• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Discuss the Premiere Pro 22.3 UI changes: Import, Export, and Header Bar

Explorer ,
Apr 13, 2022 Apr 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm struggling too, this UI update seems a step backwards requiring more clicks etc to do the same tasks... I also can't find options to do layouts that worked very well for certain tasks. Whats happened to the caption layout for instance?

If I wanted a Premiere rush like inetrface i'd use rush... This is professional workstation software why are you dumbing it down... Shades of Final cut 10...

TOPICS
User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , May 09, 2022 May 09, 2022

Hi Community,

Thank you for the comments, but the Premiere Pro team does not generally read feedback on these user-to-user forums (Discussions).

Regarding Export Mode: Please provide feedback to the Premiere Pro Team on this thread on the Ideas forum.

For the Header Bar: provide feedback here.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 518 Replies 518
Community Expert ,
Apr 21, 2022 Apr 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But it is STILL that "app" doing the work. For all Pr and Ae encodes. As always.

By @R Neil Haugen

That´s an incorrect statement.

AME do not and has never handled the direct exports from either Premiere Pro or from After Effects Render Queue. AME is a separate app.

For example, you can export directly from Premiere Pro to any format without even having AME installed on your system. AME is not the app that automagically in the background do the encodes when doing direct export from Premiere Pro. AME is installed automatically when you install Premiere Pro, but it is not necessary to have it installed if direct export is the only export you do, for any export.

Try it, uninstall AME and try to do a direct export from Premiere Pro. Or, keep AME installed and do a direct export and see if you can find any activity in the Task Manager from AME. With Task Manager it´s easy to see.

So yes, AME is another app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes ,,, and no. Been through this in detail with the engineers. Much of ME's code is embedded in Pr & Ae. So you don't have to fully open all of it into RAM/cache for "simple" renders.

But it's Me's code doing all the work, whether you invoke the "separate" app or not. They certainly don't see it as a separate thing.  ALL encoding is handled by Me's code. I'll go with the engineers on this one.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 20, 2022 Apr 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your replies, but you haven't answered my question directly, so I guess the header is non-removable..

I don't like this at all, Adobe please just give us the choice to remove it if we don't want it, I can't understand this decision.

Maybe they did it to force you to use workspaces more, maybe to promote the Frame.io cooperation, I don't know, but from a user standpoint this doesn't make absolutely any sense. If you could add the option to remove it in a later update that would be great.

Also, on another note, I've added a thread before about this, can you please add an option to delete everything in the "deleted" folder on the Cloud files? I edit a lot and recently I had to give up an entire afternoon to delete a lot of files in that folder a few at a time.. Again from a user standpoint it's ridiculous, it's like Windows decided to remove the option "empty recycle bin" and you had to select a few files at a time to delete in order to empty it. 

I love Adobe, but sometimes they do this little weird things that make me wonder if they have used their product themselves 🤔

Thanks! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Regardless of how you feel about the header bar, there should be a simple options to hide it, or dock it like every other panel. The option to customize is always better, always. 

I've actually started creating a third premiere window with an extra timeline I'm not using, making that my main premiere window so that the header bar is attached to that, and then scaling it down to a tiny sliver off to the side of my screen, so that the header bar dissapears. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 25, 2022 Apr 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But it is essential to be able to remove the header bar! It really takes up space. I do not need it.
I use keyboard shortcuts. Menu, etc. Every place for a new line is good!
So how do I remove the header bar? Please.
Greetings Noc ..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 14, 2022 Apr 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I often have to replace existing files with new versions and the "location" search/option does not show me the files that are already there so it's a question of going exploring to find them, rather than just 2 clicks.

Can this be fixed, please?

Also, can I turn off effects and Meta by default?

ALSO, does it HAVE to be full-screen? I often like to see what the project window has in it to remind me what I need to call this export but, with this display, I can't. I can't even drag the window to a new location in the workspace again it's a faff that I really don't need.

Really rather unhappy with this.

Anyone else?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you send your files to AME you can use the old fashioned export settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Often, I simply want to export from Ppro, without opening another app. When the files are short, it seems silly to have go through all that, when I used to simply click on "Export" and wait 60 seconds.

This layout is a pain in the thingy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I second this. The new interface style is very annoying & adds frustrating steps to my workflow.

Can we please get a "Legacy" option? For "New Project" as well? Why make me use an Adobe file navigator when I just want an empty project?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, can I turn off effects and Meta by default?

For what it's worth: even if Effects is toggled on, as long as no effects are enabled, then the end result is the same. It's no different than navigating to the Effects tab in the old setup and having no boxes checked.

Also as far as Metadata goes, it's actually a bit quicker to check on Metadata settings now, because previously you had to open the Metadata window via a button. You can still get to that window if you need it, but turning Metadata off is actually a bit quicker now since you don't need to open a new window.

If you're trying to look for the name of your sequence, that should be shown to you in the top left corner of the module.

Personally I like the new workspace, but as Ann says you can send your sequences to AME and have the legacy Export Settings window there. I do get that for some folks, seperating file name and file destination might be annoying. I do think it's a bit of a necessary evil Adobe needed to do though if they were to allow saving export settings and destinations on the left bar (because I imagine the destination might need to be isolated from the filename in order to do this)

Obviously do what works best for you, but if you tend to make generational versions of videos, you might want to consider NOT overriding originals (you never know when you may need to refer back to an older version), so a practice like: SequenceName_V3 could help you maintain generations of exports without the need to worry what they were called and finding the previous file. Just food for thought.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a television broadcaster and production house we use Premiere and Media encoder for multiple exports each day and this new interface is a big step backward. There is no reason for not being able to not be able to see what files are in a folder when selecting the export location!!! and also not being able to click on previous exported files in the export folder to populate the file name so you than use the same name or modify it to a new name (we use quite long naming conventions) it just plain dumb, we now have to use explorer to find out the file names and copy and paste that into premiere which is a lot of unnecessary steps.

Also the preset layout now makes no sense, you use to select your codec and then you could select a preset linked to only to that codec but now it just has "favourites" and when you select "more presets" it shows all the presets not just the ones for the codec you have selected??? Yes we can do all this in media encoder (untill they dumb that down too) but we are use to naming it in premiere export and sometimes we just want to export straight from premiere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At first, I found the new Presets option a pain. But then I realized you can actually clean up the Presets option quickly to only show the presets you actually use.

Go to more presets, select the System tab, and unstar everything you never use. Now those will not appear in the Presets dropdown.

At that point, the presets dropdown is quicker for me to use than the old one. I just click the dropdown, and the presets I use are the only ones that appear. No second click to another menu needed.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@BigglesKDH 

While it may not be fully sufficient, are you typically able to export settings by using your Export Presets as they are (without further modification?)

If so, you can use the Quick Export button in the top right of Premiere, which does still maintain the combined File Name + Location picker, and will let you see your existing files.

If you need to make further settings modifications on a per-video basis, well, at least it would let you fetch and copy the filename there and save you from having to open up a new Finder/Explorer window.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First time I've ever written something on an adobe forum. I've been an editor for 15 years. I have a problem with the export interface when it comes to naming new export files. 

I agree this guy's comment.... "There is no reason for not being able to not be able to see what files are in a folder when selecting the export location!!! and also not being able to click on previous exported files in the export folder to populate the file name so you than use the same name or modify it to a new name (we use quite long naming conventions)"

This update sucks when it comes to quickly naming new versions with long titles... My exports are often titled "Video X #3 V1 Unlimited Not Color Corrected Pre AE V5" ...or something like that.... the old export interface was better, where the last file name populates and you can just click on it and change what you need to change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Totally agreed.

So for that capability at this time, queue the export to MediaEncoder.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ah.photo,

I see where you're coming from and I appreciate you replying ... but (there's always a "but" 😉

Do you KNOW that those are the reasons for the changes to file name/file destination? The language you're using implies that you are speculating, which is not really very helpful.

Also, it's not the name of the current project I need, it's the names of previous projects in the destination folder and, occasionally, specific elements within the project that I need for my, admittedly long, naming conventions.

And finally, as a general guideline:

"... you might want to consider NOT overriding originals ... Just food for thought." please don't query other people's work-practices like that. I started on CS3 so I've been doing this stuff a while... but what I often need is to modify previous file names 😉 (And I think you mean "over-writing", not "over riding").

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Kusumas 

I'm definitely just speculating as to why, definitely not a "know for sure".

I meant no disrespect with the workflow suggestion, was just meant as food for thought (and obviously you have already done the thinking! So that's that!) I apologize if my suggestion came off as disrespectful, and I will try to keep that in mind for my future interactions.

I hope Adobe is able to accomodate in future updates! I can see the benefit in being able to view the files that reside in the directory you select, and I'd welcome it myself too if Adobe can bring that back into the new setup.

EDIT:  One more thing I'll add, that may not be of huge help, but might at least avoid needing to open Explorer/Finder, is the Quick Export option in Premiere does in fact use the combined File Name + Location prompt. You could click on that, and at least find your target folder and fetch a filename from there.

Regrettably, it does forget that info when you click away from the Quick Export window if you need to modify more encoding settngs, but you might be able to at least copy and paste the file name you want into the full Export Settings window. If you using your export preset "as is" then you may at least have a sufficient workaround there.

And if anything, maybe it's a positive sign that the combined file name + location prompt can still exist for future updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"and also not being able to click on previous exported files in the export folder to populate the file name so you than use the same name or modify it to a new name (we use quite long naming conventions) it just plain dumb, we now have to use explorer to find out the file names and copy and paste that into premiere which is a lot of unnecessary steps."

Yes, this is also a major, major problem for me! Suprised this didn't come up while they were workshopping this....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has been discussed for several months on the public beta forum. If you checked in over there at times, you'd have the option to make comments during development phases and in the place where the engineers actually monitor comments.

I do urge everyone to monitor the public beta forums and make comments when you see things in development that you don't care for, specifiying what & why.

I totally agree the lack of seeing the filenames is a major boo. And will be complaining about that in person at NAB in three days. As will others I'm sure.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 26, 2022 Apr 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to disagree here:
I also have a hard time with the new way of creating projects. I would even like to say that I am very annoyed by it. Especially since this procedure does not work reliably on my editing computer (I had to restart Premiere several times to get the "Create Project" button to light up blue again).

I don't see it as my job to participate in beta programs as a paying customer.
At least I wouldn't be accused of not taking the time to be a beta tester and help Adobe with development - as I said, as a paying customer.
Rather, I see it as the manufacturer's job to inform me about the new features. - I haven't found a tutorial yet!

I don't know anything about programming, but I think it wouldn't be too much to ask for the possibility to return to the old method in the program settings.

It's bad enough that you have to hope from update to update that the version runs stable enough that you can reliably work with it for longer than 15 minutes before the program crashes.

And yes, I know I have the option of using the old version. But is that solution for the future?

I think it's great that Adobe is trying to develop the program and add new features. But Adobe should not lose sight of the users who really just want to do their job and who are not really interested in all these "bling bling" features. The only thing I hope for from updates is that it runs more stable than the previous one and that the bugs of the previous version are fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new project creation dialog need not take one more click or second of your time than the old dialog.

It still has Name & Location you need to set, exactly as before. Then click create project (making sure nothing is selected) and your project opens.

Import assets by Project panel or MediaBrowser as before. No more time, no more clicks, identical steps.

What changed? The other options. Why?

Maybe 1% of users actually set the options for cache, preview and such locations.

Did you? I never did. I have my set process, I set those once years ago and never even looked at them.

They already have several times the number of users that are actually using that page and liking it over the users that ever used the old options.

So there's nothing there whatsoever to make a change in your steps. But many other users like it. Are you saying adding a far more used dialog (compared to the old) is a bad thing?

I figured out how to use the new page to best advantage, but doubt I will *ever* start a project importing from that page.

I skip those and use the Project and MediaBrowser panels as before.

No more times, not one click more.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I 100% agree that not being able to see the files in your destination folder from the "location" link in the new export window is inconvenient.  I really hope it's just an oversite that will be fixed in short order.

In the meantime, from my ready-to-export timeline I'm going to press Ctrl-M, then immediately click "send to media encoder".  From there we have the functionality we require in terms of viewing other files in the destination folder, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed - this update was not useful at all

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Totally agree that this new Export window is annoying, and the New Project window is even worse. In particular we've lost the ability (on Mac at least) to easily make generational filenames by clicking on an old filename and then editing it in the Location dialog -- now I have to look at what the previous file was called, remember that, and type it all out, changing just the date or version number. Boring problem, obviously, but I'll probably be using Media Encoder even more now for the old export window.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For that (missing filename) export issue, the devs here at NAB say that was an oversight, their bad (and apologies) ... and that will be changed in probably the next update. They rushed out 22.3.1 to get that weird 34-minute bug.

It sounds like they've got several other things they're trying to get ready to push out. But as usual, we'll see what they are when it ships.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines