• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Artifacts in Export using Premiere Pro and Media Encoder 2022

Community Beginner ,
May 30, 2022 May 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am editing a documentary that uses different types of footage. The main footage is 4096 × 2160, 29.97 filmed with Canon C300 but the archive footage is lo-res mostly in H264, photographs JPEG on a 2022 Mac.  This version of Adobe will not export the quality I see on the timeline. The lo-res footage and photos have artifacts which is frustrating.  Past versions accepted all types of footage which makes sense for a documentary film.  How do i fix this problem? I've erased my cache.  Set my preferences to software only. used Encoder and have exported directly from Premiere.  Any help would be appreciated.  

TOPICS
Editing , Export , Formats , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , May 30, 2022 May 30, 2022

If the image of the guy in the colorful shirt is a 4K image from the C300, then what it looks like to me is that you have intentionally or unintentionally tried to downscale that image at some point in the edit. If you chose "scale to frame size" instead of "set to frame size" before adding that image back into your 4K sequence, then you'd get the result you've shown us. Scale to frame size rasterizes the image to the new resolution while Set to frame size shrinks the image but keeps the origina

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Sonya246224117cl7,

My apologies for the poor experience. Are you referring to the current version of Premiere Pro (22.4)? Would you be able to share screenshots of the artifacts as well as your export settings? Is it a specific codec that produces the artifacts or is the problem present in all codecs? Please share your system specifications too (OS, CPU, GPU, RAM).

Regards,

Ishan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, at what resolution will you deliver the finished video, please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I am working on the project, we will upload to Vimeo to basic H264 during the process as filming and gathering is ongoing.  Once the project is completed it will be exported for film festivals. I usually use ProRes4444 or ProRes 422 HQ depending if the film does well and I make a DCP. My sequence setting is this below. Most of the current footage is this.  The archival footage is lo-res - coming from the 80's and 90's. As you see below, it is 244x140.  Right now, I am exporting to Vimeo, choosing the H264 preset for Vimeo in Media Encoder. The image uploaded is from the Canon C300. It comes out with weird boxes and fuzzy.  

Screen Shot 2022-05-30 at 5.58.20 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-05-30 at 5.59.06 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-05-30 at 5.56.36 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2022-05-30 at 6.05.13 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have M1 Max. (let's just talk about the H264 since we are just in process) For export settings, I've done both the Vimeo H264 preset and the HD H264.  I just restarted a new sequence.  I dropped in my 4096 x 2160 first to set up the sequence.  Anything else that is not that, I re-frame the video.  It seems if i pick "Match Sequence Preview Settings" it does better.   If I import video via media browser that is lo-res, I have to create a new sequence drop all my lo-fi footage there and then I am able to drop it in my real sequence.  It seems like a lot of extra steps just to get the lofi footage on there.  In previous versions of Premiere Pro, I could drop anything in and it would accept it.  Why is this happening?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the image of the guy in the colorful shirt is a 4K image from the C300, then what it looks like to me is that you have intentionally or unintentionally tried to downscale that image at some point in the edit. If you chose "scale to frame size" instead of "set to frame size" before adding that image back into your 4K sequence, then you'd get the result you've shown us. Scale to frame size rasterizes the image to the new resolution while Set to frame size shrinks the image but keeps the original pixels available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That worked like magic. You fixed my problem. It is a scaling situation. Thank you so much for taking the time to help me!  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 31, 2022 May 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're welcome! 😄

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines