• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Constant Crashing on Brand New Mac Studio M1 Ultra, Across Multiple Versions of Premiere

Participant ,
Jul 05, 2022 Jul 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just got a brand new Mac Studio with the M1 Ultra chip, and the first project I am attempting to edit on it is crashing constantly. I am not trying to do anything crazy whatsoever, literally jsut cutting up a 1080 mp4 video. Crashing happens when simply playing on the timeline. I have reverting back a version of Premiere, and just updated to the newest. All 3 different version had the same problem. Sometimes I will get the "... has encountered a serious problem" warning from Premiere, yet the video will continue playing (very choppy) until I say okay and let the program close. This is incredibly frustrating/dissapointing to say the least. Anyone have any ideas?

Premiere 22.5.0

Mac OS Monterey 12.4

Apple M1 Ultra Chip

128 GB Memory

TOPICS
Crash , Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After upgrading my PC my screens would go black and the computer would reboot. Other people had the same problem. I simply wiped and reloaded Windows and the screens no longer go black nor does the computer reboot. My computer still has some performance issues as seen in the video link below. It seems as though Premiere Pro is getting worse and worse. I cannot help but think the people who designed the Mercury Playback Engine have quit or retierd.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try resetting the preferences, even going as far as to manually delete them.

If the Library tab is open, try closing it.

Try a 1080p ProRes clip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 07, 2022 Jul 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will try suggestions, thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 08, 2022 Jul 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just as an update here: I have reverted back to Premiere Pro 22.0, and have yet to experience a crash. Working on the same project with the same footage. It's only been a day, and the type of work I am doing has shifted, so there some variables here that may be a factor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jul 08, 2022 Jul 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am glad it is working again. Having said that a lot of people's problems go away if they revert back to an older version of Premiere Pro. I usually only upgrade once a year because of the fear of getting more bugs with each release. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 30, 2022 Aug 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am in the same hell... and have been for months.  I purchased the new M1 Ultra Mac Studio in April.  I've been experiencing the crashing more & more frequently.  Thought the Red footage I was cutting was to blame at first, and then it started happening in projets that had none.  Scubbing through footage on the timeline, there will be a hiccup, the audio playback will stutter a few times, and then the crash report.  Projects of varying complexity... it's bad.  And it's costing me at least an hour of productivity a day... which is $ERIOU$ time!  Will try reverting from 22.5 back to 22.0 & see if that works. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 08, 2022 Sep 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE: Going back to v22.0 seems to have done the trick.  Been cutting for days without a crash (vs. 5 or 6 a day.)  There are some occasional playback glitches (something I'm guessing were corrected between 22.0 & 22.5) but everything exports clean.  If you're suffering on the M1 using 22.5, this will get your blood pressure back to normal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 26, 2022 Oct 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am also on the mac studio ultra and reverting to 22.0 is not helping for me... Any updates on this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 20, 2022 Dec 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running into same issues with latest versions ofAfter Effects 2023. Roto brush crashes, Saber plugins crash, sometimes "Save As" crashes it... I'm starting to think it's an umbrella issue with After Effects. 

Mac OS Ventura 13.1
Mac Studio Ultra M1
128 GB Memory
Dynamic Link w/ latest Premiere Pro

Currently installing previous versions (22 and below)... No luck so far. 
Serious bummer, as this recent equipment upgrade is causing more headaches than it has solved.
Was working on Mac Pro 2013 until Dynamic Link issues became incessant. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 20, 2022 Dec 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Dair Designs 

Are you running the version of Saber released on May 18, 2022?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines