enable CUDA ?

Community Beginner ,
May 02, 2010 May 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

found this on cinema5d.com forum:

How to make Premiere CS5 work with GTX 295

Postby marvguitar on 01 May 2010 22:38

I figured out how to activate CUDA acceleration without a GTX 285 or Quadro... I'm pretty sure it should work with other 200 GPUs. Note that i'm using 2 monitors and there's a extra tweak to play with CUDA seamlessly with 2 monitors.

Here are the steps:

Step 1. Go to the Premiere CS5 installation folder.
Step 2. Find the file "GPUSniffer.exe" and run it in a command prompt (cmd.exe). You should see something like that:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Device: 00000000001D4208 has video RAM(MB): 896
Device: 00000000001D4208 has video RAM(MB): 896
Vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
Renderer string: GeForce GTX 295/PCI/SSE2
Version string: 3.0.0

OpenGL version as determined by Extensionator...
OpenGL Version 2.0
Supports shaders!
Supports BGRA -> BGRA Shader
Supports VUYA Shader -> BGRA
Supports UYVY/YUYV ->BGRA Shader
Supports YUV 4:2:0 -> BGRA Shader
Testing for CUDA support...
Found 2 devices supporting CUDA.
CUDA Device # 0 properties -
CUDA device details:
Name: GeForce GTX 295 Compute capability: 1.3
Total Video Memory: 877MB
CUDA Device # 1 properties -
CUDA device details:
Name: GeForce GTX 295 Compute capability: 1.3
Total Video Memory: 877MB
CUDA Device # 0 not choosen because it did not match the named list of cards
Completed shader test!
Internal return value: 7
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you look at the last line it says the CUDA device is not chosen because it's not in the named list of card. That's fine. Let's add it.

Step 3. Find the file: "cuda_supported_cards.txt" and edit it and add your card (take the name from the line: CUDA device details: Name: GeForce GTX 295 Compute capability: 1.3

So in my case the name to add is: GeForce GTX 295

Step 4. Save that file and we're almost ready.

Step 5. Go to your Nvidia Drivercontrol panel (im using the latest 197.45) under "Manage 3D Settings", Click "Add" and browse to your Premiere CS5 install directory and select the executable file: "Adobe Premiere Pro.exe"

Step 6. In the field "multi-display/mixed-GPU acceleration" switch from "multiple display performance mode" to "compatibilty performance mode"

Step 7. That's it. Boot Premiere and go to your project setting / general and activate CUDA

Hope this helps

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , May 03, 2010 May 03, 2010

Note that this will only work with cards that have 765MB or more of RAM.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Engaged ,
Jan 08, 2014 Jan 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know a Nicholas Cole in Alpharetta, GA.  Are you him?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 09, 2014 Jan 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I'm English, but I live in France.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 05, 2010 May 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you need to install Cuda Ver.  3.0

Your posts says you have 1.0 installed.

Caution:  This is just a guess since I don't have a Quardro card.  Proceed at your own peril

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for quick reply...

i have the latest diver "197.59_Quadro_win7_winvista_64bit_english_whql" with CUDA 3.0 support but its not working for Premiere Pro

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i think driver for CUDA and CUDA compute compatibility are different things

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 09, 2010 May 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Works with the nvidia/asus GeForce 9400 gt 1gb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 10, 2010 May 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI What should it say in the project setting / general ?

I only have

"Mercury Engine Playback GPU Acceleration"

and

"Mercury Engine Playback Software Only"

No mention of Cuda. Im assuming the first one is correct?

I have GeForce GTX 260 i7 930 12gbram

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 10, 2010 May 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im assuming the first one is correct?

Yes.

-Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 14, 2010 Jul 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In that case replace 470 with 260 if you followed John's link.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 10, 2010 Jun 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This sounds like a great work around. Do you know if a similiar procedure works with After Effects CS5?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Possibly, I'll try it and report back.

Edit: After effects has the gpu sniffer file, but cuda acceleration available, possibly in the future?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After Effects uses OpenGL to utilize built-in functions on the video card to draw frames to the preview window, etc., as opposed to using Microsoft's graphics framework DirectX (or more specifically the subset, Direct3D).The more drawing that is done by the GPU, the less the CPU has to do. CUDA, on the other hand, was designed from scratch, for general  purpose  computation using the GPU. It can do more than just graphics.

AE needs GPUSniffer.exe to figure out whether the graphics card is compatible with various versions of OpenGL.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So does this mean that After Effects CS5 does not take advanage of the Mercury Engine? Is the Cuda/Mercury Engine only for

Premiere Pro CS5?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the CUDA acceleration is only for Premiere Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 24, 2010 Aug 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what is about encore ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 14, 2010 Jul 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See #33 dated 7-14-2010 for an easy hack http://forums.adobe.com/thread/672876?tstart=0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 06, 2010 Aug 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i think this link could be useful to the 300 series people !!

http://punkbuddhaz.wordpress.com/2010/06/09/nvidia-300-series-gpu-cuda-mercury-playback-engine-hack/

thanks to both the Hacker and the Testers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 24, 2010 Aug 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I enablet my Geforce GT 240 to Premiere CS 5. It works fine. Encoding over Encore dosn't work. What ist to do.

Sorry, my english ....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 24, 2010 Dec 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been reading for quite a while now about system requirements, the supported NVIDIA graphics cards and the hack for those that aren't.

I am far from the most technical guy and could use some help in trying to buy a laptop for a non-profit that will work well with Premiere Pro CS5. We shoot mostly in AVCHD, but will receive a good deal of video on other formats.

A call to Adobe support and allegedly getting someone who says they know (after some very direct questioning from me and having my doubts) indicates that they support the GeForce GTX 285M fo Premeire Pro CS5 (I asked specifically is the 285M along with the 285 supported and she insisted yes). Reading here, I believe I see that isn't the case. Is that right?

I also see there are a very limited number of laptops (if any) with the supported cards. I too had checked our the MSI.

If someone knows of laptops with supported cards, can you please send along that info.

Also, has anyone confirmed any NVIDIA graphics cards used in laptops that will work with the hack to enable the MPE. 

For what we are doing with our video, as much as I would like Premeire Pro CS5, it may be smarter and less complicated to try out Edius 6 first. I have to buy the hardware now, so I would least like the option with the hack of having the a video card that can fully use the MPE. That way I can switch to CS5 at some point, if needed.

I am clear on most, if not all, the other system requirements from reading all of the informative previous posts on various threads.

Please inform me if you think my thought process is a bit screwy. At the moment we are not doing a lot of high end editing, but that may change. For now, a laptop is a requirement due to the nature of the work.

Thank you in advance and happy holidays.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> A call to Adobe support and allegedly getting someone who says they know (after some very direct questioning from me and having my doubts) indicates that they support the GeForce GTX 285M fo Premeire Pro CS5 (I asked specifically is the 285M along with the 285 supported and she insisted yes). Reading here, I believe I see that isn't the case. Is that right?

Please email me at kopriva -at- adobe -dot- com and give me the case number for the technical support contact during which you were given this false information. I need to ensure that the person who gave you that information doesn't tell other people the wrong thing, too.

The GTX 285M is not one of the cards with which Premiere Pro CS5 officially provides the CUDA processing features.

Here is the system requirements page:

http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/systemreqs/

The only 'M' card is the Quadro 5000M. Enabling that card requires the Premiere Pro CS5 (5.0.3) update, recently released.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lds55 wrote:

I have been reading for quite a while now about system requirements, the supported NVIDIA graphics cards and the hack for those that aren't.

I am far from the most technical guy and could use some help in trying to buy a laptop for a non-profit that will work well with Premiere Pro CS5. We shoot mostly in AVCHD, but will receive a good deal of video on other formats.

A call to Adobe support and allegedly getting someone who says they know (after some very direct questioning from me and having my doubts) indicates that they support the GeForce GTX 285M fo Premeire Pro CS5 (I asked specifically is the 285M along with the 285 supported and she insisted yes). Reading here, I believe I see that isn't the case. Is that right?

I also see there are a very limited number of laptops (if any) with the supported cards. I too had checked our the MSI.

If someone knows of laptops with supported cards, can you please send along that info.

Also, has anyone confirmed any NVIDIA graphics cards used in laptops that will work with the hack to enable the MPE. 

For what we are doing with our video, as much as I would like Premeire Pro CS5, it may be smarter and less complicated to try out Edius 6 first. I have to buy the hardware now, so I would least like the option with the hack of having the a video card that can fully use the MPE. That way I can switch to CS5 at some point, if needed.

I am clear on most, if not all, the other system requirements from reading all of the informative previous posts on various threads.

Please inform me if you think my thought process is a bit screwy. At the moment we are not doing a lot of high end editing, but that may change. For now, a laptop is a requirement due to the nature of the work.

Thank you in advance and happy holidays.

No it is not on the (seemingly ridiculous) official Adobe Supported Cards List, but so what? That card supports CUDA (and it is NOT an ancient card with super-limited CUDA support AFAIK) and has more than the required memory so I would be beyond shocked if it didn't work fine. CUDA isn't used for h.264 decoding anyway so in your case I might be more worried about general system CPU power if you are going to do AVCHD and then CUDA secondarily.

I have yet to hear anyone report that a card that offers any even half-way recent CUDA support and has at least 896MB of memory didn't work with the Mercurcy Engine (although i've pretty much heard from desktop users). And I mean why in the world should they not? The whole point of CUDA was to be a general purpose interface to GPGPU computing not some direct to the metal card by card specific thing. If you look at the official list it doesn't remotely make any sense at all since there are plenty of truly identical cards in every possible way that could matter that aren't even listed.

To really be 100% sure I guess you can search a bit more until you find someone who has it working just in case nvidia didn't bug their mobile processors in this way too and fail to mention that or something, but I doubt that since the nvidia website doesn't appear to mention any crippling to the CUDA on that chipset. And the hack is hardly even a hack. Literally all you do is open a text file and type in the name of your card, save the file back and then it works. Done.

The whole thing seems bizarre to me. OTOH on the nvidia site they go on and on about how all their cards support CUDA and how it works beautifully and so on and then somehow with CS5+NVidia they almost try to make it sound like most of their implementations are bugged or messed up either in the hardware or drivers or both. That seems like a weird impression to want to give off....  (or for adobe to rather you get edius 6 and not their product just over this) It's not exactly like every CPU+motherboard+OS combo get tested so why go so crazy about the video card? Seems like a sales tactic to push quadro and a few cards that had been the very top end consumer level and a silent deal with Adobe where they each do a little for each other on this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the reply chupacabracobra.

The one laptop, with the one supported graphics card (Quadro 5000M) that I could find is the HP Elitebook 8740w. The $3500-4000 for this configuration may be too much money for the foundation that I am buying this for (at the very least I don''t think that would be spending their money wisely).

When you say the other cards work, that means with the hack (or not an even hack, as you write) to exploit the full use of the MPE?

I would like to know a few models of cards for laptops that works on so I at least get something that gives me that option for the future, depending on the direction we go.

Much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 27, 2010 Dec 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My producer has a Laptop with the 330M built in.  Works fine with hardware MPE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lds55 wrote:

Thank you for the reply chupacabracobra.

The one laptop, with the one supported graphics card (Quadro 5000M) that I could find is the HP Elitebook 8740w. The $3500-4000 for this configuration may be too much money for the foundation that I am buying this for (at the very least I don''t think that would be spending their money wisely).

When you say the other cards work, that means with the hack (or not an even hack, as you write) to exploit the full use of the MPE?

I would like to know a few models of cards for laptops that works on so I at least get something that gives me that option for the future, depending on the direction we go.

Much appreciated.

I wouldn't be so worried about the so-called hack. I mean all you do is type the name of your graphics card and it works. And all you would do to make an approved card not work is delete the name of it from a text file! It's no hack at all!

The program runs a GPUsniffer and if it doesn't see the name of your card in the file it aborts and flags Mercury as not available. If it sees the card on the list then it tests that the drivers are up to date enough and that it has enough memory, if so it enables the Mercury toogle.

YOu re not hacking code, not doing anything weird, the program already supports tons of non-official cards every bit as well as the official cards.

The officials cards thing is likely just a deal where in exchange for help from nvidia they sort of push some of their high-end, high-margin cards to those afraid of things and yet they make the 'hack' so easy so they don't lose people not having an official card and they also don't have to bother dealing with support for nearly as many people or, on the odd chance, some card does ahve some bug, not have to deal with trying to support that and having to deal with taht mess.

So you seriously don't need to shell out $4000 you don't have to just get an official card. Anything with enough memory and even slightly recent CUDA support should be fine. Someone from Adobe posted that they have no plans to remove the easy text file 'hack'. It is good for them and good for us.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you all. You have been of great assistance. Have a happy new year.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines