• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Dual Monitor in Premiere Pro CC

Community Beginner ,
Jun 19, 2013 Jun 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just upgraded yesterday like thousands of others.  Didn't have any issues whatsoever.  Opened Premiere again this morning and the dual monitor support is gone.  I go to Preferences -> Playback and the box is still checked from yesterday.  I unchecked it, saved, restarted the computer, relaunched, re-enabled it and still the second monitor only shows my desktop.  Fired up After Effects and dual monitor support still works just fine.  My coworker hasn't had the same problem.  I'm on a 2012 iMac with 20 gigs of Ram, using a DVI to Thunderbolt adaptor for the second monitor.  Again, second monitor works fine for everything but Premiere and it was working yesterday.  Any ideas?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jun 19, 2013 Jun 19, 2013

Thank you for the quick reply.  I came back to post that we had solved it when I saw your post.  In my case, the issue was that Premiere was "overhanging" just a pixel or two onto my second monitor which was preventing it from using it as a second display.  Not sure how that happened, but thought I'd share in case someone else has the same issue.  I will keep your tip in mind too for the future. 

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris,

New in CC we added a setting in the Program Monitor panel menu to Enable and Disable Transmit (you can also assgin a keyboard shortcut). One thought is you may have disabled Transmit without knowing it.

Try these two steps to verify Transmit is enabled:

1. Go to the Program Monitor panel menu> Verify 'Enable Transmit' has a checkmark.

2. Go to Preferences> Playback> Verify the your 2nd monitor is present and checked (sounds like you already did this).

Let me know if that resolves or does not resolve your problem.

Peter Garaway

Adobe

Premiere Pro 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the quick reply.  I came back to post that we had solved it when I saw your post.  In my case, the issue was that Premiere was "overhanging" just a pixel or two onto my second monitor which was preventing it from using it as a second display.  Not sure how that happened, but thought I'd share in case someone else has the same issue.  I will keep your tip in mind too for the future. 

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 09, 2014 Dec 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad I found your post after restarting about 10 times. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 21, 2015 Oct 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Saved me from busting a temple vein.  I was apparently .667 pixels spilling onto my 2nd monitor, and that was enough to be a deal breaker.  Much relief and thanks, Chris.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2015 Nov 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I´m currently busting my veins, SF Bay Video Creative. Maybe you can help me solve my issue? I have a Macbook 15inch Retina screen and a Benq secondary monitor. After I installed the new OS for mac El Capitan my screens started spilling into each other and I have no idea how to fix this. This makes it, like for the others, impossible to work with a full screen secondary monitor in several programs. Even when I toggle fullscreen on a web browser the other screen goes black.
help2.jpg
Here you can se how much it spills into each other - how do I separate them???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 22, 2016 Aug 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just want to add that this was exactly the solution to my issue today, glad I found your post so quick! Work finally bought me a second monitor and I couldn't get it to display properly. Sure enough, dragging the Premiere window over from the edge and the video popped right up on my second display.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 23, 2019 Sep 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for this... It works perfectly

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 04, 2020 Mar 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! Same thing happening to me in 2020. Premiere on my right monitor was over by just a couple pixels. This was driving me crazy. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 23, 2014 Apr 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also note that your main Premiere app window (the one that has the menu bar "File, Edit, Clip, etc") can't be on the 2nd monitor.  As Chris said below, if even a pixel of that window is touching the 2nd monitor, enable transmit won't go fullscreen.  This confused me for a while until I realized I needed to redo my window arrangement and swap all my premeire tools and windows between the main app window and the secondary app window.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 19, 2014 Jun 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks man

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 26, 2016 Sep 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this problem 3 years later and I can't seem to make premiere stop putting a small line of pixels onto my second monitor. I've tried messing with a lot of different setting and haven't found a solution. If you look to left of my cursor in the picture below you will see what I'm talking about. If anyone has any idea how to fix this, I'd be really happy. I also made a more detailed post about this issue if you need more information about my setup.

2nd Monitor Will Not Not Display Fullscreen for Playback and I Need Help

Overlapping Pixels.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 13, 2016 Jun 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, can you help with some tech knowledge with a dual monitor situation I'm facing please?

I’ve started to encounter a glitch of some kind that happens every single time I execute a certain order of steps.

I’ve got my comp connected to a 24″ external LG monitor via HDMI. After launching premiere, I undock some panels and move them over to the external monitor. I begin importing and editing as normal, but the moment I select ‘color’ or ‘assembly’ etc. Premiere locks up. At this point, the glitch has 3 distinct properties aside from freezing.

1) double clicking a clip in a bin for example does nothing. ‘Source’ window is completely grayed out.

2) When I expand or contract the timeline vertically, the entire layout freezes into a “cascade of windows” effect. Kind of like a deck of cards splattered across a table.

3) after force quitting premiere, I am unable to launch. I have to open a task manager to discover that it has dropped itself into ‘background processes’ for some reason.

Despite the freeze, I can still move the playhead, and I can even hear the audio. I’ve repeated this process numerous times to confirm that it isn’t a random occurrence.

Computer restart, no effect. I have deleted media cache, no effect. Changed the name of both the adobe and premiere folders to “premiere.old” and “adobe.old”, no effect.
I’ve also tested for the glitch using my work computer (a mid-level mac book pro running el capitan OS) which also has the latest version of CC, moving the interface around to other monitors, and it’s glitch free.

I have near state-of-the-art computer specs as well, so that shouldn’t be an issue.

MSI GT72 Dominator Pro gaming laptop
64 bit, Windows 10
6th gen, Intel skylake i7, 6820HK @3.1Ghz
Nvidia GTX 980M with 8gigs ram
32gigs RAM DDR4

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 01, 2016 Aug 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exactly the same issue. I also own an MSI laptop. I believe the problem is linked to the Graphics Cards and the fact that the display inputs link to the single Integrated Graphic card as opposed to the NVIDIA card, which is rather used for rendering. I dont have a fix and it is driving me nuts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 29, 2016 Oct 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this exact problem as dlrivera_films now. Did you ever find a fix?

I have Windows 10 with a Nvidia GTX 960 card. The only fix is to delete preferences and unplug one monitor. As long as I have Premiere open in the main window, I can then connect the second monitor and at least have a browser or other apps in it. I just can't have a second Premiere window in it like a bin, etc.

There has to be another fix. Anyone?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 02, 2016 Dec 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem, when I activate the second monitor, the premiere simply hangs, can anyone solve it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 02, 2016 Dec 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just for genera information, after a thread is marked "Correct Answer", it's probably best to create a new thread with your issue when the 'correct answer' doesn't solve your particular issue.

It may very well be a very different issue with similar symptoms, but at any rate ... it's much cleaner for both the Support Staff, other users, and also for the large group of 'volunteer helpers' around this user-to-user forum.

In a new thread, I'd suggest giving a complete list of your hardware ... OS/CPU/RAM/GPU, GPU driver number, version of PrPro off the 'Help/About' menu item including everything past the dot. And repeating your description of the behavior.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2014 Oct 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We recently had a problem with Photoshop CC not viewing a photo on both screens. We later found out that we had both Photoshop CC and Photoshop CS5 open at the same time and it wasn't allowing the transfer from the Mac screen to our PA271w.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 04, 2014 Nov 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here I am a year later and having the same issue, this time on my laptop.  I have checked to make sure both options are correct (enable transmit, and selecting the right preview device), and I am sure there are no pixels creeping over like I had happen before.  I'm on a Windows 8.1 laptop, connected to my TV via HDMI.  TV is working flawlessly as secondary display until I launch Premiere CC 2014, at which point the display goes black.  Any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2015 Jan 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this same problem on my Macbook Pro running an external screen.

It turns out that if you have the screens arranged on top of each other, the out to the second monitor doesn't work - maybe because the dock and menu bars are on different screens.

If I arrange the monitors next to each other it works fine.

Screen Shot 2015-01-09 at 3.07.35 pm.PNG

The arrangement above doesn't work (even if the dock is on the left side of the upper monitor), but the arrangement below does....

Screen Shot 2015-01-09 at 3.07.48 pm.PNG

This isn't really convenient for me, any my external monitor is above my laptop on so the up/down arrangement makes more sense for mousing... But at least it works.

Hope the helps someone.

cheers Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 26, 2015 Feb 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome. Glad I found this post. my second monitor went away (in both Premiere and AE) unexplained and like someone above, I restarted a few times to no avail. Sure enough it seems like I had some overhang, even though it was not even noticeable. I do tend to move some of these windows inadvertently and I wish they were not so easy to rearrange, or at least able to lock into position.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2015 Nov 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

help2.jpgI´m currently busting my veins, SF Bay Video Creative. Maybe you can help me solve my issue? I have a Macbook 15inch Retina screen and a Benq secondary monitor. After I installed the new OS for mac El Capitan my screens started spilling into each other and I have no idea how to fix this. This makes it, like for the others, impossible to work with a full screen secondary monitor in several programs. Even when I toggle fullscreen on a web browser the other screen goes black.  How do I separate them??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 18, 2016 Feb 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Chris_Tempel! I was going crazy because my second monitor was playing during playback and then all of a sudden it wasn't! The "overhang" was the culprit. All I had to do was move my Premiere window a millimeter to the right (so that all of it was in my primary monitor) and the problem was fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 05, 2016 Aug 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same exact issue as the above two users. I am running on a ASUS G752VT Nvidia GTX 970m. Connecting to a ASUS VG278 Monitor. Premiere just glitches and is rendered useless. What is going on?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2016 Aug 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

also have the same exact issue on my asus g752vt.

i am very disappointment bicause i spand alot of mony on a second screen and it realy unusebble.

please if any one have a solotion let me know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines