• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

docking a floating panel

Participant ,
Jun 22, 2013 Jun 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've looked through the adobe help/web search and I can't for the life of me figure out how to dock a floating panel in premiere pro 6.0.

TOPICS
How to , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

People's Champ , Jun 22, 2013 Jun 22, 2013

The instructions are pretty clear in the help,

but here's a video tutorial:

Custom Workspaces in Premiere Pro

http://library.creativecow.net/devis_andrew/Creating-Custom-Workspaces/1

Votes

Translate

Translate
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Joe,

Yes, I actually went through this and kind can't find the answer.  I understand how to do it moving a docked panel where it gives me the drop zones but once it's already a floating panel I can't seem to reactivate drop zones.  When I close the window and reopen it from the "window" tab at the top it becomes floating again.

I read through that article twice.  I'm not seeing it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try doing this. From the Premiere Pro menu choose Window > Workspace> Reset Workspace

Peter Garaway

Adobe

Premiere Pro

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 31, 2020 Mar 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But what if I want to undock a panel and choose a different location to redock the panel? There is simply no way to do this at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The instructions are pretty clear in the help,

but here's a video tutorial:

Custom Workspaces in Premiere Pro

http://library.creativecow.net/devis_andrew/Creating-Custom-Workspaces/1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks guys.  Holding the "Hash" part of the window making it become dockable again.  Sorry I couldn't find this in the article!  Thx for the video joe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad you worked it out.

If something in the online help seems lacking or confusing,

you are welcome (and encouraged) to add comments

by clicking "Discuss This Page" at the bottom of each page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 14, 2018 Apr 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for that video link.

Solution: To put floating window back to become docked, you grab the window title part and move it. The drop zones appear below.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 31, 2020 Mar 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is just not true at all on my mac... Honestly I am ready to jump to Final Cut... This is stupid. How about a option that just says REDOCK where it used to say UNDOCK!???

[abuse removed by moderator]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 08, 2022 Jul 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Vegas on Mac would be a dream. All of these stupid little intricate methods for doing the simplest of tasks keep me from going all Mac. I had forgotten how bad Premiere is at doing the basics. ALL of the basics. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 07, 2021 May 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It still works, 3 years later. Thanks, Shannon!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 24, 2021 Jun 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds very useful but it appears the content no longer exists unfortunately

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 24, 2021 Jun 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not obvious, but it's pretty easy thankfully.

Click the 3-bar menu of the floating panel, and drag it to the panel you want to dock it in. You get the various blue blocks from the sides, top/bottom or middle, which tell you where it's going to go if you let up.

If a side/top/bottom is blue, it will go to that side as a separate panel. If the middle is blue, it will be in that panel as a separate tab.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 20, 2021 Sep 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clicking the 3 bar menu just opened the menu for me, and dragging it didn't get the hot spots to display--what worked for me was clicking on the name of the clip and dragging it. The hot spots then showed up, and I was able to redock. Agree with others in the thread, this was not intuitive, and is only "easy" after you stumble upon the solution. In no other software does redocking work like this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 18, 2021 Oct 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same as above, but does not respond to clicking on name. Can only move by clicking on top bar.  All other pannels triger the correct reaction when I move them around.  For some reason my Reference window does not want to dock. 

Searching for a Solution...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 18, 2021 Oct 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

after a few resets to saved layout, and opening the panel I was mising from my saved workstation (the reference panel) several times (it always openes up as floating/undocked), for some reason it is acting like it's supposed to!   ...don't know why, but at least it's working now 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 16, 2022 Jan 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on a Windows 11 pc, and this DOES NOT WORK.  If  I undock my program monitor no matter what I do I can't get it docked again.  Clicking on the 3-bar menu does not allow me to drag the window back, it just opens the menu with 6 options, none of which will re-dock it back to the original workspace.  The only way I can re-dock the program window is to go back to Reset Workspace over again.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 17, 2015 Aug 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In case anyone reading this just wants a quick answer, you can dock an undocked window by dragging the dark part at the top of the window to the location you'd like it docked.

I was trying to grab the top of the window itself, as one might do to manipulate other windows in windows explorer.

adobe window.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 10, 2015 Sep 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank-you, I've been looking for that

Possibly not the most greatest example of intuitive UI design

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 11, 2015 Sep 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is the best answer yet!!! I have no dashes on my upper part... thank you for this answer Jason K ... simple and to the point... perfect..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 04, 2018 Apr 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, very helpful. None of this "It's very clearly stated in the help…" BS - including a link that no longer exists.

Many thanks!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 22, 2015 Oct 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perfect answer Jason (at least it is for Premiere Pro CC 2015).  I went through a lot of tutorials and frustration trying to figure this out (including the entire Lynda Website). I finally stumbled on it by chance. In the past what I had been doing was resetting work spaces but that was the long way around.  Hopefully your answer will save a lot of heartache.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2015 Oct 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 30, 2015 Oct 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

panel.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines