• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

docking a floating panel

Contributor ,
Jun 22, 2013 Jun 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've looked through the adobe help/web search and I can't for the life of me figure out how to dock a floating panel in premiere pro 6.0.

TOPICS
How to , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

People's Champ , Jun 22, 2013 Jun 22, 2013

The instructions are pretty clear in the help,

but here's a video tutorial:

Custom Workspaces in Premiere Pro

http://library.creativecow.net/devis_andrew/Creating-Custom-Workspaces/1

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Dec 03, 2015 Dec 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh thank you!  Didn't know you had to hold that part of the window!  Blood pressure is down now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 20, 2016 May 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU! Why do they set it up like this? Drove me crazy!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 16, 2016 Aug 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was the first useful post for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 07, 2016 Sep 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU. If I'd have wasted time watching a video or reading an irs-like instruction pamphlet about how to do this with screenshots & features I don't have, and still not been able to figure it out, I'd have thrown something.

There's nothing to distinguish that area of the window from the rest of it. No border, no nothing ... nothing when you hover over it that makes you think it's the specific place you can grab. OH WAIT! NOW I SEE IT: THERE IS!! I guess I'm super impatient and just flinging my cursor around, and/or moving the window around the usual way and wondering why the panel is not accepting it into its fold when I try to thrust it there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 22, 2016 Sep 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for the explanation. Honestly, this area of the window was so unintuitive I would never have figured that out. Using Windows 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 04, 2016 Nov 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In case anyone reading this just wants a quick answer"

Ahhh thank you! I just opened up Premiere Pro CC 2017, undocked a panel and couldn't put the damn thing back!

It's certainly not intuitive to grab that part of the window.

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 03, 2017 Nov 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG, thank you for a straight simple answer!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2018 Jan 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2018 Oct 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the easy answer.

So much nicer than the 'ermagerd it's already in this forum ya n00b'

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 30, 2019 Jul 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 11, 2020 Apr 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! I was doing the same as you were. It amazes me how many stupid little glitches like this Adobe is able to squeeze into this program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 11, 2020 Apr 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe's documentation on many things ... is pretty minimalist to non-existant. But for this part of the user interface, they actually cover it pretty completely in the Help and tutorials on their site.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 07, 2020 May 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While I can believe that they do cover it somewhere, in a lot of their "documentation" it isn't mentioned. They just say :

"You can dock panels together, move them into or out of groups, and undock them so they float above the application window. As you drag a panel, drop zones—areas onto which you can move the panel—become highlighted. The drop zone you choose determines where the panel is inserted, and whether it docks or groups with other panels."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 08, 2020 May 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I mentioned above, not all their help stuff is laid out well, nor is it all necessarily in one "place" to find.

That said, the Premiere Pro Reference pdf file has several pages with illustrations on workspaces and moving panels around.

https://helpx.adobe.com/pdf/premiere_pro_reference.pdf

They also have a few tutorials where they demonstrate moving panels around. Between the pdf and the video tutorials, it's possible to get enough info to play around with them and see how they work. Once you get the basics, you can move things around easily.

Neil

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 24, 2020 Aug 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jason. Still very helpful. Still hard to find.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 09, 2021 Feb 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

omg - so key - thx for weighing in

i spent half an hr trying to figure out how to dock my source monitor!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 18, 2021 Oct 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not able to move any of my undocked workspaces by other than the top edge (and I get no reaction when moving them around)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 16, 2022 Jan 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dragging the undocked window in the upper dark frame worked re-docked the window, but when it did it then knocked out my source window!  I can't seem to get both program and source windows side by side again.  Then when I attempt to open Lumetri Color or Effects in the far right panel, the program monitor automatically undocks again and shows up on my second monitor!!  Once again, the only way I could get back to my original workspace is to go continually go back to Reset Workspace.  Adobe needs to work on this, it's very frustrating!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 17, 2022 Jan 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to have the Source and Program monitors in different panel groups.

As only one panel is normally open in any group at one time.

So the Source monitor is in a group typically on the upper left quadrant, the Program monitor in a panel group on the upper right quadrant, then both can be visible at once.

It takes a bit of practice, but what needs to happen is you sitting down and working with them a bit and the instructions in the help to sort out how they work. Because in general, they do work.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 14, 2023 Mar 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THIS is the answer I was looking for. I couldn't for the life of me get the Timecode panel to dock as it doesn't have the 3 bars that everyone else was recommending. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 24, 2023 May 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hey guys, thanks for your responses.  I left my reply on June 16 of last year and it's now May 24 of 2023, and once again I've received no notifications whatsoever from Adobe that I received any replies to my initial posting.  At this point I've given up on Adobe ever fixing their notification issue, despite continually changing my settings.  This is apparently not an issue Adobe finds important enough to remedy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 20, 2016 May 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was getting super confused as well. the newest version doesn't have the hashmarks as described in this video. if you just simply drag the window by clicking on the top of the box but on the dark part not the white part it will work. not very intuitive or thought out well...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 25, 2018 Sep 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to set it up so that you can use Windows docking?  That is "Win-Left", "Win-Right" etc.?  Once something is out of Premiere, feels really painful to organize the workspace.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 21, 2019 Mar 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, very helpful tips. Now, how do you 'RE-DOCK' a floating group-of-panels? (without dragging tabs individually) 🙂  Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 26, 2020 May 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There was no response to the last post, yet I am going to give this thread one more try. I'm using a Mac Powerbook. The window I get looks much different from the one in the images in this thread. Here is a snap of the floating palette I'm trying to dock.

Screen Shot 2020-05-26 at 4.54.50 PM.png

If I grab it by the bar at the top, I can move it around, but I can't activate any zones. If I grab it anywhere else, I can't move it at all. Any help would be appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines