• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Does exporting a video twice from the same exact project/timeline cause quality loss?

Community Beginner ,
Feb 20, 2022 Feb 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. I have just exported a video from Premiere Pro that took me several weeks to make, and I noticed that a few areas exported a bit weirdly so I'd like to go back into my project/timeline, change those particular clips, and export the entire video again.

I normally export my videos at High Quality 2160p 4k, with a target bitrate of 120. I also normally export straight from Premiere Pro, rather than adding to the Media Encoder queue.

(NOTE: I am not putting my exported video into a new timeline to re-export. I am going back to my original project/timeline with all of the original clips and effects so that I can edit those particular clips that I need. I then plan to render it again from Premiere Pro.)

Thank you in advance for your assistance!

TOPICS
Editing , Export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 20, 2022 Feb 20, 2022

@Celestia B. wrote:

I'd like to go back into my project/timeline, change those particular clips, and export the entire video again.

Exporting the same timeline as described doesn't decrease quality.

@Celestia B. wrote:

(NOTE: I am not putting my exported video into a new timeline to re-export....)

If you did as described above in parentheses, then it would affect quality.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Celestia B. wrote:

I'd like to go back into my project/timeline, change those particular clips, and export the entire video again.

Exporting the same timeline as described doesn't decrease quality.

@Celestia B. wrote:

(NOTE: I am not putting my exported video into a new timeline to re-export....)

If you did as described above in parentheses, then it would affect quality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! Sorry, I know this must have seemed like a noob question, but you'd be surprised how I can't find any answers for this anywhere and I just wanted to make sure! Really, thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There's a lot of things that don't seem obvious to someone new to these complex apps. Like ... "importing" doesn't  actually move or copy media to a new location, it simply means that Premiere is importing the metadata for the file/s into its database for that project. The files are still referenced from wherever on storage you already have them.

And even if they look similar, the color/tonal controls for an NLE ... an editing app ... work very differently from a stills/photo app. Still apps work with one image at a time. NLEs work with thousands at a whack. Think ... 24fps timeline, 30 minutes long ... 24 x 60 x 30 ... that's 43,200 frames it has to plan out, all with various effects applied.

Even a five minute 24fps timeline has 7,200 frames!

There's a lot of things like that that can surprise people at first.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PeruBob's correct.

So ... go to the original project sequence. Make the changes to correct things in that sequence. Then export from that, as many times in as many formats as you need.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you both so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines