• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't create a new project

Explorer ,
May 25, 2022 May 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whatever Adobe did in the latest update, it seems impossible to simply create a blank new project. I don't understand why it forces the user to "SELECT MEDIA TO CREATE NEW PROJECT". It could be a helpful feature for novice users but I'm trying create a project so I can simply copy a sequence over so I can try to media manage - because Premiere Pro PROJECT MANAGEMENT feature is a perenial fallace - and I'm simply unable to do it.

Why, Adobe? Why???

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 01, 2024 Feb 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I quite agree. I get the last project when I ask for a blank project. Who on Earth decided to incorporate this stupid confusing addition to Premiere. Stop it now before I go crazy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you launch Premiere from the desktop icon, or by launching a project file? I'm wondering if that can be an issue.

And if you already have a project open, the "Import" page seems built with the assumption you are adding to the open project. It's probably the fastest way to add things like spanned clips into Premiere right now.

So ... you must close an open project, before creating a new one. Which is not obvious, and that should be obvious. As in maybe even a pop-up "do you want a new project or to add assets to the current project?"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I managed to find a way. I switched off the 'Open last project' option. Then I could either load the project of choice or create a new project. 'Create new project' with a project open (that is with the 'Load last project' option set and the previous scene loaded) just asked for materials for the project and kept the old one alive, with no change to the file name. It was nerve wracking at times as the previous project had to be erased manually, the new material added and saved with a new name. That was too much. I almost erased a complex file I had been working on for several days. The slightly slower option of not loading the previous file is how I'll do things from now on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still loath the new Import page. I would love if they just let you open a blank project on start like After Effects does so I never have to see it again. 

They somehow made something laggier and less performant than Media Browser or File Explorer and that is an accomplishment in and of itself. The UI feels like its made for a tablet or something I don't understand any of the choices. The whole click to select, double click to enter folder is a real headscratcher. Whenever I go back and try to use the Import page I accidentally select a root folder premiere will often crash becasue its trying to parse 15TB of media, because I didn't double click quite fast enough. Yes some user error, but its a terrible design overall.

They really need to get rid of that click to select and make it so you have to check the box to select or something, that would be a start. Also there is basically no nav tree so its a chore to navigate you have to breadcrumb your way in and out of folders. Why can't anyone else do column nav like finder does? Not sorting file lists so that folders are always at the top is also another pet peeve of mine. No way to show or hide metadata columns or sort by anything other than "file name" or "creation date." Its just not a real tool yet. 

Its baffling to me that Adobe thought this page was worthy of an entire dedicated tab next to edit and export. It's not ready for showtime. Import should just open a full screen media browser or file explorer instead of this backwards mess. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines