• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Color Bars SD vs HD. Is there a difference?

Engaged ,
Feb 28, 2017 Feb 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I noticed that Premiere has built in Color Generator Bars. Both SD and HD versions. The HD version has a complete different layout then the SD Version. I'm used to Calbrating using the SD version and using the PLUGE. It seems the HD version in Premiere and elsewhere doesn't have the standard Black on the bottom but rather a gradient of white to black with blues and reds above it in small squares.

If I calibrate my monitor using the SD bars is that the same for HD video?

SD

SD Bars.PNG

HD

HD Bars.PNG

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would  (and do) use the HD version  because of the graduation.

That along with the pluge are key points of calibration.

Cant think of a reason to use SD Bars for HD editing.

Note : I use to use it when shooting SD and check it against the SD bars from the camera. sing Scopes

Now  its all HD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

but there is no pluge for HD. I looked. The black box you are supposed to barley see when setting pluge is missing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can see the pluges in your screen grab and they are located as per the specification that Neil posted.

GUI Bars.PNG

Monitor Bars.PNG

Bars Scope.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for that diagram. Must be my monitor is set so I couldn't see them at all. when I raised the contrast etc I could see them. So I just set the left one so I can barley see it? COOL thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 01, 2017 Mar 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

One of the  gotcha tricks with reading pluges and Color Bars on monitors is angle of viewing. 

Some monitors have wide angle viewing and lesser ones dont.  Some manufacturers include the angle in the specs.

Glad you got it sorted bryce.  It is a simple enough calibration to do and well worth doing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm seeing two small grey lines which act as PLUGE but PLUGE on the SD color bars in one Grey bar not two.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looking up the standards for HD color bars, there's this graphic for what each section is supposed to be ...

That should answer your question on the twin pluge bars ... the right one is Black set signal for SDTV, the left one is the Black set signal for HDTV.

From the pdf ...

"ARIB STD-B28

Version 1.0-E1

Chapter 4 Explanation

The multiformat color bar signal embodies a single color bar based on the combination of a 100% color bar signal used in HDTV and a 75% color bar signal used in SDTV. Using Making use of the aspect ratio difference between HDTV and SDTV, 4:3 aspect ratio area is utilized as the common area for SDTV and HDTV color bar signals and the outside of 4:3 area are only for HDTV use. Thus, this color bar gives benefit both for HDTV and SDTV. It provides facilities for not only video source level control but also other operational benefits such as monitor adjustments."

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines