/Right Cut (Logarithmic) and export the audio again from Audition.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 12, 2021 Jul 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your help. But, unfortunately, it didn't help. When I import the audio from Adobe Audition (or basically any audio), I end up getting -3db shift automatically.

Could you please tell me how to disable "Pan Law" in Adobe Premiere Pro?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please tell me how to disable "Pan Law" in Adobe Premiere Pro?

By @Anton5C11

It cannot be disabled in Premiere Pro.

It seems that you have many mono tracks that you pan left/right in Premiere Pro, right? If you for example place one stereo clip in a track it play back/exports as is, iow not lower/higher than the original. If you work with several mono tracks and pan them left/right the pan law will kick in.

The only workaround i have heard of is to use the Audio Track Mixer in Premiere Pro and raise each slider to compensate until you get the output levels you need.

Can you post a screen shot of the actual timeline?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are screenshots of my Adobe Premiere Pro's timeline:timeline (1).png

timeline (2).png

I recorded this footage in OBS Studio with two audio tracks (one for my voice, and the other one for my system sounds). Then I imported a track with my voice into Adobe Audition and edited it a little. Having done that, I used this Adobe Audition's audio file in my Premiere Pro's sequence.

I have already increased the level of my voice by +3db in Adobe Premiere Pro, since the audio became quiet after exporting it from Adobe Audition.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am wondering what "Pan Law' is and how it affects my audio's volume when exporting.

I noticed that whenever I export my voice overs from Adobe Audition in mono, I end up getting -3db shift when importing this audio into Adobe Premiere Pro. However, when I export the audio in stereo, the volume doesn't change when using it in Adobe Premiere Pro.

Thank you for your time and help.

Thread merged by mod

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

More here: pan law

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 13, 2021 Jul 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try using a different audio track format in Premiere. Try mono if you have a mono voice track.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 14, 2021 Jul 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, that didn't help either. However, when I tried importing a stereo audio into Premiere Pro's sequence, the levels remained as they should be – I didn't get a 3db shift like with mono.

Could the problem be with mono format?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, I am having the same issue with my audio becoming quieter when I drag in the audio stems delivered to me. I do pan left and right for the multi-channel master, but I can see that the levels are not like the original audio tracks. I believe something must be automating the levels when the file is dragged in, but can't seem to find it. Were you able to resolve the issue? I'm concerned just generally raising the level will possibly still not come out as it should and how the audio editor delivered to me. Any help appreciated. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is due to the Pan Law quoted earlier ... it's about the difference in the way between the stereo and mono track types function.

So please do read that link above!

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines