Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Audio out of sync AFTER importing

New Here ,
Oct 18, 2012 Oct 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, how are you?

I've been searching for a solution for a while, but I can't seen to find any.

The thing is... I've been capturing some gameplay footage, with files that last an hour or even more.

When I watch the files in any player (Windows Media Player, VLC, Media Player Classic) they play fine, the audio and the video seems to be on sync and OK.

But after I import to Adobe Premiere, it just gets out of sync. Even when I watch in the Source Monitor, before dragging to the timeline.

It looks like there is a problem when conforming the audio.

But even the time duration is different from the original, there is some frames or even seconds of difference inside Premiere.

And this happens with different codecs, AVI (from FRAPS), H.264 (with AAC audio and MP3)...

I've tried cleaning the cache, deleting the software and reinstalling again, converting - everything.

Some are saying this is a recurrent bug on Adobe Premiere. Isn't there any fix or something that I could do?

It's really strange that the problems only occur AFTER importing. Outside of Premiere is fine, so there is no problem with the capture, right?

I would really appreciate if someone helps me. Thanks a lot!

PS: I have Adobe Premiere Pro CS6.

Intel Core i7

12 GB RAM

GeForce GTX 580

HD 2 TB 7200RPM

TOPICS
Audio

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

New Here , Sep 22, 2013 Sep 22, 2013

Hey I don't know if you've found an answer to your problem from someone else yet, but I have had the same problem before, and I've finally found a fix that I'd like to share. I downloaded a video converter called Handbrake. (Mod 2021 update note: You can also use Shutter Encoder, which has more features and codecs than Handbrake).

In Handbrake I imported the video I wanted converted and changed an option from "variable framerate" to "constant framerate". After my webcam footage was converted i

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Sep 08, 2021 Sep 08, 2021

We've got a tutorial here on how to fix it when working with screen recorded footage! This helps with other non-camera formats too like Zoom recordings or gameplay footage. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 179 Replies 179
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

H.264 will NOT work inside an AVI wrapper http://forums.adobe.com/thread/854115

And, some notes on Fraps http://forums.adobe.com/thread/871095

-and http://forums.adobe.com/thread/943772

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, thanks for you answer.

Actually, importing is not really the problem. I use the MP4 files more often that the FRAPS' AVI files - even so, I don't have problems with those AVI too, as long as I have FRAPS installed.

I'm having problems independent of the format.

The problem is inside Premiere, after importing. =/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2012 Oct 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the exact same problem. I have some .mp4 files I recorded on my phone. Works fine everywhere, as soon as I import it into PP, the audio is out of sync. I believe it is due to the fact that the video has a variable number of frames per second. I don't really know how to fix it so any help is greatly appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 04, 2012 Nov 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This thread does not cover the basic aspect that the by PP5.5 captured DV-tape is IN-Sync at the beginning of the timeline but OUT-Sync at the end of the timeline.

Complete rendering (changing red bar -below timeline time code marking- into green) does not have any effect.

So- because I need to finish the project, I unlinked Video/Audio, changed the audio speed from 100% into 99,98% to get both perfect in Sync (at another sequence I needed to change to 99,99%).

After that I could get the video's in sync on DVD (dynamic link-Encore)

Anyway, this is really bad!

A simpel footage (25 frames footage and sequence settings) imported bu PP5.5 from DV-tape  may never be out of sync and in all the years I work with Premiere I did not notice this effect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please go back and re-read the header in my message #6

My reply was to the person in message #3, concerning video from a cell phone

For that person, the link I posted DOES cover the problem of cell phone variable frame rate video

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 23, 2016 Aug 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try changing the file types from mp4 to mov. It worked for me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 27, 2016 Aug 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would you like to know why?

MOV processes missing frames automatically when in h.264 mode.  I've seen this happening with MP4's from iPhones.  WHen I run them through QT, they play fine, then I can transcode them almost instantly because they're already in that format, just wrapped in the MP4 extension.

For your camera, Perhaps the MP4 file metadata places the reframe marks in the correct spot for MOV, but not for crossplatform MP4.  Both are apple-originated formats, but MOV is a QT proprietary, and some cameras confuse the metadata order when writing the file headers.  If they are out of order, or the values are written in a different number format, you will get problems with the file when sequencing it.  Be careful with this advice you gave.  It worked for you because the format was written as an MOV variant, but wrapped in an MP4 extension.  It won't work every time, for every instance of this issue with different cameras.

The BEST advice is to process in the manner in which YOUR SOFTWARE SUITE EXPECTS.  Premiere expects video without data issues, whether elements or PRO.  Start with a TRANSCODE.  If you want to keep the same format, go ahead.  IT should be extremely fast if there are no issues.  In some cases, some motion is actually processed better do to a recode from the I and B frames that are used to calculate what to drop from the compression.  Set Frame Blending to on, to reframe where necessary.  You should also set the data rate higher than the original by at least 0.2mbps so it will apply the quality adjustment necessary to calculate missing frames and proper blends.

Apple Compressor uses motion adaptation for this and they've kept it proprietary.  It often does a cleaner job, but takes longer.  I only use it for deinterlacing and blowups I don't want to do in photoshop.  If you're shooting SPORTS or HIGH MOTION, go with compressor for clarity.  Everything else looks pretty damned good with PRELUDE and ADOBE MEDIA ENCODER.  Short clips or SD's I want in HD, I usually use PHOTOSHOP for because I can use plugins that retain detail using VECTOR MAPS (My whole lab's still CS6).  Using vectorized mapping of detail, you can blow something up to 300% without a great drop.  However, going from SD wide to HD is just 167%.  Some plugs are even action scriptable, so you can apply the same settings to every photo of a folder.  In After Effects CC, the Detail retaining upscale actually does something very similar, applying some unsharp masking, and microcontrast adjusts to make the whole process more natural looking at the end.  It's pretty good for a one step uprez at 133% (Or 1080 to 4k, 720 to 1080).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 27, 2021 Apr 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HarleyTDavis,

I know it has been quite a while since you posted this but I feel compelled to tell you that this was the most helpful, comprehensive,  and efficiently-structured post I have ever seen.  Frankly, one might even describe your contribution to this thread as elegant.  I only had to make a couple of minor changes to my settings (a data rate that is 0.4mbps higher than the original for example) and these small adjustments made my end product significantly better, even though I really do not notice a significant increase in processing time or overall CPU/GPU strain.  The reason I am writing this is not because you motivated me to make little tweaks to settings, it is because your explanation actually triggered a deeper insight that has helped me to view the whole process and structure of the technology with a stronger understanding of WHY you are giving the advice you are giving instead of just following this or that suggestion blindly while crossing my fingers in the hope that I am not wasting yet another hour on what I thought was a promising solution  - only to find that it was a solution to a problem that I did not have.

So thanks.  I am still quite the amateur in this field though,  even though I have substantial experience in the production and design of content for live visual and performing arts.  You just set me on a path towards deeper understanding that I am now much more prepared to travel.  Thank you for sharing your insight and doing so without ego, attitude, or any sense of trying to belittle anyone whose ideas you may not have totally agreed with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2012 Oct 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the exact same problem in CS5.5, and from my searching it is a fairly common problem with no solution.

However it is hit and miss. The H.264 MP4 files generated from our Tricaster 855 will sometimes playback in Premiere with no problems. But occassionally one file will have this sync issue, with audio about 8 frames ahead of video.  The file will, however, playback just fine in Quicktime, Windows Media Player, VLC, etc.  It's only when the file is imported to Premiere that it plays back out of sync.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here in Holland..

Capturing DV-footage from PanasonicNV-GS400 always without any problems but....

Same .avi files which were perfect in sync (old backups) are now out of sync after import in Premiere Pro5.5 on the time line.

Starting IN-sync, it gets worse and worse and after 30 minutes of footage, the audio is one second 'too soon'..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 25, 2020 Feb 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, same exact problem here. Such a pain!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2012 Nov 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having this same issue, I too was trying to edit together footage that I've recorded from games last night when I ran into this issue.

I did some searching this morning and came accross this: http://blog.flickharrison.com/2012/04/problem-solving-in-adobe-premiere-audio-glitches-and-sync

Not sure if you've looked at that already.

I'm at work at the moment so can't test it out, I'll be having a go this evening when I get home. Until then though - has anyone tried this and does it work?

Cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 05, 2012 Nov 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

XMP files you get after converting to i.e. M2V format (mpg) by Premiere pro (media encoder)

I have the sync problem BEFORE that, in the basic .AVI file (DV-format video and audio directly captured from DV-tape!!!!).

The file is is not compressed, None HD (standard wide screen) 45 minutes appr. 13 GB.

This file is in sync in ANY player (from media player till VLC media player).

So the file is in sync anywhere but in Premiere Pro 5.5 timeline (being captured by premiere for crying out loud!) so will remain out of sync when exporting to other formats.

As mentioned before I did a workaround by reducing the audiospeed to 99,98% but that cannot be a 'permanent' solution..

Anybody found the real cause of out of sync?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 21, 2013 Jul 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The audio/video sync problem seems quit widespread and on different versions of Premier Pro. I still can't find a solution. Post 6 and 9 didn't work for me.

The audio/video are in sync on VLC, Media Player etc -- the problem only exists when importing into Premier Pro CS6. It is taking ages to re-align the video/audio in PPro which is not a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 19, 2013 Aug 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this EXACT same issue.

I have some video that I recorded, and in every other program besides Premiere Pro (I've tried both CS 5.5 and CS 6) it plays with the audio and video in sync. It isn't as simple as Unlinking the audio and dragging it to match it up, no, it's as if the audio slows down over the progression of the video. So even if I were to drag the audio and sync it up to someone talking (which is such a pain...) immediately afterwards, the audio will gradually become out of sync again. And if you try to line it up again, then the whole project gets screwed up. Extremely agitating. I've attempted to slow the audio duration down as others have posted before, but that doesn't work right. I had to slow it down to (98.5% before SOME of it was synced and it had incorrect pitch) Just awful. I have over 120 videos that need editing and I'm not going to be using Premiere Pro with this horrible audio sync.

And again, in other programs like VLC, QuickTime, Windows Media Player... the video and audio are synced up PERFECTLY. Once it's imported into Premiere Pro, something strange happens to it and makes it impossible to edit comfortably.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 19, 2013 Aug 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this camera generated media using a format that PP supports?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 23, 2013 Aug 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

EDIT: I tried Premiere Pro CC and I'm getting the same issue still. I also discovered something rather peculiar, I exported the audio only from the imported video, then I deleted the original audio, when I reimported the audio, it was almost 25% longer than the video! I also checked the original footage and it has a frame rate of 28.38 (some of the other footage has other weird frame rates) could this have anything to do with it?

I am using an analog to digital video recorder. I am converting old VHS tapes into a digital format, they are encoded as .mp4. Premiere Pro will open the files and have the audio as well, but they are not synced, and no matter how many times I try to sync the audio to the video, it still becomes out of sync. Every other program besides Premiere Pro has the audio and video in perfect sync.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 26, 2013 Aug 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everybody, I found a workaround for this bug!

You have to use another editing software such as the free windows live movie maker in order to cut any footage that is longer than about 5 minutes into smaller chunks (no more than 5 minutes long). Have each chunk saved as a separate video and then import them into premier pro separately. That way premier pro does not have enough time to de-synch the audio for each chunk.

It' sucks that you have to do this extra step but at least you can get on with editing using this software again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 26, 2013 Aug 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am converting old VHS tapes into a digital format, they are encoded as .mp4.

That is most likely your problem.  Use a hardware/software combination that will record your tapes to DV format.  Something like the ADVC110 from Grass Valley.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 22, 2013 Sep 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey I don't know if you've found an answer to your problem from someone else yet, but I have had the same problem before, and I've finally found a fix that I'd like to share. I downloaded a video converter called Handbrake. (Mod 2021 update note: You can also use Shutter Encoder, which has more features and codecs than Handbrake).

In Handbrake I imported the video I wanted converted and changed an option from "variable framerate" to "constant framerate". After my webcam footage was converted into "constant framerate", I imported the new webcam footage into Adobe Premiere and everything was in sync at last!

I hope this helps anyone who has had the same problem.

For my problem, it was my webcam's visual that was getting out of sync of my webcam's audio on top of my gameplay footage. I found out that recording devices can record in "variable framerate" or "constant framerate".

If a vid is getting out of sync with itself while in Adobe Premiere but not out of sync when you watch it outside of Adobe Premiere, it is because it was recorded in "variable framerate". What variable framerate means is that it cycles/changes the frames at different frame speeds throughout the video, making the video a different length while in Adobe Premiere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 23, 2013 Nov 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My solution that worked was to, on my iphone 4s, import the footage into imovie then export it to back onto the phone photo library. Then I plugged the phone into my PC and imported it into Premiere and it worked! The frame rate was constant, the audio was in synch. The quicktime solution above doesn't work for me as you new to pay for a fancy version of quicktime on the pc to do that. I have a MacBook with the latest operating system but i want to keep that for music production in logic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 03, 2017 Oct 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me! (October 2017) Tried some of the other suggestions, didn't work. iMovie was the magic bullet. I shot my video on iPhone 6sPlus - 10.3 OS. After importing into Premiere Pro, the first 5 minutes were okay, but then audio syncing started slipping at a gradual rapid pace. My total video length was 14 minutes, and it got very bad towards the end.

Importing, then exporting from iMovie worked for my project. Must be that constant frame rate thing. Thank you so much! Hope it helps others.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 18, 2014 Mar 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks bailzmc1 - that fixed it for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines