• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can Premiere Pro CS6 do a screen capture?

New Here ,
Feb 18, 2014 Feb 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone know if Premiere CS6 have the ability to screen capture within it's features? Is there a plugin?

Message was edited by: Kevin Monahan Reason: More searchable title

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. But if you screen cap with other software such as Camtasia or one of the free offerings, you can edit the footage in Premiere.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera

Safe Harbor Computers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, thank you. That's what I was using Camtasia trial version. Just to be clear. So even though i haven't completed some footage using camtasia, the raw files can be edited in Premiere?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cool and thanks, I had to be sure... This goes up higher than me, so I needed to be absolutely clear on this. Also thanks for the other links.

Good day!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 12, 2015 Mar 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Do not use camstudio.org.  Full of adware/malware!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tim,

One other thing. Try to do your screen capture with a standard frame rate, not a variable frame rate.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Kevin!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin,

Actually I do have another question. Best suggestions on Premiere and AE training? Or Adobe certified training programs and cost? I assume they are all online?

Thanks

Tim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tim,

We have a fantastic new learning page for Creative Cloud now. Before you spend a dime, check out the tutorials here: https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/learn/tutorials/premiere.html

After you go through those, I can make additional suggestions.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin,

very cool and will do.

I'm sure i'll be in touch.

Thanks

Tim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Kevin mentioned, don't use a variable frame rate, Premiere doesn't like that. Regarding capture resolutions and such, how do you intend to deliver the finished video? If in a "video" format such as DVD, you have to take that into consideration and use an appropriate frame size and frame rate when capturing and editing. If you're going to deliver online/computer use only, then you do not need to stick to "video specific" parameters like 720p for example.

Been a couple of years since I did a tutorial with Camtasia, but I was capturing, editing and delivering as 1024x768, 15 fps (these were Premiere tutorials in fact). If I'd intended to make a DVD, I would not use that format, but it was perfect for electronic delivery (Download or CD). Used the Camtasia software that creates its own menu/playback interface system for PC viewing. If recording for computer viewing, try to use a frame size that is "standard" for computer screens, in other words one of the options your display card provides. I've seen folks use Camtasia and just record a region of some totally random size that is very odd for delivery. Many codecs like numbers divisible by 8, and may not even allow you to export to an odd-number frame size.

As many people now use full HD computer screens, if you intend to capture a smaller size region of the screen, it can be helpful to simply set your display resolution to what you want to capture, rather than capturing a smaller part of the 1920x1080 screen. If you want to capture 1280x720, then set your screen to that resolution. Might result in larger font sizes and such that make the recording more legible.

Also, I don't remember the specifics, but Camtasia used to offer TWO different capture codecs. One was an .avi format that works in Premiere, the other was something more proprietary for use in their own editing app. My best advice is before starting the actual project, run through the ENTIRE workflow to make sure it is going to provide the desired results, before capturing hours of footage only to find at some later stage that some setting should've been different in the beginning. So capture some sample footage, get it into Premiere, then export to desired delivery format. Does it look good? File size ok? Figure all of that out before getting too deep into the actual job. I learned a lot of this the hard way myself, and you don't want to have to start over half way through the job, whatever it may be.

Regards,

Jeff Pulera

Safe Harbor Computers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Jeff!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines