• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

best screen and web recording app compatible with premiere pro?

New Here ,
Mar 06, 2022 Mar 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

best screen and web recording app compatible with premiere pro?

Hi Guys,

I am trying to record my screen and my web for tutorial purposes using Camtasia and edit it in premiere pro. I have three separate recordings (sound, web, and screen) in Camtasia. However, when I try to export it in AVI format and transfer it to the premiere pro, I can see only two recording streams (sound and combination of screen and web). In other words, the web is not separate to play with. I wonder if you have any recommendation for using other types of software that is more compatible with premiere pro. Your help is appreciated.   

TOPICS
Editing , Formats

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You recorded the web stream and the screen separately? Are the 2 on separate tracks in Camtasia?

Even if you could get the multiple streams in an AVI, would PR read them?

Why not just export the streams separately?

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stan,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I can record three separate streams of sound, screen, and web through Camptacia. It used to have the option to change the recording format to AVI, and now it does not exist. I really hope that I can find a way to transfer my files to premiere pro for editing as Premiere Pro is a king for editing. I wish Premiere pro had screen recording capability as well. 

Sure, I think this is a great idea! I will try it.

Amir.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 07, 2022 Mar 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sara,

Played with this a bit more.

When capturing screen, web cam, microphone, and system audio, Camtasia is recording a .tsec file with a screen recording in tsc2, a web cam stream in H.264, and system audio and microphone audio streams as AAC LC. On the timeline, it puts these on two tracks: Track 1, screen with system audio and Track 2, web cam with microphone.

Exporting each track separately to avi (with the tsc2 codec) gives 2 files, each with the tsc2 video and pcm audio. These imported with no issues to PR 2022. The default display of the camera in Camtasia is small, bottom right. And it will export like that. I would maximize the camera frame before exporting. It gives you more options in PR.

You can also "extract" the 4 stream file, which gives 2 files that are more what is recorded. The webcam video and microphone audio are recorded to a variable frame rate .mp4 with AVC video and AAC LC audio. The camera image is full frame (1920x1080, which may have to do with my webcam). The screen video and system audio are recorded to an .avi with tsc2 video and pcm audio.

These also imported without problem to PR 2022, but I avoid VFR when I can. The export to avi is making this constant frame rate. When the extracted files are placed on a timeline, the camera clip is slightly shorter.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2022 Mar 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot, Stan for your comprehensive answer. Just I wanted to share with you this link to make sure that I could explain my problem. https://www.screencast.com/t/XYB7ObZMKv

I will try your solution.

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 12, 2022 Mar 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To avoid the VFR, I would use the first method I described.

"Exporting each track separately to avi (with the tsc2 codec) gives 2 files, each with the tsc2 video and pcm audio. These imported with no issues to PR 2022. The default display of the camera in Camtasia is small, bottom right. And it will export like that. I would maximize the camera frame before exporting. It gives you more options in PR."

To export the webcam view full size, maximize it in Camtasia before you export it.

To export one track at a time, disable one of the tracks by clicking the "eye" symbol in the track header. Then export as AVI.

Let us know how it goes.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 12, 2022 Mar 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Stan,

Appreciate it a lot!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've used Snagit for years. It's made by Techsmith also, that's their main screen capture utility. I don't bother with Camtasia ever. I didn't know it recorded, but your description doesn't sound right? Anyway, try that, you should be familiar with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MyerPj,

I have only played with snagit. Does it record video in anything other than H.264? I don't see the option.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2022 Mar 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again,

Just I shared with you my problem through this link to make sure that I could explain it better. Please let me know if you have any comments! https://www.screencast.com/t/XYB7ObZMKv

APpreciate it again!

Free online storage and sharing with Screencast.com. 2 GB of storage and 2 GB of bandwidth per month for free. We won't compress, alter or take ownership of your content.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have an Nvidia graphics card you can use Shadowplay. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Andy,

Thanks a lot! I will check it out.

Regards,

Amir.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines