Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Different colors in my exported video.

New Here ,
Jul 02, 2024 Jul 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hiyaaa,
So I'm kinda dumb and at this point I think I might become color blind cuz, oh boy, can't find the solution to my problem. I know this problem isn't something to be surprised, I used QT Gamma Compensation LUT before and worked perfectly but this time is different, my exported video looks warmer and maybe greenish no matter what.
I learned to use PremierePro by watching videos so I'm not sure if there is information that I'm not applying correctly :(((

Quick note: I have footage from different cameras, already changed them all to Rec. 709 and already turn off auto tone map. 

HELP, I'm losing my mind

Help :c

TOPICS
Editing , Error or problem , Export , FAQ

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 03, 2024 Jul 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I doubt your color management is setup nearly correctly for an efficient path to what you want to get to.

That is ALL in the Lumetri panel's Settings tab ... the one NAMED Settings.

So ... for nearly all workflows, auto detect log AND auto tonemapping should both be on. They are interactive, and with the two set together like this an iPhone or other HLG clip can be used, in the same project, on separate sequences with different sequence CM and will work correctly.

In other words, you can use the same clip on both SDR/Rec.709 and HDR/HLG sequences without problems.

Second, that normalizes most log-encoded clips to Rec.709 or HLG/PQ sequences without need nor use of any LUT. That process in Premiere is the vastly (mathematically) superior algorithmic process, much safer to your pixels than about any LUT based process.

Now ... as to that silly 'gamma compensation LUT' ... do not use that old thing. Period. Ever.

Use the proper tools ... if you are on a Mac without Reference modes for your screen, and neither know nor care about how the rest of the world sees your image, use the Viewing Gamma option set to 1.96/QuickTime.

Then Premiere will set the Program monitor to match your Mac's improper display transform, so that for you on your system, and other Macs without Reference modes, the image will look mostly similar to what you see in Premiere. That may be all you care about.

And then use an export preset built for the sequence color space. All HLG or PQ sequences must use a preset with their sequence color space in the preset name. ALL SDR/Rec.709 sequences must use presets without a color space in the preset name.

The deeper issue is Apple's poorly chosen, non-standard display transform that even Apple only uses on their lower-end computers that do not have Reference modes for the monitors. Those Macs with reference modes, set to HDTV, will get the proper gamma 2.4 display transform ... as do all other systems.

So it's sadly a Pick Your Poison! thing ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot for the information. You were rigth, my color managment was a capital sin. 
I assume I succeeded setting everything up again, my exported video looks exactly like in my timeline :)... but now I uploaded it to YouTube and once again, my color grading abandoned me. Can you tell me wich sequence/export settings are the correct ones for Youtube. I have media from 3 differents dslr and 2 IPhones (14 and Xpro)
Sorry if I sound way to ignorant, like I said before my learning technique was clearly not the best and now I'm realizing there's a lot of information that I'm missing. I'll be more awere on the future. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

YouTube ... oh freaking joy. How they love to mangle our beautiful pixels ... seriously.

First, wait 24 hours before judging what they've done. ALL video uploads are re-compressed by them, for streaming display, and the first "show" of the image is not what it's gonna be like when their process completes, and that can take several hours to a day.

Second ... how fast is your upload speed? A number of people have found they can upload a ProResLt or similar, and get (most of the time) better imaging quality than for a mid-quality H.264/mp4 file. So codec choice can be important.

Finally, understand something pro colorists learn right off the bat: after it gets published, anywhere, on any service ... no one will ever see exactly what you saw on your screen. Period. Not happenin'.

You can't even take two identical, heavily calibrated screens, fed from the same BlackMagic output box,  and get total exact sameness to the image. It's been demonstrated over and over.

Even on the same screen, say a tablet on a park bench at noon in the sun, and that night in a dark bedroom, the image will differ due to the surroundings. So you setup your system and environment, so that you see as close to "neutral standard" as possible, grade your media, and let it go ... Out In The Wild.

No one out there knows the least thing about what you intended. And if your system is decently close to the standard that is used say in broadcast, then ... on all screens out there, your media will look ... in relative terms! ... just like other professionally produced media on that screen.

But never what it looked like on your screen.

Most Mac users don't have a clue that all the pro media they watch, was graded with a Rec.709 setup monitoring setup in a semi-darkened room, using a display gamma function approximating gamma 2.4. AND ... that their Mac Retina displays that media using gamma 1.96 instead.

But that is what it does. All non-Macs, and even Macs with Reference modes set to HDTV, will see the image from a screen that uses approximately gamma 2.4 for SDR/Rec.709 video. Yes, "the web is gamma 2.2" ... for still images. VLC and Potplayer tend to use gamma 2.4 whether on Macs or PCs, and where the video comes from doesn't matter. SDR/Rec.709? They use the display transform listed as the standard for SDR/Rec.709.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines