• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Premiere keeps freezing up on my gaming computer??

New Here ,
Aug 16, 2022 Aug 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a $3,000 32gb ram new gaming pc and i'm shocked that this program keeps freezing up and says (Not responding) when i'm just trimming a 10 minute video and adding mask paths.  I'm not even running any other programs.  Why is this happening on this high level program?  I'm seeing that its extremely common.  Please advise what to do adobe.   This is not acceptable.          

TOPICS
Crash , Freeze or hang

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Delete the Media Cache and Media Cache files:
https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/faq-how-to-clear-your-media-cache-in-30-seconds-in-premi...

If that doesn't work, try resetting the preferences:
https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/faq-how-to-reset-trash-preferences-in-premiere-pro/td-p/...

If that doesn't work, try resetting the Workspaces:
Reset a workspace
Reset the current workspace to return to its original, saved layout of panels.
1. Do one of the following:
• Click the Workspace menu icon and select Reset to Saved Layout.
• Choose Window > Workspace > Reset to Saved Layout.
from here:
https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/workspaces.html

If that doesn't work, try Preferences > Audio Hardware and set Input to None.

If that doesn’t work, try updating or rolling back your graphics driver directly from the video card manufacturer’s site. If NVIDIA, do a clean installation of the latest Studio Driver (NOT the Game Driver)

If that doesn't work, try creating a new project and import the old one into it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gaming computers aren't put together the same as video post processing computers. So just because it does games well has nothing necessarily with being good for a pro level video editor. My rig was nearly twice that over a year ago, btw.

So give us the full hardware specs ... such as "24 core Ryzen 3960X @3.8hz w 128GB of RAM, 2080Ti GPU w 14GB of vRAM, "C" and a cache drive both internal Nvme SSDs, eight other internal SSD drives".

Media such as "various framesizes from a BMPCC4K mostly in BRAW, some in ProRes422; some All-I mov 1920x1080 from a GH3, and some Mavic drone footage at 120fps".

Then, especially if you include effects you normally use, we can advise how to adjust your workflow or even mod that rig to get better performance.

There are such things as working with the long-GOP H.264/5 file format that can turn a "heavy iron" computer into mush quickly. Especially if you try to use Warp stabilizer on it.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 17, 2022 Aug 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok noted,   what do these specs tell you?

MSI Windows 11

12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-12700H 2.70 GHz

32GB DDR5 4800MHz RAM

64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

1TB NVMe Solid State Drive

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting CPU ... an explanation I've seen is that it has six "serious" working cores, with eight additional "helper" cores with more limited capabilities. So kind of a hybrid thing. Huh.

What's the GPU? And do you have any drives other than that one Nvme?

What's the media you're working with ... format/codec, framesize & rate, created by ... what?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Intel(R) Iris(R) Xe Graphics

Disk Drive Samsung MZVL21 TOHCLR-00BOO

.Mov 200mb file.  Created by Iphone. 

2 minutes 26 seconds long.

Frame wdith 1920, height 1089

frame rate 11241 kbps

frame rate 29.98 frames/second

Should i convert these to another format?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, you don't have a full GPU there, just the gpu on-board chip. That's a bit of a handicap for an NLE like Premiere.

Next ... that iPhone media is probably VFR, variable frame rate. Meaning the number of frames per second of image varies, but the sound is constant. Very hard for an NLE to work with.

So either converting that to CFR in Handbrake or Shutter encoder, or t-coding that to a DNx or ProRes might help.

Neil

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Neil!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What video format are you editing?

Have you tried a format that's good for editing?

How confident are you that the storage media that you're using is fast enough to maintain the sustained data trasnfer rate of your source footage settings and your Sequence settings?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How confident are you that the storage media that you're using is fast enough to maintain the sustained data trasnfer rate of your source footage settings and your Sequence settings?  How do i measure these?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 18, 2022 Aug 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You'd want to run a utility that measures read speeds of your storage media and then compare that to the data tansfer rate of your source footage.

On the low end, 480i60 DV-NTSC requires 3.6MB per second (which most standard drives connected via USB3 can handle) up to uncompresssed 32-bits per channel 4320p24 at 12.2GB pers second (that would lag on most types and configurations of storage media) on the high end.

If you happen to be using ProRes (which I highly recommend), all of the target data rates are listed in Apple's free ProRes White Paper.  1080p24 ProRes comes in at 176MB per second.  That might play fine from a standard drive and should be smooth from SSD and Flash storage.  ProRes also leverages Smart Rendering in Premiere Pro (fewer yellow lines above your footage, better responsiveness, and less rendering)

On the Mac side, there's the free Blackmagic Disk Speed Test.  It makes measuring disk performance for video editing as easy as it gets.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines