• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Color changes drastically from PC to Mac (or possibly Nvidia to AMD GPU acceleration)

New Here ,
Dec 06, 2021 Dec 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PC version (What it should look like):

windows-ss.png

Mac Version (Blown out, high contrast, yellow tones):

mac-ss.png

They are both the same project file, same footage, same sequence, yet the look completely between the two computers. It seems to have something to do with the gpu hardware acceleration. When we disable GPU acceleration (Nvidia cuda core) in the project settings while on pc, it reproduces this super high contrast effect which i see on the Mac side. However, no matter if i enable or disable GPU hardware acceleration (AMD Metal) on the mac, the effect stays. It is as if the graphics cards are are auto adding a completely different LUT. This was shot on an Arri AMIRA camera. I have a 2018 Macbook pro which uses an AMD graphics card. The freelancer had a PC with an Nvidia card. 

My issue arisses as I had this color correction done by a freelancer who worked on a PC, and I only have a Mac. Any ideas for how to fix this on the mac end? As my freelancer is now booked all week. This edit has a lot of footage, and my only solution thus far is to spend a lot of time re colorcorrecting all the footage that looks messed up on my mac! Please help!

TOPICS
Editing , Error or problem , Formats , Hardware or GPU

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,
Dec 06, 2021 Dec 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was it color corrected for broadcast? It might be the result of a gamma shift. If your video is being uploaded to social media your video will look different on an Dell laptop VS an iMac. The video below kind of demonstrates that. Having said that you don't have to color correct every video clip. You can simply add an adjustment layer or use a LUT during rendering. The second video demonstrates that.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2021 Dec 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No its just a video for youtube. I also am able to reproduce the terrible looking color on the pc by turning off GPU acceleration in the project settings, so unfortunately I don't think the above applies. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Dec 07, 2021 Dec 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The video I posted would still apply. Having said that the new version of Premiere Pro does need the color settings to be set up correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 01, 2022 Sep 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am jumping in on this bc I am having this issue.  Mac vs PC is different, even though all setting in Premiere match 100%

Is this a Mac level thing?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 01, 2022 Sep 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all!

Also worth noting that the monitors that Apple makes display color different than anywhere else. There are some details here on the science behind it: https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/quot-why-does-my-footage-look-darker-in-premiere-quot-co... 

@kellyclarksn Your situation does not seem to be the issue described in the link above. The link above mostly applies to exported clips played back in QuickTime or VLC, not projects still open in Premiere. Yours could potentially be this issue. https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-discussions/faq-how-to-fix-saturated-over-exposed-hlg-cl... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 11, 2023 Jul 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I currently have the same issue, please is there a solution to it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 16, 2024 Jul 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nobody found the fix to this? It's not the Quicktime Gamma Shift, it's another issue, and I can't seem to figure it out!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 16, 2024 Jul 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Please start a new thread. And give all the needed details so we can help.

OS/CPU/GPU ... the type of storage (internal/external) ... the specifics about the media, format/codec and what produced it. And of course a screengrab of your entire Color Management settings on the Lumetri panel's Settings tab, the one named Settings. Drag/drop onto the text box area.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines