• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't create a new project

Explorer ,
May 25, 2022 May 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whatever Adobe did in the latest update, it seems impossible to simply create a blank new project. I don't understand why it forces the user to "SELECT MEDIA TO CREATE NEW PROJECT". It could be a helpful feature for novice users but I'm trying create a project so I can simply copy a sequence over so I can try to media manage - because Premiere Pro PROJECT MANAGEMENT feature is a perenial fallace - and I'm simply unable to do it.

Why, Adobe? Why???

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 25, 2022 May 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do exactly what you did with the previous 'new project' dialog.

Type a "name" in the name field. Set a location for the project file in the drop-down for Location.

Click "create" ... that's it. Period.

Exactly what you've always done.

Just make sure nothing is starred/selected in that middle panel or blue/selected in the right panel.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 27, 2022 May 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your response but that doesn't work. I followed those steps, just as I had done in the past. When I go to FILE > NEW PROJECT, it takes me to a new tab (improperly) named IMPORT. There, I type the project name I want to create, find the folder where I want to save, but the CREATE button, on the bottom of the page is greyed out.

Marcos H.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure nothing is 'starred' (selected) in the middle section of file locations, nor blue (selected) in the options of the right side panel.

Those are sticky, so once you've deselected anything they set as selected on installation, you never have to deal with it again.

And then typing a name, setting a location activates the blue Create button.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did that. There's nothing starred / checked / selected. I had to restart Premiere for the "CREATE" button to be enabled/ blue.  Now I'm able to "create" a new project, name it and select the location where I want it to be saved.

But once I do all of this and hit "CREATE", Premiere takes me back to the EDIT interface. Now I see 2 projects opened: the one I was originally working on and a CLONE / copy,  with the same bins, sequence etc. It just makes no sense...

I go to the finder and I can see the new and correctly named project there. Again, in order for me to be able to open it, I have to quit Premiere and restart it.

Really frustrating. 

Marcos H.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should have the normal processes for closing a project file, opening a recent, that sort of thing from the File/Premiere menu as always ... that hasn't changed.

The "edit" page is simply the old regular working area of Premiere, where you use the workspaces and such. It isn't anything "new" other than the workspaces are hid inside the "screen" icon in the upper right of the main Premiere window.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 18, 2022 Jul 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to quit and restart Premiere a few times before it will work, it's the MOST ANNOYING new feature I have ever seen. Just open up a blank project, thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 18, 2022 Jul 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yea, there's parts of it that are annoying.

But ... as long as the first time, you make sure no 'media' is selected in the middle section of the New Project dialog (Import page ... ) ... and no options are selected/blue in the right-side section ... then you have the old behavior.

Shouldn't need to relaunch at all.

Type a Name.

Select a Location.

Click "Create" ... and you get the new project opened like before.

Build it by importing assets and building bins as you always have from the Project panel and the MediaBrowser panel.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 17, 2022 Oct 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just encountered the exact same problem. Clicked on "New Project", then, on the following screen, the "Create" button was grey... but I was doing the same thing as I always do. There is a bug. Had to restart Premier for the "Create" button to appear in blue, as it should.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2024 Feb 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, close & restart Premiere Pro fixes it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 11, 2022 Oct 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It definitely is the most illogical thing Adobe can do. Why add EXTRA steps??? Not useful at all and VERY frustrating!

When I click ONCE on a folder, I have found that it selects everything in that folder and greys out the CREATE button. So just be careful only to select the media and not the entire folder while browsing through the folders. You'll see a highlighted blue icon at the bottom that says the number of files/folders you've selected if you make this mistake.

Not the slightest bit intuitive, Adobe but here we are 😒

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 11, 2022 Oct 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which project start process do you want to use? You do have a choice here.

If you import directly from the new project/Import "page", then you get a "flat-folder" import. It's great for say TV newsrooms & such, but IS NOT INTENDED for most users to use.

If you want the typical project folder with bins, then do NOT import via that import page.

Type a Project Name, select a location, do NOT select any media, click Create.

You get the new project opened just as before, without ANY additional steps. And import via Project panel or MediaBrowser panel as you always have.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 21, 2023 Jun 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was the issue. I right-clicked on the small square (that had 999+ files selected!!) at the bottom and said clear all. Then the create option became available. All of the above 'expert' replies were so unhelpful to imply there is nothing wrong. How those files get selected is a problem - I have one file I want to open to start and PP decided to select over 1000. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 20, 2024 Mar 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THIS IS THE SOLUTION, folks. He means at the very bottom LEFT of the starting screen it has preselected images and or a folder full of hundreds of them! RIGHT-CLICK on both icons or whichever you see, and select CLEAR ALL for the BLUE CREATE button to activate. 

Indeed, this is a terrible design by Adobe and a useless, unhelpful step. I can choose my own frickin resolution from a blank slate and don't need some odd graphic image size to start a damn project! THE WORST! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 05, 2022 Dec 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same problem, I just reopen Premiere 3x before the Create button is activated. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 06, 2022 Dec 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you dumped the cache? Or perhaps trying the ol' "trash preferences" on startup. Definitely odd and unusual behavior there.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2022 Dec 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I just restarted it a few times, or maybe even restarted my
computer, and it worked.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2023 Jan 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had to open an old blank project all year because the create button is never enabled no matter what setting I use. I hope this gets resolved soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 04, 2023 Jan 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This would be something in your system or the way you're handling things. I've worked with several individuals and always been able to get them working. And I'd be happy to work with you on this also.

It's been several silly little things that are easily missed but .. 'fatal' ... if not handled correctly.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. See the above solution. The steps you keep describing do not work for people with the problem and fix outlined above, so no point in repeating it.  It has nothing to do with restarting the app. Nothing to do with clearing cache. SEE ABOVE SOLUTION, but it's still a stupid design and you still have to select some random media to start. So we're talking an extra 5  minutes to start a project at best, or in my case getting to this solution, an extra  hour gone, and for no logical reason. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If it's not working to select/add media,  don't use it for that. Seriously ... it's only one of several ways to add media.

Type a Project Name, select Location, DON'T click on anything in the 'media' section, and make sure nothing is selected (blue) upper right. 

Click Create.

DONE.

Now use the Project panel or MediaBrowser panel to add media.

As to adding media in the Import page ... there are some behaviors there that are very odd, no question, and not what anyone expects. Those were designed (weirdly, even to me) because they allow for some behavior choices ... which are kind of nifty ... when you know about them! ... but are totally bizarre until you do!

Not ... optimal. I'd say the design could be better 'normalized' to regular user's expectations, certainly. And as with so many things, they really could do a better job of tellling us about this stuff. Even just adding some pop-up 'tool tips' would help!

And just recently, on the Facebook pro editor's page, Karl Soule posted that the Import page is actually in many cases the best place to add complex media ... spanned clips and such ... to a current project. Because of 1) the way it handles complex media file structures under the hood and 2) the options in the upper right for moving/file verification and such.

Huh. I didn't have a single use for that page other than project start. But why the Hades didn't they tell us about that when they released that page?

Dunno.,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 21, 2023 Jun 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The import page is a known hot mess. Same with the export page. I ofen try to keep a blank project in my recents on the premiere home page, open that and save as. Digital Rebellion makes some free software out there that can make blank projects. You could always laucnh that and then import media. Not ideal, but whatever it takes to avoid that import page. 

scrozier_0-1687383116470.png

Based on Adobe's marketing this was made for people doing social content, but the old guard has complained for a year without Adobe reversing course. I wish they would just keep these features in Rush....

scrozier_1-1687383192455.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 02, 2023 Nov 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was a ridiculous change.  I'm stuck with greyed out create button now as well.

I can't fathom what goes on in Adobe meeting rooms to drum up some of these changes to the interface and workflow.   I really can't.    I can see one person coming up with odd new ideas, but I can't see a second person agreeing this was a great idea to progress with the change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh to be a fly on the wall when these decisions were made.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my tests, a greyed-out Create button only happens if I've not typed a project name.

So ... did you type a Project name?

The process actually is like the old one for most uses ... type a Name, set Location, click Create.

I as oft stated just wish we could tab to the Create button.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines