• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Captions reverting to empty "new caption" when editing another caption

Community Beginner ,
Aug 13, 2021 Aug 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I am making open captions from scratch (typing them manually, while listening to the words) it randomly reverts previous typed caption texts to the default "new caption" as if it was just created. Which means I have to type the same captions over and over again, until they "stick" (are saved correctly, I guess). It's very frustrating and time consuming.

I have no idea why. The only thing that helps seems to be to close the project and reopen. Then type the caption again and hope it is saved correctly.

Any tips are greatly appreciated.

TOPICS
Editing , Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 31, 2021 Aug 31, 2021

This does not appear to be a common problem. I have not experienced it.

What is the version of PR you are running? 15.4.0? 15.4.1? Or what?

One user that experienced something similar though it helped to do the editing in the Program Monitor rather than the Text Panel. Which are you using? 

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Aug 13, 2021 Aug 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any reason you're not having PrPro do the transcribing? Have gotten rather used to this now.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 15, 2021 Aug 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply. The audio and subtitles are in Danish. I don't think auto-transcribing works with Danish? 

Regards Mads.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 16, 2021 Aug 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Might not ...

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 31, 2021 Aug 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same frustrating problem. Any fixes yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This does not appear to be a common problem. I have not experienced it.

What is the version of PR you are running? 15.4.0? 15.4.1? Or what?

One user that experienced something similar though it helped to do the editing in the Program Monitor rather than the Text Panel. Which are you using? 

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply. I'm using 15.4.1 (build 6). Should be the most recent. I'm editing in the text field. 

I just did a quick test where I typed the sub-text in the program Monitor and only used the text panel to create new caption segments. This seems to work much better, although it seems like an unessecary workaround. (But hey, as long as it works). I have not had any "dropped" text in my short test.

Thank you for the suggestion! I hope this will continue to work 🙂 

"Detective work":

When I reach a certain number of caption segments (10-15+) the text panel lags and is 1-2 seconds "behind" the addition of new segments. E.g. it shows in the timeline and then 1-2 seconds later it "pops up" in the text panel - kind of like old fascioned lag ind games... My suspicion is that the creation of the subtitles somehow is a "big"/complicated process that runs in the background, and that my computer is being a bit stressed by it. Hence it creates a new segment, but "forgets" the text from one of the previous segments in the process. No idea if that's the case, just a thought. It just seems odd, as subtitles are just text combined with timemarkers to my knowledge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 01, 2021 Sep 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ramkaer,

Thanks for jumping back in, reporting your positive results, and doing your detective work!

Big picture: speech to text is now active and will replace copy/paste for many users. Editing the captions may be faster than the copy/paste operations.

Alternative: see this "no Text Panel" editing method by @Matt Younghttps://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-discussions/captions-window-needs-to-be-scrolled-down-fo...

Note in particular the shortcut Ctrl-Alt-C that creates a new caption segment in the timeline without going to the Text Panel. And the assignable shortcut to edit the caption in the Propram Monitor.

If this is a performance issue, try zooming in on the timeline so fewer captions are visible.

Captions are stored in the project file, and the system demand may be more substantial than it appears. But it still makes no sense to me that "simple" text can be so demanding.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 01, 2021 Sep 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Stan,

Thank you for the extra feedback. Speech to text will be handy I'm sure, but I don't think it is available in Danish yet? I will be on the lookout for when it comes. 🙂 

Thank you for the "no text panel" link, I will try that out. 

It might be a performance issue, although I don't think my computer is old/slow enough to cause this (i7 with 32 gb ram). But perhaps. I think the issue lies in creating and showing the segments in the text editor, and not the timeline. (The lag appears in the text editor). I agree it should not be too demanding with just text, but more may be happening in the background. Perhaps just a bug, and at least it seems not to be a widespread issue.

Thanks for all your help 🙂

/Mads

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See the reply below. This seems to work for me (at least in my short test). 🙂 

/Mads.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines