• EspaƱol
      • FranƧais
      • PortuguĆŖs
  • ę—„ęœ¬čŖžć‚³ćƒŸćƒ„ćƒ‹ćƒ†ć‚£
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I use a gradient overlay in Premiere Pro?

Community Beginner ,
Mar 05, 2018 Mar 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been searching for an answer to the question of whether I can use a gradient overlay to darken the sky in Premiere Pro.  I know this program about 1/50th as well as Photoshop, but one helpful person in the forum told me about masking and changing the color of the sky. That helped, but I still can't find if I can use an actual gradient.  Someone else suggested in another post to use the titler, but I can't figure out how to do that, nor can i find a tutorial for it.  Still another poster said that the Premiere Pro developers are intending to add this feature soon.

Here is what I would like to do:

Pelican 1.jpg

Screen shot from my DJI phantom 4 taken at the Salton Sea in southern California.  The drone remains stationary for 30 seconds during this clip and the pelicans move around, so I could do things to this if I knew how.

In Photoshop, I would select and copy everything above the horizon to a new layer and use the multiply blend mode:

Pelican 2.jpg

This is way too harsh of an effect, so I can apply a gradient mask to the upper layer to make the transition smoother:

Pelican 3.jpg

Just for the heck of it, I selected the darkened mountains in the third photo, copied them to yet another layer, flipped that layer vertically, moved the inverted mountains down over the water, set the blend mode to multiply again, turned the opacity down to 30%, put some horizontal motion blur on the layer, and put another gradient mask on the layer:

Pelican 4.jpg

Now I realize that the last step might be asking too much from Premiere Pro, but should I not be able to at least add a dark gradient mask to the top of this clip?  Someone please help me out here!

Thanks

David

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whew.. that's a good chunk of work. You likely would do better in After Effects but I'm sure you've heard that already. You could probably get this done with the 4 color gradient effect and a mask with a large feather, blending works too. For your upside down mountains, just duplicate the footage, mask out the stuff you don't need and blur it, reduce opacity. Should work I think.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All of what you've done in Photoshop is possible in PrPro. Using additional layers of the clip on tracks above, doing masking/opacity/blending-modes work. Jarle Leirpoll has a book on  "The Cool Stuff in Premiere Pro" that's an ebook ... and covers the tools and steps needed to do this spread out among SO many other things.

His site and book are here ...

https://premierepro.net/

It's not for beginners, but ... is great for anyone wanting to get better and that right fast, and willing to think about what they're doing. So a sharp & patient & dedicated beginner will learn a ton of righteous workflow stuff off the bat.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 06, 2018 Mar 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've ordered the book- thanks!  There's always something else to learn, isn't there?

DRF

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh my ... there's always a lot more to learn. While a few people think I know a lot, realistically ... I'm better at trouble-shooting than editing to my view of myself. There's so flipping much to this app, AfterEffects, and Audition ... sheesh!

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you have a gradient PNG with alpha, that should work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines