Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Color Profile Changes in Export

New Here ,
May 23, 2018 May 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Morning!

I'm having issues with the color profiles in my projects. Basically, the video in premiere looks great, but the export itself is much flatter/ desaturated. When uploaded onto Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube, the video matches the flat export, not the Premiere project, which leads me to believe it's not a display/ screen issue.

Has anyone encountered this, is it a common problem? If so, what is a solution to get the colors in the export to match the project? As an additional note, I used Media Encoder to export.

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , May 30, 2018 May 30, 2018

Because of the way PrPro internally handles color. PrPro is a color-managed sRGB/Rec709 app, and will if possible over-ride hardware.

The other programs you mentioned are ​not ​color-aware, and do not attempt in any way to match color profiles and standards.

So of course they 'show' the files differently.

If you're using a browser for YouTube/Vimeo, the ​only​ browser that has any color-awareness is Firefox. Neither Chrome nor Safari give a puck about color heading in files. Or on the screens they

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
May 23, 2018 May 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a very common discussion.

PrPro is an app designed for use on pro equipment running according to the main world-wide standard of Rec709 ... which is sRGB and gamma around 2.2.It will work in that profile period ... so if your monitor is native to sRGB, callibrated to Rec709, and shows the color bars & tone chips both from PrPro and other calibration sites properly, you're good to go.

Also, the most proper way to check video levels & such is via an exported image through an external box from say BlackMagic or AJA or Kona, with a calibrated LUT driving through the box to a pro broadcast-level calibrated display. No, I don't happen to have one of those either. But I did purchase a "confidence" or Program monitor because it was above 98% of sRGB, native to sRGB and D65 white point, and many other users of this in professional environments stated they were able to use this after calibration with decently close matching to their b-cast monitors.

And ... I've sent exported clips off to a couple people I know who have serious broadcast colorist gear to see how it shows on their systems. It checks out fine, though they always tell me I don't have the level of gear & calibration to guarantee that. Well ... it's working, and I don't need total b-cast specs for what I mostly do.

Now ... after anyone's graded their files ... you can't control what happens out in the wild. And there are no standards at all in browsers, video players, and nearly every monitor/phone/tv out there. For video players, the only two normally recommended around here are VLC and Potplayer.

But if your monitor isn't sRGB/D65/Rec709 setup and calibrated, well ... you won't see what PrPro is trying to do because you're not on standard to begin with. There's that first. Many of the newer Macs are in the P3 profile, way off from sRGB/Rec709. And Apple being Apple, you can't really do anything with those monitors & your OS anyway.

Next, the only browser that pays any attention to "proper" recognition of the color space of the video files being shown is Firefox. Safari & Chrome are notable for their total lack of color concern.

Past that, YouTube is ... really, really odd. They may do a double-encode of uploaded media. First they t-code to one codec with a certain profile, then within an hour or two to a second codec with profile that will properly display Rec709 out of PrPro. The first t-code looks as you're complaining, because it's not treating the video with the proper display specs. The second is fine.

Mine are about always uploaded to what I expect, as shown in Vimeo/YouTube via Firefox. Many ... aren't.

A way around that is to use either DNxHD/R out of PrPro and upload that to YouTube/Vimeo.

Or with an H.264 export as you've been doing, after it's uploaded to your channel on YouTube, select it, then select "retouch" ... but when you get to the retouch screen, just click 'save' and it will now re-encode to the proper video settings.

But understand, that above it all, you can't fix gramma's green tv. Heard a colorist talking about this ... he'd graded a commercial, and some time later was visiting his gramma. Her tv was just way off green, and there comes his commercial ... way off green like everything else on her tv. But it didn't look "bad" ... why?

Because as everything was way-off green, it was ... "normal" ... for her.

Some people may view your vids on a monitor/screen with a gamma of 2.6 in a dark room ... others with that in a bright room, and all manner of settings in between. High, low contrast, saturation all over the place.

The only thing you can control is that you grade in a setup as close to professional standards as you can get it. Then realize that your material will look like other 'pro' material on other screens, no matter how much different it looks from your screen. Because it's within "normal" on that screen for pro media.

But it will never ... ever look in any other screen like it does on yours.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 30, 2018 May 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having this problem for over a year now.  I'm looking at exported clip playback on the same screen as my Program monitor in PrPro, which I have in full screen on my iMac Retina display, with the interface on a Samsung widescreen.  Why would it look different in QT Player/Vimeo/Youtube on the same screen I used for color grades if this were about color calibration of my monitors?   If I re-import the exported video to PrPro, it looks fine in the program monitor.  I don't remember this ever being a problem before the last year or two, so I'm a bit confused.  I want my color to look like how I designed it when I upload work online.  But it doesn't on the same "uncalibrated" screen.  Something isn't right with this.  I just wish I knew what it was.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because of the way PrPro internally handles color. PrPro is a color-managed sRGB/Rec709 app, and will if possible over-ride hardware.

The other programs you mentioned are ​not ​color-aware, and do not attempt in any way to match color profiles and standards.

So of course they 'show' the files differently.

If you're using a browser for YouTube/Vimeo, the ​only​ browser that has any color-awareness is Firefox. Neither Chrome nor Safari give a puck about color heading in files. Or on the screens they show on.

YouTube does a double-encoding process, and for some of us, it always does it, for many it rarely does. I don't know why. My YouTube uploads come across correctly in Firefox on my monitors.

To force the second encoding, so your uploads look appropriate ... after uploading the file, go into your channel, select that file, select 'retouch', then save. It will re-encode and in the process recognize & apply the data/video levels and gamma of the file to the re-encode.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you much Neil. I opened Vimeo in Firefox and you are completely correct. The color is there. It’s just crazy that QT Player does this same thing as Chrome and Safari. Do you ever see this in QT Player?

Robin Chilton

Director/Cinematographer

Peregrine Media Group

Ph 805.550.7698

Fax 888.544.6163

<mailto:robin@pmgfilm.com>robin@pmgfilm.com

www.pmgfilm.com <http://www.pmgfilm.com/>

facebook.com/peregrinemediagroup <http://www.facebook.com/peregrinemediagroup>

This transmission is confidential and intended solely for the person or organization to whom it is addressed. It may contain privileged and confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, you should not copy, distribute or take any action in reliance on it. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify us immediately via email or call (805) 544.2843.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

QT player is notorious for being "stoopid" on color management. On Macs with appropriate OS and monitor settings, it wasn't so noticeable. But on PC's or P3-monitored Macs, it's ... rather obvious.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines