• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

AVCHD Files Imported with Windows Importer

Community Beginner ,
May 11, 2017 May 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, i been having this doubt.  I know that the Correct way to edit with AVCHD, is to copy the ENTIRE SD, and then let PP through MEDIA BROWSER to read the whole thing as PP knows how to work with AVCHD and read through the many different folders and Files.

But what happens when you import your SD, through WIndows Importer ?

i Did it and the files do have audio when read through WIndows Media, VLC Media, Etc. But when i try to read (edit them) in PP i get the no audio problem.
this is old footage, so i have no way to fix this, becasue obviously i dont have the original SD and the files.

i import with widows importer as i can rename the files and organize with date and name.
but if there is no way around this other than the "correct way", this means i HAVE to COPY every Day  the entire SD, to my HDD, so i can have the files from that day in one place.
Meaning: if you shoot for example a week trip. and you want to organize day by day, you are screwed. you have to copy day by day.

is XAVC (the new 4k format )  the same as AVCHD ?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Importing via the Media browser in PrPro gets the best metadata from the files into PrPro's database. Period. And the AVCHD format needs all the metadata involved to get the right audio linkups.

The way around is to perhaps transcode outside of PrPro.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 12, 2017 May 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Importing with PP ?
ive heard many many times, that the correct way to work with this files and file structure, is to leave everything like it is, and copy all the folders from the SD. and reading them through Media Browser via PP, is THE WAY to read them in a correct manner.

Ive heard that importing with pp, will get you no audio in video files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Importing ​into​ PrPro is what I was referring to. I'm assuming one copies the entire folder structure of AVCHD files to the computer first ... that's ​not​ an NLE job.

I've worked some with AVCHD files of my own. It's a pain of a format to work with compared to the mp4's, mov's, DNxHD/R and Cineform media I also work with. Some of the projects, that used just a small amount of AVCHD, I transcoded into Cineform or DNxHD and just dumped the AVCHD files.

And to properly get files into PrPro, of course one uses the Media Browser. That's the only part of PrPro that goes to media on disc and ​imports​ it into the project.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this means i HAVE to COPY every Day  the entire SD, to my HDD, so i can have the files from that day in one place.

Meaning: if you shoot for example a week trip. and you want to organize day by day, you are screwed. you have to copy day by day.

Having more than one card is desirable and good practice for many reasons.  SD Cards are cheap

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is not the number of SDs.i do haver several.

I mean if i go in a 3 week trip, without acces to my computer. all that footage, will be in no way organized, and will be all on the same folder / folders that have to be copied from the SD: (meaning a complete mess)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your camera is a Canon, the supplied Pixela software can be set to automatically upload only the new files and it puts them in separate folders for each day.

The latest version also permits a degree of logical naming.

I have never encountered any problem with metadata using this software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what happens when you import your SD, through WIndows Importer ?

Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling!  Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes.  The dead rising from the grave!  Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

For the love of God, just don't do it man!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this means i HAVE to COPY every Day  the entire SD, to my HDD, so i can have the files from that day in one place.

Yup.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines