• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Changing view tabs crashes Premiere in new 2018 update

New Here ,
Apr 07, 2018 Apr 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a project that got migrated from the previous version of Premiere into the new updated version. Everything appeared to be working well until I tried to change the view to the color tab. This caused the program to crash. I've tried multiple times with the same result. I tried restarting, using the Adobe cleaner tool and using a previous version. Still the same issue. I also tried on a separate project and ran into the same problem. I need help!

Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 07, 2018 Apr 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you launch PrPro, go to Windows/Workspaces and click 'Reset to saved layout' ... and close/reopen PrPro. You may need to do this a couple times. You should be able to get to the color workspace then and as soon as it pops up, yup ... 'reset to saved layout' there also.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2018 Apr 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tried this a bunch of times but having no luck 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 20, 2019 Feb 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 12, 2018 Apr 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried it without any problems on my Macbook Pro

another possible problem might be your outdated GPU driver, try updating to the latest version

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2018 Apr 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hmm, checked my drivers and they're all up-to date, i'm running windows 10 and still having issues switching workspaces..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2018 Apr 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is anyone else still having this issue? OP? I still cant switch to the color window

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 18, 2018 Apr 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Past reset to saved layout, try going to the User/<username>/Documents/Adobe/Premiere Pro 12 folder. Inside there, maybe in a subfolder (as mine's in a "Profile-Creative Cloud" subfolder) will be a Layouts folder. Delete that folder.

Reboot, relaunch PrPro, see if that works  better.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2018 Apr 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've the same problem.

I've updated premiere pro this morning and now i can't switch to color tab.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 19, 2018 Apr 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try the Nuclear option ...

Adobe CC Cleaner Tool ... Adobe CC Cleaner Tool: https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/cs5-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

Download that ... and disregard the instruction to use the CC desktop app to uninstall PrPro, you want to uninstall with the Cleaner Tool. It's an old DOS type mini-window you run from keyboard-only responses. And it looks scary, like it's going to wipe ALL CC apps ... but don't fret, keep going until you've specifically got PrPro 12 as the option. It will give you one last window ... do you really want to remove PrPro 12.x? ... yes, you do.

Then manually make sure the Layouts folder mentioned above is gone, AND ... check all the preferences and cache file locations ... here's a listing ...

User Preferences Location/Setting/Use: https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/preferences.html

Make sure those are all gone.

Reboot.

From the CC desktop app, download/install the latest PrPro version.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 21, 2018 Apr 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is that all you have for answers?  Reboot, reinstall, delete folders, use tool.  How about they fix their bugged software!  Too many people have these same problems to be some user error crap or rare situations.  This is like level 1 support advice to keep them from fixing anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 22, 2018 Apr 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you said you tried on a separate project, was that a fresh new one ?

if this is happening on a fresh new project then I guess it is a bug, if no, try these :

did you try cleaning all the Preview Video files and Auto Save associated to this project ?

some of these files do not behave correctly from one version to another and cause unexplained trouble

are you working on 2 monitors ? a laptop ? attaching any monitor via HDMI ? how are you working ?

if on 2 screens, try stacking the window on 1 screen and check if it makes any difference, i guess there

is something with the GPU, try update to latest driver, when you click on color, and the GPU tries to read

data from the clip, here is the problem, and it is usually associated to trouble between premiere and GPU

try also to open a completely new project inside premiere, try to switch to color tab, if that doesn't make trouble,

then click on open project, and open the project you are working on, version 2018 you can open 2 projects.

if that doesn't work, open a fresh new project, import your old one from 'import project' and check if it works

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried all that and reinstalled twice, deleting all preferences and cache folders.  Finally installed version before latest update and it worked.  If they hired as many developers and testers as they do for billing, things like this might get fixed one day.  I'm sure it will happen again and it's not just me so major issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are issues in software that are across all users; there are issues on on OS; there are issues with specific hardware; and the number of hardware combinations is beyond counting now.

FCP being an in-house Apple app, has a direct line in working with the OS people. And of course, Apple forces a limited hardware set on the users which does help with reliability things dramatically.

And both FCP and Resolve work with a more limited format/codec set than PrPro. This year at NAB, a lot of aisle-talk was about suggesting the PrPro team give up the "we work all codecs" goal in order to gain stability.

So given the attempts to work with all hardware remotely possible and all codecs, PrPro's got a hard path to run. It does work for a large set of the user base. And well.

But for some users, it's slow or screwy, no question. And even so with some experienced users.

All that said, *many* user problems are the result of ... less than wise choices perhaps ... or less than optimal? ... choices in workflow. Or simply from not understanding the complex way the various tools and effects are processed,  and why very often the order things are applied *matter*. At that point, getting precise info on how someone is working is necessary to get them working the way they need to be doing things with this app, as it is now, in Realville.

Not some "I think it should work like this!" ... Ideal ... world.

That's neither being a fan-bois or apologist. It's just help trying to get that users work done TODAY.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clicking the Color tab just to have it crash after doing everything possible isn't a fluke.  I ended up reverting back to an older version and it's working again for now.  This problem has been around since they added lumetri color options.  They should leave some of those developers fixing bugs and listening to users rather than marching ahead looking for the next bloatware thing they can cram into it to justify their existence.  Take a poll and I'm sure stability would win over new features.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh sure, who would vote for instability?

And like most here, I've pushed for doing more percentage on stability than development. But running the whole app is a different perspective from our individual user one. If say 98% of users or whatever number they have are working ok, is that good enough? Or enough to stop new features to fix those issues?

I've no clue what their numbers really are, that's a closely held secret. I do know the vast majority aren't having major issues. I've been hit by bugs, like on first installing this release the custom workspace issue that went to total crash on launch in a couple hours. And took a few more to get fixed.

But realistically only a small percentage got that. And me for me and many others the Comparison View and shotnatch button shave tons of time on my projects. Yea, I wanted those features.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

can you guys please send your workflow specs ? If Windows 10, which build ? which version ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 04, 2018 May 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem as well.  Windows 10.  It only started happening with the update.  I can get to the color tab only if I delete my Layouts folder under Users but saving any minor changes to the space and switching back and forth results in a crash.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 04, 2018 May 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I have figured it out.   If you have the Lumetri Scopes Panel in your Color tab to be shown by default, thats where it crashes.   Right now my workaround is to have the Lumetri Panels in the Editing Workspace.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 12, 2018 May 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So was that it? Has Adobe been working well ever since this fix?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 13, 2018 May 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are several threads where others and myself have detailed how to troubleshoot this and for many, get the color workspace working. I'm on my phone and can't type out all the steps.

Also, modifying the All Panels workspace seems to work.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh yeah I saw those and tried them. They didn't work for me. I can edit entire videos but by the time I think to the color tab the whole program shuts down anyways. I have uninstalled the program and deleted cash files etc... Still the problem with the color tab persisted

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cache files wouldn't do anything for this. It's the Layouts folder and/or Adbe CC Cleaner Tool to uninstall that might.

Have you tried modifying the All Panels workspace?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I haven't done any modifications. I'm relatively new to Adobe so I sort of just took the program as it was. I have just edited my videos and that's it. No custom anything to the program

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The workspaces are all designed to be customized. Robust go into All Panels, close what you don't want, and move things around for grading.

I like the Lumetri panel to the right, scopes on the left,  program monitor in the middle,  timeline on the bottom. But whatever you want.

They have some decent tutorials and docs in the help system on modifying workspaces.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines