• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cross dissolve between sequences

Participant ,
Sep 07, 2021 Sep 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a sequence where I combine different clips and other sequences.

I have a specific point in the main sequence where I have a clip, then a sequence, then another sequence and then a clip. I can add cross dissolve between the clip and the sequences, but not between the two sequences. When I try, I get an error saying "Insufficient media. This transition will contain repeated frames."

What is going on here? Is it not possible to cross dissolve between two sequences?

See screenshot. I try to add cross dissolve between the two "green" sequences here.

Screenshot 2021-09-08 at 01.09.11.png

TOPICS
Editing , Effects and Titles

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See the little triangle at the top where the two nested sequence join?

That indicates there are no "handles" available. Basically, for a cross-dissolve to work, there need to be un-shown frames on each clip equal to or greater than the time of the dissolve.

So if you have two clips, and want to apply a cross-dissolve that would be 12 frames (half second at 24fps) on each side. The 'out' of the first clip would need to be cut at least 12 frames before the end of the clip to have those un-shown frames as "handles".

And of course, the following clip would need at least 12 frames of un-shown media at the beginning of the clip for the cross-dissolve to work.

Because the way the dissolve works ... it starts fading in those 12 frames of the second clip and then fades out on the 12 frames of the first clip. This way the cut point is the center (normally) of the transition, and the last and first points of the clips as edited set the transition point.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neil explained it rightly but the alternative is to do it manually by stacking the clips or sequences that have no handles, and using opacity keyframes MANUALLY to create dissolve.

Don't forget... a cross dissolve usually denotes a 'change in time and place' ... so maybe you don't really need it ??

Anyway, check out manual transistions ( fADE IN FADE OUT ETC.) using opacity keyframes.

good luck

: )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This illustrates what Neil said so eloquently:

https://www.mediacollege.com/adobe/premiere/pro/transition/handles.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for all your replies. I did some more testing. I made sure that each of the nested sequences had handles now. The sequences consists of just one clip each, and that clip has handles as you can see on the screenshot below.

Screenshot 2021-09-08 at 05.32.08.png

Screenshot 2021-09-08 at 05.32.26.png

But, the timeline still shows "the little triangles" - but now at the start of the nested sequences:

Screenshot 2021-09-08 at 05.35.40.png

How come? There are clearly handles available in the clip contained in each of these sequences.

When I add the cross dissolve, it will not "overlay" both nested sequences, but shows "overlaying" the second sequence as showbn below:

Screenshot 2021-09-08 at 05.44.06.png

Also the cross dissolve between the "blue clip" and the first nested sequence is shown overlaying the sequence and not the blue clip.

What does the cross dissolve position mean here? The cross dissolve effects between the clips and the sequence and the two sequences seems to do its job, but I had expected it to lay "in the middle" of the sequences (and in the middle of the clip and the sequence).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines