Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Premiere 2017 Importing Vertical Images Sideways

New Here ,
Nov 16, 2016 Nov 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Guys,

We use Premiere every day on 9 different computers in our office and we are constantly importing both video files and still images. We recently updated 3 of our computers to Premiere 2017 and vertical images will not import vertically anymore; they come in horizontal, even though Windows and every other program recognizes them as a vertical shot. If we rotate the image in Windows, it has no effect when we import the file into Premiere. If we open the jpg in Photoshop and re-save it, Premiere will then import the image correctly but older vertical images on our computers that were shot with different cameras and exported via Lightroom, still will not import correctly until they are re-saved in Photoshop.

I know that I can turn an image in Premiere but this takes time and we fear that if this is a bug that will one day be fixed, vertical images that we "rotate" in Premiere will eventually be sideways in our timeline after an update.

Does anyone know why Premiere has stopped recognizing vertical JPG images?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Nov 17, 2016 Nov 17, 2016

Lee: Post a bug report since this feature is clearly broken and reproducible: Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open the images in Photoshop, then save them and try again in PPro. Just a thought.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I mentioned in my post, opening and saving in Photoshop does fix the issue but this is a huge time suck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My guess is that Premiere Pro is ignoring the orientation stored in the metadata. Possibly a bug, since it sounds like it's something that used to work.

Basically, most vertical photos taken by a camera are actually still stored horizontally, they just have a flag in the metadata called orientation that says which way to rotate them.

You can check out the orientation in the metadata (to see if it truly is being ignored and my theory is correct) by:

• Windows: going into the details view of Windows Explorer, right clicking on any column, choose More..., and check Orientation
  • Adobe Bridge: click in the top right properties icon in the Metadata panel, choose Preferences, then check Orientation (grouped in with Camera Data (Exif))

There's probably a way to do it on a Mac too, outside of Bridge.

The reason saving the image through Photoshop fixes this issue is that the orientation flag actually gets removed and the image is saved truly vertically.

My only workaround suggestion for you right now is to use Photoshop's batching abilities, and possibly even creating a droplet so you can easily batch "rotate" the images so that Premiere will recognize them the way you want it to.

Also, they just released a patch 2017 (11.0.1), so maybe they fixed this, if it was a bug?

Hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is extremely helpful. we have the newest update. maybe we need to wait for the next one to fix this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried updating to 2017 (11.0.1)?

No idea if it will fix, but it could be worth a shot. I actually couldn't find any release notes that went into any specifics of what was fixed in 11.0.1. I really wish the Creative Cloud app linked to release notes…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TeeKayCC: Here's that list of what was fixed in Premiere Pro CC (November 2016 release): Premiere Pro CC and Adobe Media Encoder CC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated. It hasn't helped

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lee: Post a bug report since this feature is clearly broken and reproducible: Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I just did.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 12, 2017 Mar 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you share how to flip an image in Premiere? Even if time consuming, I have the time and am stumped. Very frustrating to be unable to use some clips and images...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 13, 2017 Mar 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sean: By "flip" do you mean rotate by 90 degrees (the context of this thread) or actually flipping, as in 180 degrees or even making a mirror image (as in flipping over)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 18, 2018 Feb 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Lee: Did you ever get the problem solved?  I'm having exact same issue with trying to include vertical photos into my video timeline. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines