• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Crash/freeze when applying Optical Flow time interpolation to clips - PP CC 2018

Explorer ,
Dec 22, 2017 Dec 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DESCRIPTION OF PROBLEM

The problem consistently happens when I attempt to render a clip in my sequence after the spend/duration has been changed (slowed down) with the "Optical Flow" Time Interpolation selected. Immediately after entering the Render Selection command on this single clip, the entire computer locks up completely. (This isn't an application freeze, but rather a complete system lock-up (no input from mouse or keyboard) and requires a force-power-off of the computer using the hard power button.

After re-launching PP and attempting the same action on the same clip, I get the same results. Ruling out a corrupt clip/file, I removed the problematic portion of my sequence and edited for about an hour without any problems, but when I attempted to create the same effect again on a different clip/file, I got the same results immediately when I tried to render. (To further complicate things, I have been able to render with Optical Flow in other projects, but it doesn't do anything—it just renders as if I've chosen Frame Sampling.)

COMPUTER INFO

• iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)
  • macOS High Sierra (10.13.1)
  • Processor: 4 GHz Intel Core i7
  • Installed memory: 32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
  • Graphics: AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4 GB

HARD DRIVE INFO

• Working from a Gigabit network-connected Synology DS1817+
  • WD RED 4TB drives (x8) – I believe they are SHR (Synology Hybrid RAID)

PROJECT INFO

• Premiere Version: Premiere Pro CC (2018 Release) 12.0.0 (Build 224)
  • Footage: Canon C100 Mark II, MPEG (.MP4) 1920x1080, 23.976fps
    • Recorded at 59.94fps and slowed to 23.976 in-camera using the "Special Recording - Slow & Fast Motion" function
  • Renderer: Mercury Playback Engine GPU Acceleration (Metal)
  • Red Giant Universe is the only plugin installed; some effects being used (sparingly) in this project, but not on the clips in question
  • TRT of timeline: about 5 min

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 02, 2018 Mar 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

has you resolved this issue?   I am having the exact problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 06, 2018 Mar 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, even after updating I could not get my 2 existing projects to render these effects correctly. A new project I started after updating has been rendering as expected (for now), so perhaps the update fixed my issue for new projects… But it bothers me a lot that I'm still unable to render those original two projects as desired—and they suffer a loss in overall quality as a result.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 06, 2018 Mar 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now that's a well stated original question. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 21, 2018 Mar 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have EXACTLY the same iMac configuration, and even the same Universe plugins. As soon as I changed the renderer from Metal to OpenCL the clips render without system freezes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 18, 2018 Apr 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a critical freeze on my MBP, also by using optical flow procedure. Like the suggestion above I switched from Metal to OpenCL. It fixed the problem for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 19, 2018 Apr 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

We are looking into this.  I can reproduce this on several Mac systems.  The current workaround is to use OpenCL renderer rather than Metal.  Please feel free to file a bug here - User Voice

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines