• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cutting back and forth between two clips of the same scene?

Engaged ,
Jun 01, 2019 Jun 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have 2 clips that were shot with two different cameras of the same scene. I stacked the two clips on top of each other in the timeline, now I want to cut back and forth between the clips. What is the best way to cut back and forth this way?

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use something I'm using right this minute... Multi-Cam!

Create and edit a multi-camera sequence in Premiere Pro

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To complicate things, the two cameras are slightly out of synch by a few seconds based on the record button on one of the camera not being at the right time...I tried selecting both clips in the project panel and when I tried to merge the two, the option does not even display for merge clips, it is greyed out....

Based on the fact that I have some out of synch audio, what is the best approach before using multi-cam?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Multi-cam will sync your clips via the audio track, so when you look at the sequence it produces one will start before the other. Then you can click back and forth.

BTW: It's easy to get the clips in sync manually just shifting one left and right till the audio produces no echo. But that is done for you when you create the multi-cam sequence. Give it a try, you'll know in 1/2 hour if that's a good solution...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have two clips/camera angles

c0003.mp4 = this is the clip that had a late start with pressing record on the camera

c0064.mp4 = this is the clip has the complete audio

From the multi cam window I want to specify to use the footage/audio from c0064 to synch off, but in the audio section in sequence settings there is only an option for camera 1, which is camera 1? Am I misunderstanding this step?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I selected some options, now I get the multi-cam window with my two clips on the left and the composite on the right. I edit my clips into the timeline, though when I edit with one of the clips, the audio is out of synch. What can I do to fix the synch issue for the one clip that is out of synch, while keeping the other one in synch?

Thanks!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure where you got stuck?

In the project select the (2) clips you want, I believe it is the first one you select who's audio it will use.

right-click them and 'create multicam source sequence'

right-click the new sequence you just created and select 'New sequence from Clip'

It's THAT sequence you edit in the timeline using the multicam program monitor.

So, to be clear you do't edit clips into a timeline, you just playback the new sequence from clip' sequence and select the camera you want at an given point. You can also go back and adjust it, etc... You might want to just use the one audio track. Also, when it creates the initial multicam sequence PP will tell you if the clips can't be synced.

southwestform  wrote

I edit my clips into the timeline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is exactly what I did.

When I am playing back the video and cutting/selecting between the two different clips the audio is out of synch for one of the cameras...selecting from the two different clips to go into the new timeline/sequence works fine, its just that one of the cameras ends up being out of synch when I cut to those shots. My new sequence only has one audio track. I also did not receive any message about it not being able to be synched...

Thanks for any help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure then. If PP doesn't give you a warning the files are not synced then they should be / probably are?

If you want to put the clips on a google drive or such you can PM me the links and I'll give them a try.

You could also check out the video manually to make sure the clips are in sync the whole way.

BTW: If you are using VFR Variable Frame Rate video, PP sometimes has a problem with that. You might then want to transcode those clips using something like HandBrake into a constant frame rate clip for editing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If Multicam isn’t working out, you could go to the Sequence Settings and double the width of the Sequence (leave the height) and then align the clip in Video 1 to the left of the double wide frame and then the clip in Video 2 to the right of the double wide frame.  Then manually adjust for sync as you go.

When you’re done, set the Sequence Settings back to the original frame size.

-Warren

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 02, 2019 Jun 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MyerPj, thanks so much for your help and offer to look at my clips!!!!

I ended up creating a new project, re-importing the two clips, stacking them both on top of each other in the sequence and making the height of the audio channels taller and I was able to manually match them up!!!!!

1. How can I now take both of these clips that are now in synch in my Timeline and somehow enter into Multi-Cam mode so I can use that tool to cut back-and-forth?

2. I have all of my b-roll clips that I edited together in the previous file. What is the best way to combine the b-roll from the previous file with these two clips once they are edited together in multi-cam?

Thanks!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With both clips in synch in my Timeline:

1. I select both, right click and choose Nest

2. I right click on the new green nested sequence and choose Multi-cam > enable

Now I get audio in my Program but no video, just a black screen, I have Multi-cam setup under the gear icon, if I choose composite video under the gear icon it is also a blank/black screen

3. If I double click on the new nested sequence in the Project panel it loads it in the Sequence, but now it is back to where it was before with one clip stacked over the other. When I enable multi-cam in the program window it only shows one clip on the left and right. It does not show me both clips and the composite. If I click on comparison the clip on the right plays but the one of the left does not and there is still no composite.

What did I do incorrectly?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Southwest:

You're not following the correct steps to create a multi-camera source sequence.

I've pasted the note that I keep handy for when I need to remind myself of the correct steps.

Multi-camera editing workflow

1. Create a project

2. Import footage

3. Create a multi-camera source sequence

4. Create a multi-camera target sequence

5. Enable multi-camera editing in the Program Monitor

6. Enable recording of multi-camera edits

7. Edit the multi-camera sequence

8. Adjust and refine edits

9. Export the multi-camera sequence

Multi-camera editing workflow

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/create-multi-camera-source-sequence.html

-Warren

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My audio from the two clips was out of synch so I had to manually align them both in the Timeline. I am now trying to figure out how to get into multi-cam mode based on the two video/audio clips stacked above each other in my Timeline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this...

Create a new bin in your Project tab.

Select all of your clips in your Sequence where you manually adjusted for sync and then drag them to the bin.

Select of the resulting clips in the bin and then choose Create Multi-Camera Source Sequence.

As long as each clip uses it's own audio, this should work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wow.

I hate to butt in, but it might be wise to post a single frame ( screenshot ) of ONE frame from camera 1. And another frame from Camera 2.

This way people can see what kind of perspective you are dealing with for your so-called 2 clips.

I personally am totally curious what those 2 cameras SEE.   (are they side by side and one it tight and one is wide ? , is one on one side of axis and the other on the opposite side ? )  OR is this some skateboard competition where both cameras are shooting way beyond any continuity re: any AXIS. ?????  One screenshot from camera A and one screenshot from camera B, will give all the info.

With regard to the new B-Roll stuff, I doubt if anyone needs to see that to figure out what you're trying to do.

Do you know how to post a screenshot ???  Please do this so people can figure out what you are trying to accomplish. It has NOTHING to do with your sound sync at this point. People will be able to figure out the best way to help if you just post those two frames...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Warren, this is a swamp with quicksand. Nobody knows if there was a separate recording device from the cameras. Probably not, cause if they were slated or jammed with time code we wouldn't be here.

Nobody knows what sound is acceptable in terms of clarity ( whether in sync or not ) for the footage from both cameras.

Nothing here is making a whole lot of sense yet.. so let's start from the beginning. Using multi cam is a nice shortcut to cut from one or two or three (etc.) cameras, if the sound is sync'd to ALL OF THEM from the get go ( common slate and timecode ).

This is a total mess so far here... and it might be best if the poster simply does everything manually... stacking video and dragging cuts (copy paste) DOWN to vid 1 ….from upper levels ( with A, B, B-Roll, etc. ).

I admit my mind is sorta boggled... and you know more than me about the magical stuff that CC can do... so it's just my 2 cents...and the hope that poster gets a nice edit !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what really threw me for a loop was the ' one camera is in sync but the other one isn't cause the start button was pushed late', and then the new one... 'both cameras were out of sync so I had to adjust them on the timeline'...

???? and there's B roll now...

????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Southwest:

Try this:

Stack both clips in a new Sequence.

Select both, right click and then choose Synchronize.

In the Synchronize Clips dialog box, check Audio then click OK.

This is probably all that was needed from the start.

-Warren

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines