• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Black flash during transition

Community Beginner ,
May 14, 2020 May 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I am have been having a problem with all the fading transitions in Premiere Pro CC 2020. For whatever reason when I fade media in it first flashes black. I am not sure why this is happening and it appears in the final reader as well. If someone could help me figure this out that would be fantastic. I have attached to this post an extreme example of this happening from one of my scenes however it happens in almost all of them only to a lesser extent. 

Thanks for the help,

Ethan

TOPICS
Error or problem , Export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advisor , May 15, 2020 May 15, 2020

It looks like you have a mask applied to your 2nd clip (the flag) and have a transition/dissolve applied to that layer.

Delete the dissolve transition and instead set opacity keyframes (on the flag layer) from 0-100% in the effects panel for the transition duration you want on that layer. A pain but it will solve the issue.

I've not tried this but you could also delete the transitions, then nest the flag layer and then re-apply the transition to the nested layer in your main sequence.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
May 15, 2020 May 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ethan,

We're sorry to hear about this. Is this happening with any specific transition or with all of them and are there any other effects applied to these clips which have the transitions? Also, have you tried switching the Renderer to Mercury Playback Engine Software Only and checked if it's working properly?

Thanks.

Sumeet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 16, 2022 Feb 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is happening to other transitions too. I was using the Slide transition in my case. Switching the renderer does solve the issue but another transition in my sequence which requires GPU acceleration would not work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Feb 19, 2022 Feb 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another workaround 😞

For slide transistions (specifically) - you can create these manually yourself with keyframes using the motion properties in the 'Effects Controls' for the layer you want to slide.

Annoying that you have to do this - but might get you out of your current situation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
May 15, 2020 May 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like you have a mask applied to your 2nd clip (the flag) and have a transition/dissolve applied to that layer.

Delete the dissolve transition and instead set opacity keyframes (on the flag layer) from 0-100% in the effects panel for the transition duration you want on that layer. A pain but it will solve the issue.

I've not tried this but you could also delete the transitions, then nest the flag layer and then re-apply the transition to the nested layer in your main sequence.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 12, 2023 Apr 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aloha, I have been having the same identical issue for years. Anytime I want to film dissolve in a gradiently masked solid color ( as back drop for a title ) I get the black flash at the start of the clip. Changing key frames from 0% to 100% opacity often times fixes it, but not always. Can adobe mabey just fix this? Instead of making us do keyfranes, etc. if we drag a film dissolve on a clip that is masked, can it just film dissolve in without a black flash please? I've wasted hours trying to fix this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is what the beautiful black flash looks like, the sad part is this has been an adobe glitch for a long time. Not just recently. Please fix. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Salty Trades,

Sorry about the issue. These kinds of anomalies do happen from time to time when you've got transitions working with other graphics containing an alpha channel or some other effect that will take precedence (in the render order). I usually let nesting help me fix any issues like this, as Steve mentioned above. Feel free to file a bug here, if you like, but changing your workflow slightly (related to transitions vs. other effects or graphic types) should help you throughout your career, no matter the editing system you are working with. Hope that answer doesn't seem to sassy, but it's helped me over the years with at least a few different NLE systems. Hope that helps.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried the nesting, It still flashes Black. I tried the zero opacity to
100% key frame, still flashes black. I want a simple black and white title.
So I create a white solid, than I create a octagonal mask with a feather. I
simply want it to fade in. But this is too much for adobe premiere pro and
has been for years. Sad day.

--
Mahalo,

Andrew Barrera

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 01, 2024 Apr 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am also experiencing this problem today on my M1 macbook pro. No alpha channels or effects other than lumetri on my clip. At the end of the the last clip in the timeline, with or without a transition like dip to black, half of the screen will go black for an isntant. This appears in the exported file as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines