• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Colors shift after reopening project

Advisor ,
Jun 18, 2019 Jun 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought I'd give it another go, but I reopen an ongoing project after doing extensive color correction, and my colors have shifted.

Display Management is off.

I downgrade the project and open it in CC18, and the colors look totally different.

This is NOT professional software, and I can't believe that Adobe is getting away with charging us for crap that hasn't worked right for a YEAR.

Moderator Note: Title changed to reflect actual issue.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What sort of system do you work on, and what is your monitor, ICC profile in your OS, and what sort of calibration have you done?

I'm running on Win10, with a "confidence" monitor for transmit out that is profiled to the broadcast standards this app runs on, and have no issues. Video sRGB, Rec.709, gamma 2.4, and 100 nits brightness. Everything in the program looks the same "outside" whether in VLC, Potplayer, or Resolve.

Calibrated with i1 Display Pro, then checked by creating a profile with Lightspace in tandem with Resolve. Everything is under the deltaE of 2.3 for good quality color/tonal work.

Premiere is actually very tightly color managed ... for that broadcast setup. If you are working outside that, that is typically where problems ensue. But ... outside those standards, which are used for the vast majority of media made ... you'll have problems anyway.

I've a new tutorial on color management and handling in Premiere posted today on Mixinglight.com. It's going to stay free outside the paywall, so you and anyone else can go see what happens and how to setup your system.

Neil

https://mixinglight.com/color-tutorial/demystifying-premiere-pros-color-management-and-finishing-pip...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lucky you.  I have another thread on another forum populated with pros like me with decades of experience, and we've all come to the same conclusion:  Pr CC 19 is crap.  And, we're not happy about it.

My gear is good stuff and calibrated.  I'm not new at this.  My colors are changing when I reopen a project.

And I've totally given up on Dynamic Link for anything besides sending a clip or group of clips to Ae for processing.  Having to relink dozens of clips when I switched back and forth between Ae and Pr got old quickly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I watched your video, Neil.  It's GREAT!  Very informative, and you're an excellent presenter.  I've searched high and low for what some of those check boxes and scope options mean on the Adobe manual and site, and they are MIA.

My monitor (fairly new Eizo ColorEdge CG2730 - sold as a grading monitor) and Pr settings are correct.  I had my gamma on 2.2, and as you know, there's not a world of difference between 2.2 and 2.4.

What you may have overlooked in my OP is that I reported that (most) everything works well in CC 18 (except Dynamic Link).  There are several little irritants besides, like the cursor disappearing forcing a relaunch, 4X launch time over CC 18, and general lack of snappiness.  It's just not ready for prime time, IMO.

I will say, however, that I inherited a project from another editor earlier this year, and I was able to successfully complete it, looking good, as soon as I ditched Dynamic Link, which is problematic on any project with more than four or five linked Comps.

I appreciate your reply, Neil, and wish my problem was settings, because, as I mentioned, Pr CC 19 has been out around a year now, and it's still too buggy to use daily, and inferior in too many ways to CC 18 for me not to gripe about it.  As I mentioned, coincidentally, this topic of shifting colors and gamma in Pr CC 19 came up today on the Media-Motion.tv list.  I'm not the only one.  Many people on that list are heavy hitters.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Jim, thanks for the comments. When I was running questions past engineer Francis Crossman, at times he was going back to refer to engineering notes. No kidding, some of that ain't "out there" but should have been.

There are all sorts of things that can go buggy, no doubt. And that Eizo is darn nice kit ... though Steve Shaw of LightIllusions/Lightspace still says one should run a LUT box between output card & that monitor as it doesn't store internal LUTs generated by calibration process. Not that many folk who aren't full time colorists run LUT boxes however.

He's also not that keen on the Mac OS as it's harder to shut off all the inbuilt attempts to control the video signal. But doable of course.

I've seen some posts of those with say color shifts between playing back and paused even within Pr, and ... well, I can't replicate. Wish I had some ideas to try even.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 19, 2019 Jun 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jim,

A few questions that may help us figure out what's going on here.

Can you please share your machine configuration details?

What kind of footage are you working with?

Is hardware decoding enabled? (Prefs>Media)

Is the color shift fairly random? Does the shift occur on different clips after opening the project several times?

Wes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jun 28, 2019 Jun 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for my delayed reply here.  I had several projects to deliver quickly.  Luckily, there are a couple of Pr Project downgraders that allowed me to finish that Waterloo in Pr CC 2018.  And BTW, I didn't and still don't have nearly the same issues in Pr CC 2018.

The moderator changed my title from "Pr CC 2019 is an unmitigated disaster," which I will now re-confirm. 

I just tried opening a project I successfully finished on CC 2018 on my desktop system on my MBP laptop with a new USB-C RAID with the footage and project copied over from my desktop RAID in CC 2019.

Result: excruciatingly slow performance, lots of beach balls, crashes, and kernel panics.  I will be kind and resolute here, and attribute the KPs to a possible hardware issue, perhaps the USB-C RAID.

I opened the same project in CC 2018 on the MBP, and although performance is a bit slower than on my desktop, it's not nearly as painful as with Pr CC 2019.  The difference is night and day.  CC 2019 is not usable in a pro environment on large projects.

My desktop system:  MacPro5,1 - 2 x 3.06 6-core - OSX 10.13.6 - 128 GB RAM - NVidia Titan X GPU with latest GPU and CUDA drivers installed - ATTO SAS RAID5 8-drives, average of 500 GB/s i/o - My displays are probably irrelevant as far as Pr performance, but I have the previously mentioned EIZO and an HP Z32x DreamColor attached.  By eyeball, they match color fairly well.  I calibrate the HP with their "HP DreamColor Calibration Solution" and hockey puck.  I let the Eizo self-calibrate.

Laptop:  MBP Retina 14" 2014 - OSX 10.13.6 - 16 GB RAM - Nvidia GE Force GT 750M (latest Nvidia drivers) & Intel Iris Pro - OWC Mercury RAID5 w/USB-C interface (MBP has USB-3.0, so the RAID can't i/o at its peak) - I attach an HP DreamColor LP2480zx via HDMI, but don't use this monitor or laptop for color grading so far.

I'm no Sherlock Holmes, but when I see seriously degraded performance between the two versions of Premiere on two separate systems, putting the blame on the software is not a crazy deduction.

The footage used on the color shifts I initially reported was Sony MXF 4K and a DJI drone transcoded in Pr to H264 Proxy media.

What really concerns me is that some of my colleagues have reported that Adobe is going to stop supporting their apps more than two versions back.  If this is true, what that means is that when Pr CC 2020 comes out, we'll have no choice but to use garbage like 2019 or switch to another vendor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Jim,

Sorry to hear that you've had some troubles here. 

There may be some external factors that are affecting your performance with 2019.  While there may be some cases where 2019 is slower and I have seen some reports, I would not expect the massive differences that you have reported nor would I expect it to be an across the board slowdown. 

Question - when you have switched versions, have you manually deleted your media cache folders?

I suspect that it's possible that some of these files meant to accelerate certain functionality may have had some changes version to version and this could be part of the problem here.  This is an issue that we are prioritizing and investigating internally.

If you've gone back to 2019, could you confirm that you've deleted existing cache files and then let us know if that helps?

Happy to assist with you troubleshooting this issue if you have interest and some cycles to share details.

Most of Adobe engineering is OOTO next week for summer shutdown so some responses could be a bit slower.  

Wes

Delete Media Cache Folders

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2152942

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wes, thanks for the advice.  I delete my caches regularly, and most times after any crash or other problems, and usually after long edit sessions.  I recall the days when corruption was more common, before CC18, which has been pretty stable at 12.1.2.

I've tracked the majority of Pr issues to corrupted prefs, and I reset those quite often as well.

Pr puts caches in the OSX location your linked article mentioned, and also in the location I choose in the Media Cache preferences, AND in the User>Library>Adobe>Caches folder.  IOW, all over the place.  I keep aliases to all of them on my desktop for easy access and deletion.

I keep a clean copy of my Prefs zipped in the location for the prefs, too, with an alias to that folder so that I don't have to manually reset everything.

I'm still experimenting on my MBP today.  I launched the same project in CC 18 and 19 and was switching back and forth to see if the colors were shifting.  I know that probably horrifies you, but it's the only way to  see if 19 is jacking with my color on my laptop as it was on my desktop.  The good news is:  the colors are the same between the two Pr versions.

I apologize for muddling this thread with issues on my desktop and laptop.

If you're taking a vacation next week, have a nice one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 19, 2019 Jun 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wild guess, Jim, but were any of the color settings saved, as in "making it a preset" of sorts, and it somehow reset because it couldn't find it for whatever reason? Like perhaps an install or reinstall of 2019 after you initially cc corrected the project?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim,

Might this doc and its attached LUT assist your issue? "Why does my footage look darker in Premiere?" Color Q&A

Do you have a link? I'd like to drop this LUT over there too. Or are you talking about the IMUG list serve?

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 03, 2021 Nov 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just tapping in here to say I'm having the same exact problem. I export videos for clients with a meticulous color correction, however the next day when I reopen the project all the color correction is messed up. The setting look the same however but all the defenition, contrast and saturation have left the picture. It's not just a visual bug because when I export with the same color correction settings as before the videos now come out looking like crap. I'm using my previous exports now as my 'new rushes' as a temporary last resort because I have to meet my deadlines. PLEASE adress this asap.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

haha, just qseeing that this original post is from 2019. Well, my problem looks exactly the same but in Pr CC 2022

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Completely different issue however. Nothing to do with the previous issue.

First thing to check is whether PrPro loaded itself with the Display Color Management option selected. Most users should have this "on" but it may not have set itself correctly.

Past that, I would imagine your issue has to do with the new color management options in variuos places rolled out in the 2022 release.

• In the project panel, clip properties, there's a setting for clip color managment.
  • Sequences now have a color management settings in Sequence dialog
  • Scopes have color management settings also.

Check those to see is the clip or sequence CM needs changing.

Because there have been some rather major changes in color managment. Users (including me) have been screaming for user-settable CM for years. We're starting to get it. And that added options/complexity is also a problem at times.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2021 Nov 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Noticed it today and I was so confused. I love this new version! Crazy thing is I never really noticed all the details until this happened, like the sword Download apks  ðŸ˜… 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines