• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Any Issues With Mac Big Sur Upgrade?

Engaged ,
Nov 23, 2020 Nov 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wondering if there is any reason to hold off on this upgrade? For any of the Creative Cloud apps? I'm kind of new to Macs

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 24, 2020 Nov 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This made me smile Alex...by being "new to macs", I'm not sure if you use Creative Cloud for a living as many here do. If you “need” to have fully functioning software (in my case, Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, and Premiere Pro), I STRONGLY advise you wait (perhaps 6-months to a year)....until you get the all-clear from above. Typically, there is nothing in the new OS that is worth the hassle of not being able to finish a project. I came here hoping to see great news as on December 2nd, I have a replacement Mac arriving from Apple (Shanghai)....and I am terrified it will have BigSur pre-loaded....making it useless. Hold off brother. Hold off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 25, 2020 Nov 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the tip. Glad I asked

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 06, 2021 Jan 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Regarding being "terrified that it will have Big Sur pre-loaded":

A sales agent for the retailer should be able to confirm which version of macOS is pre-loaded at the time you order it.  If for some reason they cannot, everymac.com is an excellent resource for verifying macOS compatibility.  For example, here's the pre-installed list for all "Tapered Edge" Aluminum iMacs: https://everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/imac-aluminum-tapered-edge-faq/imac-aluminum-tapered-edge-os...

As far as rolling the macOS back - let's say we're wondering if we can roll macOS 10.15 that comes on a 2020 27-inch iMac back to macOS 10.12 for Final Cut classic compatibility, a great resource for this is the OtherWorld Computing Mac OS Compatability Guide (https://eshop.macsales.com/guides/Mac_OS_X_Compatibility).  This guide would let us know that we would need to purchase a 2017 27-inch iMac instead.

As far as actually rolling macOS back, I'd put that at a 3 on a scale of 1 to 10 (1 being easiest and 10 being hardest).  It's probably more of a 1 or 2, but there's knowing how to get the prior macOS installer to show up in the macOS App Store in the 1st place and then the time involved (really fast internet helps a lot).  Let's say your 2020 27-inch iMac shows up with macOS 11 Big Sur after all and you really need macOS Catalina 10.5, go to https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211683.   This page would also work for getting your 2017 27-inch iMac that showed up with macOS 10.14 Mojave back to macOS 10.12 Sierra.

Of course, a new Apple comes with AppleCare and a support agent can talk you through rolling your macOS back.  An easy way to access that is the Apple menu > About This Mac > Support.  Or just call (U.S. technical support: (800) APL–CARE or (800) 275–2273).

It's probably worth mentioning that any new Apple computer with Apple Silicon is macOS Big Sur only.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 24, 2020 Nov 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

but if you have a macpro with multiple drives, you can have multiple boot drives so you can test the waters on big sur without abandoning what's working.  You could even partition your boot drive if it's large enough...  Of course, I'm running high sierra on my macbookpro and have no idea if apple's screwed with this capability in newer machines... wouldn't surprise me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a 2019 Macbook Pro the drive is 2 TB. I hadn't thought about a dual boot option

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that's why I get the big bucks...    The other option is to create a bootable clone of your startup drive before updating to big sur.  That way if things go south, it's not a big deal to restore the previous OS.  I use Carbon Copy Cloner for my clones but don't know if it's compatible with bigsur... 

Alex, are you happy with your macbookpro?  trying to spec out a laptop for some friends...  premiere is working well on it?  any issues?  thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 05, 2021 Jan 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree!! I made the mistake of always updateing software. NOT ANYMORE. I was starting on my big year end projects when Big Sur came out. My work computer is a Mac Pro and even with Adobe's update. Looks like no one could care less about the folks with Zeon Processors. Premire ended up being such a slug I needed to do much of my work on My Decked out MacBook Pro, which I also unfortunately updated, but Premire worked better on that than the Mac Pro. The issue there was that it took over 5 hours to render out a 4 minute video. The newest Premire update fixed most of the issues but not after causing a great deal of lost time and frustration. So now Premire works better with Mac Pro but now Media Encoder crashes quite oftern. Just downloaded an older version of ME. Works better. So bottom line... Yes,  don't update anything. You may even consider getting Final Cut Pro as a backup or replacement editing program. Much cheaper than wasting tons of time (=Money) and fustration and working 20 hour days to make the deadlines. Adobe trully let me down on all accounts over the last few months. Very hard for a person who, as a professional, depends on REAL professional software. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working on both a windows machine and a 2012 macbookpro running
high sierra and I've always found that I need to spend some time
getting things to export smoothly. One thing that can make big
difference on the windows machine is to do a complete restart before
doing the export. Zoom sessions in particular can screw up the system
and cause issues... but generally it can't hurt to do a restart. I
also do smart rendering where I change my preview format to a high
quality format like prores422 (HQ if necessary) and render the entire
timeline and screen the timeline before exporting. this allows me to
make sure there are hopefully no issues that will surprise me after
spending hours doing the export. It almost always seems to save me
time over just exporting without using previews...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>Adobe trully let me down

Why are you blaming Adobe when it is Apple that DID NOT MAINTAIN BACKWARD COMPATIBILITY with existing programs?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The software (including 3rd party effects), OS and drivers all work together.  It's not always easy, but it's up to us to make sure we have versions that work well together.  If we're lucky, we have a really good IT person well versed in the requirements of video post production to do it for us.

Compare notes with others.

If you have a stable system, don't upgrade anything mid-project.

If you're on Mac, take advantage of easily booting from another drive or volume.

For what it's worth, Carbon Copy Cloner is amazing for creating your bootable backup - not to mention backing up project and media files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Warren, while I agree with you in principle about never upgrading in the middle of a project, if I followed that rule religiously, I'd still be working in fincalcut 1 cause I'm always working in multiple projects.  Although premiere does allow you to have multiple versions of premiere on your system,  it can be a royal pain switching between versions so I suggest you exercise some judgement about upgrading.  Never upgrade OS or Premiere when you're under a tight deadline.   Make a bootable backup of  your startup drive before any update so you can quickly restore your system to it's previous working state if necessary.  And when you've done your update, test your system and the project as extensively as possible.  

And there are situations where you'll have NO CHOICE.  On a Mac, if your computer dies and you have to buy a new one, more than likely you'll only be able to run the latest OS so you may not have any choice.   Windows seems a little more forgiving.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Never upgrading before a desdline is a good rule.

So is having more than one workstation, assuming it fits your bidget.

I have clients who are still on CS5.5, CS6, and Final Cut Studio 3 (all documentsries) and keep an older iMac and MacBook Pro running just for them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh Yes!! Apple has a good deal to answer for. More than the mess of Big Sur. I learned my lessons with both of them. For Apple, they will have no purchases from me in 2021 including the big ticket Mac Pro I was looking to replace my old one. I can't trust that they care less about their high end units that have Zeon processors. They are much more interested in pushing and supporting their new M1 processor. I have been loyal to Adobe since the days they released their first Software and hope to stay that way. The last couple of months has been very hard and stressful.  I very much hope everything will be straightened out over time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Apple is migrating everything over to Apple Silicon.  It should mean nothing short of stellar performance.

The Intel based Macs should still be supported for a good five to seven years directly and then after-market after that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 21, 2021 May 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There have been many updates since my rant. Things appear to work better now. Reality also says that as the software evolves your equipment does not. I know that some folks never update anything. One place I know installed a sophisticated Avid system and, from past experiences, decided to never update their software so as to avoid downward degeneration of their hardware capabilities to keep up. They were able to get over 10 years of service out of their system reliably and without issues. Eventually, systems have to be updated, can't get around that. Again, the big lesson is not to update in the middle of a large project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Sep 14, 2021 Sep 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just following up on the previous discussion. Is it now okay to upgrade to Big Sur and still use the Adobe apps? It seems enough time has gone by and any issues should be fixed, right?

I have not hardly touched this Macbook Pro, but I have it out now and the upgrade is staring me in the face. I would only use thhe Video Editing apps. I have no projects I'm in the middle of

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I strongly recommend you create a bootable clone of your startup drive before doing any updates.  This way, you can restore your system to it's previous state if things go south...

this is what I use

https://bombich.com/

You haven't told us the specifics of your macbookpro.  Does it meet the minimum specs for Premiere

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/system-requirements.html

And OS and application updates often make greater demans on your system so although it may be working fine now, it may not work properly after the update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2019 Macbook Pro 2.4 GH 8 core i9

32 GB RAM

AMD Radion Pro 5500M 8 GB

Intel UHD

2 TB hard drive

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's an excellent laptop for all of the Adobe applications. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. But I replaced my Old Mac Pro and waited a bit before I updated to Big Sur with no issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you should be fine as far as I can tell.    many people try and run premiere on a sorely underpowered machine and then wonder why it's not working properly...    but as I said, creating a bootable clone is a great safety net.  Carbon Copy Cloner allows you to do an incremental backup so it will just add new or altered files to your clone.  Can save you a great deal of time.  I try and update my clone on my macbookpro before I do any major updates to OS or apps.  Since I'm the only one using it, I don't worry too much about how recently I've updated the clone.  At the studio that I provide support for, I update the clones of the 3 macs at the beginning of each month...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere Pro, After Effects, Media Encoder, Audition, Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign run fine under Big Sur.  Be sure to update to the latest version to have the patch that addresses the Pegasus vulnerability.

That said, it never hurts to make a bootable backup prior to updating if you don't maintain one already. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines