• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Premiere Pro 13.1.1 Update - Why?

Enthusiast ,
Apr 18, 2019 Apr 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How is it that such a big release (13.1) had so many issues with so many users?

How exactly does Adobe test their software? And I don't mean that in a condescending or aggressive way. I'm actually genuinely curious how it's all done. Perhaps it's time to open up to more "testers" or a different way of testing because there seems to be a lot of major issues slipping through the cracks and perhaps there's just not enough people testing the software prior to official release.

Ask anyone about Adobe Premiere and they love it...when it works. It's feature rich and always improving...but maybe the same people that test the Boeing 737 MAX 8 shouldn't also test the Premiere software. There's a lot of "yeah, yeah, it's good enough, just release it" going on it seems. I kid of course, but when the general advice from many professionals for Adobe Premiere updates is to "hold off a while until they've squashed the bugs" you know you're in trouble.

I'm certainly glad Adobe released 13.1.1 right away and didn't wait for a "scheduled" update. HUGE kudos to them. But man, one look at the bug fixes in this update and you'd think 13.1 was a crashing mess. That's probably not universal, I know. But still, seems like something needs to change.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 18, 2019 Apr 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

13.1.1 is a bug-fix release, you're right ... for a select group of nasties. That's why it came out as quick, they've been rather open about that. A LOT more than in past years. NAB was last week, and I got to spend some time with some of the engineers both on the floor and elsewhere.

There are a few other bugs that weren't fixed yet, but they had a goodly number of major things that were, Hence it was released. There wasn't any real feature work involved, and in reality about 80% of the bugs were Mac-only ones.

As to 13.1 itself ... it only included a few new things, mostly things that were merely updating or filling out the tool-set for other tools. That's it. Even the vast majority of the work on 13.1 was bug-fixing. They had a huge list of things that were fixed with it ... I don't know how many, but it was pages of scrolling as they showed it to me.

As to what's appearing on this forum ... oh my, go back to the halcyon days of say 2015.0 or 2015.3 ... with releases back then, this forum exploded with new posts, many of them quickly becoming LONG ones, and in general there were complete new pages of posts in an hour or two. This time ... we barely had an uptick in posts. This place is about as quiet as I've seen it in the years I've been around.

Which is not to say there aren't issues. I have several bugs affecting me, though in general I'm still working away. I'd be working happier and faster if they weren't affecting me, and ... I'm happy to remind the engineers constantly about them. They do understand.

There are always discussions about apps in the aisles at NAB ... last year, there were so many discussions about the massive issues with Pr. This year, not nearly as many. Last year, a general item was whether Adobe should give up trying to work with the widest set of codecs/hardware of anyone, and state that "we're building this for this type of hardware and to run best with these formats/codecs; it will be awesome with this, anything else ... your risk".

Basically, with as many formats/codecs that this app works, across as many bits of hardware, it's rather hard to be certain you can test every bloody possibility. I would like it if Adobe corporate upped the budget for the app. It's got a huge user-base, and I think, too small a team for the depth and breadth of the use of the app. I think they just flat out need more bodies.

So ... we need to keep pressure on. Adobe runs by metrics.

This is a user-to-user forum. The bug/features UserVoice forum feeds directly into both the engineer's system and the collated database the upper managers use to determine budgets and engineering time. It changes their best metric to affect budgets.

That's a very good place to post bugs, slow/laggy behavior, nonsensical tools and "commands", anything of irritation. Unfortunately, I don't have the link handy on this laptop or I'd post if for you. It's found of course at the top of the Overview page of this forum, bugs or feature links.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 23, 2019 Apr 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CC automatically updated my Premiere Pro to 13.1.1 yesterday.  I'm sure it was my fault.  I started a new project and everything was running fine.  After the initial stringout the program started lagging, taking forever to render or just not completing a simple render. 

Also i noticed Magic Bullet Looks is no longer available in my effects panel.

I'm trying to download and re-install 13.1.0, and I'm trying some online project file downgrader so I can attempt to use the PR file i created today in 13.1.1. 

What a mess.  I'm in French Polynesia and internet is total crap.  Not sure what to do, or if i'll even be able to download the older version (8% after one hour) and use the PR file i created today in the newest version. 

Any advice?  I will try to clear media cache etc. when I get back to my external hard drive. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 23, 2019 Apr 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I do not agree with having that stupid "update automatically" button there. So ... total sympathies on your situation. You have to go into the Creative Cloud app's Preferences, the little three-dot icon on the upper right next to your user id/avatar ... the Creative Cloud tab ... then at the bottom, see to it that "enable auto update" is un-checked.

But that doesn't help you right now. And ... 13.1.1 is just a bug-fix, should be an improvement for some users over 13.1, and ... shouldn't have anything that makes things worse than 13.1 Weird.

So ... I would suggest the Usual Suspects.

Trash preferences, and manually delete all cache/cache database files. Re-install the Magic Bullet Looks.

And ... hope.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines