• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CS6 - Generating Peak Files every time I open the same project?

Explorer ,
Jun 05, 2012 Jun 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS6 wants to generate peak files every time I open the same project.  I had a similar problem once with CS5, and when I unchecked the box telling the applicatio to save media files near their originals it went awat.  But this box is still unchecked, and yet PP keeps wasting time and processing with this task.  How can I get the program to recognize the Peak Files it has already created?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 02, 2012 Dec 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having problems with the following format:

File format: MPEG Movie

Codec: MPEG-1/2 Video (mpgv)

Resolution & Interlace vs Progressive: 1440 x 1080 (1080i), 25fps

video files were captured with Premiere CS6 from a HDV tape

(an mp4 file in the same project that was imported as an existing file doesn't have this problem)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 03, 2012 Dec 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem with PP CS6 trial after latest update.  The link provided above to report it doesn't work anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 04, 2012 Dec 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Folks, please just list your media spec out like this:

File format: MPEG Movie

Codec: MPEG-1/2 Video (mpgv)

Resolution & Interlace vs Progressive: 1440 x 1080 (1080i), 25fps

video files were captured with Premiere CS6 from a HDV tape

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

File format: QuickTime MOV

Codec: ProRes (Proxy)

Resolution & Interlace vs Progressive: 1920 x 1080 (1080p), 23.976fps

video files were transcoded via Final Cut Pro Log and Transfer from tapeless media that was transferred to a shared network drive

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

File formats: QuickTime MOV, Windows AVI, MTS

Codecs: DV, DV, AVCHD

Resolution & Interlace vs Progressive: 720x480, 29.97i, 720x480, 29.97i, 1920x1080, 29.97i

video files were recorded onto a DTE FireStore FS-100, captured by Sony Vegas Pro Video Capture, off an SD card from a Panasonic HMC-40

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 05, 2012 Dec 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here.

File format:  MPEG

Codec:  Canon MXF

Resolution:  720p 60fps

Loaded to HD using Canon XF ultility and then imported into Premiere CS6.

Tries to conform on each load.  Worse yet, enabling automacitc peak file generation in preferences causes media to "drop out" the next time the project is loaded, displaying the "media pending" screen.  Trying to quit then causes Premiere Pro to lock up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 05, 2012 Dec 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks everyone for your feedback. That is enough ro escalate the case for now. You can add more specifc case if you want, but the fix will need to be bigger than just addressing specific file settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 19, 2013 Feb 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am a relatively new PP user.  I just brought the editing staff in our company over to PP from FCP 7.  We are now editing all new shows in PP.  The redrawing is indeed an issue, especially since we tend to have 2000+ clips in our shows between video and audio components.  We shoot in XDCAM HD, 1440x1080, 35 mbs. Usually 2-3 camera shoots, 100-200 clips per disc per camera, 2 discs per camera per show.  It is a lot of material, but we found by putting 32 gigs of ram in each computer that we only wait about 1 minute for all the files to regenerate, or conform, or whatever they are doing.  Ram is pretty cheap now, and it never hurts to have more.  Might be a fix for some until Adobe can figure out how to just read the files that have been generated.  We are using 2011 8 core MacPro's with NVidia Quadro 4000 cards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 20, 2013 Nov 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm dealing with the same issue almost a year later on the latest CC 7.1 version of PP.

File format: Quicktime in MTS wrapper

Codec: AVCHD

Resolution & Interlace vs Progressive: 1920x1080 24p

video files were imported directly from original .mts files shot on a panasonic cam

I'm dealing with almost 3,000 clips for a documentary. So you can imagine this really slows down the process. After ingesting the footage I had to let it run over night to complete the conform process. When I came in the morning it was done but I needed to hand the project over to the client so I shutdown premiere and reopened the project just to find it start the conforming process all over again. This of course is not going to work unless I just tell my client to never shut premiere down during the life of the project. If by any chance someone has found a fix for this please let me know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First off, althought Premiere is designed to use all formats natively, AVCHD has caused us great consternation especially regarding caching.

It can be pretty nightmarish when your system starts re-caching things and filling up your HDD with the same damn files.

One question I would have is what are your XMP ID-related settings set to in "Preferences> Media"?

Does the footage live on a local drive, external drive or a shared drive? Is anyone else accessing the media simultaneously?

The worst case scenario seems to be AVCHD media on a shared drive that is accessed by more than one system with "Write XMP ID to files on Import" and "Enable Clip and XMP Metadata Linking" turned ON.

From what I could tell, the issue is that when multiple machines access the media, they are overwriting each other's XMP ID files/sidecar files and interfering with each other's Media Cache Database.

Essentially what happens (I THINK) is that the database continually loses the links between your cached files and the raw AVCHD media because tiny detials in the metadata are changing - this creates an endless cycle of re-caching because every time the system checks to make sure it has already cached something, the details in the database and what it sees don't jive - so it figures it needs to cache that. Repeat this for each of your 3000 clips and you'll be an alcoholic before Christmas.

One possible factor could also be the permissions set on your media. If you see an "XMP" file created ALONGSIDE your AVCHD raw media (drill down all the way in to where you see the actual .mts video files), then that means (based on what I've read) that the XMP ID data was not permitted to be written to the actual .MTS file and so it creates a "sidecar" file. These are supposed to work just fine, but I'm not too confident in that.

Anway - we were never able to really figure it out so we just decided to transcode all our AVCHD media (which is about 95% of what we shoot) to Pro Res (proxy) .

Even then I still have problems with re-caching sometimes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are not sharing drives. I have the entire project on my internal Raid and I duped the project to a USB3/Thunderbolt external drive that my client will be running on her Macbook Pro. So a mirror of the project. I opened the project on her laptop and expected the initial conform but not every time. So it's not a shared drive. Under preferences I currently setup the Media Cache files to be on the external drive instead of her system drive.  Same for the media cache database. Save media cache files next to originals is not checked.. should it be? Write XMP to files on import is not checked. Enable clip and XMP metadata linking is checked. So I do not see an xmp file next to the original mts files. Not sure if that's good or bad.

I will consider the prores conversion but right now that's why we went with PP in the first place so we could reach a tight deadline and skip the conversion step so I'd like to make this work if possible.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your settings look correct.  In my experience, the problem is worse if you check the save media cache files next to originals.

This is more an art than a science, it seems like sometimes you just have to wave a magic wand and say an incantation to make this problem go away.

How many years has this plagued PP users, and why won't Adobe address this?????????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 22, 2013 Nov 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apparently I must have waved your magic wand because it no longer does this when opening the project. Pretty random. But I'm happy that things are back to normal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 25, 2013 Nov 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...for now...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 10, 2013 Mar 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All

I am a new CS6 user (used older version until recently). The generating-peak-files-every time-you-open-a-new-project bug is a serious one for me.

Is this bug finally solved? In which version?

Specifics are: very simple files (SD, PAL 50fps). It strikes me that this bug has not been solved upon the first user complaint, because in CS3 or PPro 2.0 this has always worked fine.

Btw: we are working with W7. Is that perhaps a part of the problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 10, 2013 Mar 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(SD, PAL 50fps)

That's something of a contradiction.  SD had only one frame rate, 25i, or 25 interlaced frames per second.  50 fps didn't show up until the advent of HD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 12, 2013 Mar 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jim

You are right, it should be SD, PAL 25i. I am still wondering however if the Generating-Peak-Files-Every-Time-... bug has been solved by now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 12, 2013 Mar 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is that it doesn't happen for most people.  So it's hard to say if it's a bug or just a local issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 15, 2013 Mar 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a bug, but only for certain filetypes/settings. And no it's wasn't fixed as of 6.02... I can't comment on anything beyond that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 15, 2013 Mar 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

only for certain filetypes/settings.

Ahhhh...that explains much.  Hadn't thought about different media types being a factor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 30, 2013 Apr 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear jstrawn,

Could you please indicate for which settings and file types the bug does not appear? After two months of "getting-used-to", we are beginning to make some more complex shows now (with over 100 clips) and CS6 turns out to be completely unusable for us with DV-PAL.

Right now we are doing the simple stuff on our 16GB i7 PC with W7 and CS6 and the complex things on an old machine with WXP and PP2.0. An awkward situation, isn't it?

Would switching over to 720p50 be a solution? And which settings do you advise to prevent the "generating peak files..."-bug?

Thanks in advance for your reply

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 19, 2013 Jun 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get the bug with 720p video using a jpeg Linear PCM codec... but I know it's mot LIMITED to that only. Most filetypes/codecs I've tried don;t repro the ug, so odds are you'll be fine. But I would still recommend trying it out with a few test files of your chosen format. You'll know right away if your seeing the bug because it will generate new pek files each time you open the project. So if it doesn;t do it after New Project > Import > Insert to TL > Save > Exit > Re-open, then you're fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 27, 2013 Sep 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get the bug with .avi exported from GoPro Studio. (1080p30). Plus, the audio is not available. Furthermore, when I try to close the program, it will say that PP is still writing metadata...and this can be a few hours after the initial import (unusual behaviour).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 16, 2013 Jun 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

h.264 23.976 48000 24 1920x1080 in.mov wrapper

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 08, 2014 Nov 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey All !

I haven't seen anything on this thread for a LONG TIME.  I'm cutting on a loaded iMac and using Premeire CC.  From the time stamp of Nov 2014 and i'm running into this lame Generating Peak File issue.  Cutting Canon C500 and C300 footage so MXF media.  Every time I open up my project it needs to Generate Peak Files all over again.  Has anyone from ADOBE responded to this mess  ?

Thanks

Marshall

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines