• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot Update Premiere Pro or Encoder

New Here ,
Oct 11, 2023 Oct 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I have a three or four year old HP laptop that I've been using Premiere Pro and Media Encoder on, and recently I haven't been able to update to the new version of Premiere Pro or Media Encoder. The reason I receive is "not compatible" with a "Processor with Advanced Vector Extensions 2 (AVX2) support required" message. Could someone tell me what this means and how to fix it so I can update Pro and Encoder? Thank you! 

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 11, 2023 Oct 11, 2023

It means your cpu misses some vital instructions

The fix is get a new computer or cpu or dont upgrade.

See Adobe Premiere Pro System Requirements 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Oct 11, 2023 Oct 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It means your cpu misses some vital instructions

The fix is get a new computer or cpu or dont upgrade.

See Adobe Premiere Pro System Requirements 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 09, 2024 May 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am facing same issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 15, 2023 Oct 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Danielle,

I received the same error...

My custom PC workstation is still a monster and outperforms... I do a lot of 3d modeling and animation and video on it... But it is a 12 yr old build! I have an i7 3960X and only has the AVX instruction set, and not the AVX2.

You can check to see if you have AVX2 or not here:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000090473/processors/intel-core-processors....

If you don't - like me - you need a new PC to move into the next gen of adobe software! (I wonder if this is going to affect me on other programs in the future too) This has been on my to do list anyway, but I dont like it when software upgrades dictate that economic footprint for me! - it isnt right -

On the other hand if your Processor does support the AVX2 instruction set, you may need to go into your BIOS and turn this instructiuon set on. Check with your MoBo MFG on how to do that.

PS Adobe: Are you going to flip the bill for my new PC build...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 15, 2023 Oct 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the exact CPU that your laptop has?

If it's an Intel Celeron or Pentium, then it does not support AVX2 instructions at all, all the way up to and including those that are derived from a 10th- or 11th-Gen Intel Core series CPU. Moreover, if it's an Atom-architecture CPU (as many Celeron- and Pentium-branded CPU), then it doesn't support AVX2 at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2024 Jan 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder if any of the software is using AVX2 or is it just a check.
Apple silicon runs happily recent Adobe software, without any support for AVX2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 24, 2024 Jan 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AVX2 became mandatory in order for Premiere Pro to start using it consistently instead of only being able to make use of AVX. This means that Premiere Pro will perform better on more recent hardware than it did before this restriction.

On Apple ARM this check is not performed as the M1/2/3 processors have their own counter-parts of accellerated instructions. (On Intel Macs this check still exists!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2024 Apr 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I own one of those great Apple Mac Pro from (late 2013) which is incredibly fast still nowadays... But Yes I understand this "NEW fix" is to get a new computer or can't upgrade kind of deal. Not nice Adobe. Make it work. I still use Photoshop on my other "newer devices".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Guido36450478x99j,

Thanks for the note. Sorry for the disappointment. Yes, these are cool machines, but all good things must come to an end. Computers used in editing must meet system requirements for various reasons. https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/system-requirements.html. 

Take care. 

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is very similar to what Microsoft is currently doing to its Windows operating system itself. When Windows 11 first came out, it officially could not be installed on a system without TPM 2.0 support. Although there is a modification that permitted installation of that OS on some older PCs, the next major servicing update will completely block most PCs released prior to 2009 from ever having Windows 11 installed because they lack certain CPU hardware features that the OS installation and operation now requires.

As for your Mac Pro, it is just about obsolete: Intel had completely discontinued all support and servicing for the 2013 Mac Pros' CPUs in 2020, while the AMD FirePro GPU support has virtually ended in June 2021. Plus, the 2013 Mac Pros will become depreciated to "vintage" support status this coming December. And already, you officially cannot update its macOS beyond Monterey, which technically is the absolute oldest version of macOS that Premiere Pro 2024 supports (subject to minimum hardware requirements, of course).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines