• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

EPS vecotor looks awful in Premiere CC. Why?

Community Beginner ,
Nov 01, 2013 Nov 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same file worked and displayed well in Premiere CS6. I've opened the project with Premiere CC and the vector EPS appeared rasterized and low res. It displays this way on preview of the video and after exporting the movie. Why is this happening and how can it be fixed?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , May 05, 2016 May 05, 2016

It seems that Premiere and After Effects treat vectors differently. One solution would be to use the "Replace with After Effects Composition" option. In After Effects there is small button that looks like a sun. Ticking this button for your EPS layer turns on continuous rasterization and you can scale for you hearts content.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Vector graphics are rasterized upon import, no way to avoid that.

Try bringing in the graphic again, and replace the instances in the sequence with the new import.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for taking the time to reply Jim. I've tried it without any improvement. It imports the EPS the same terrible way. Is this some new bug in CC versus CS6? The same graphic looks/behaves wonderfully in CS6. The problem is that once I've saved the project as CC I cannot open it with CS6. Any other ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not tested this work flow in CC yet.  The last project I had EPS for was done in CS6.

You might try just exporting out of Illustrator as another format.  I like PNG if possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That would be the work-around to the issue, nevertheless a fix. Thank you Jim.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 19, 2014 Mar 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same "issue" here.

I loved the way how CS6 handeled the EPS files, because i was able to scale them how ever it need without having a loss of quality.

why is this feature gone? it was one of the functions why we choosed PremierePro!

is it a bug or is the EPS-vector support history?

cheers, dennis

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 19, 2014 Mar 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really?  that never worked for me in CS6 mac.

Sure you could import and .eps or .ai but if you scaled it up bigger it would look aliased.

I wish adobe would implement the rasterizer from photoshop so that any illustrator .ai or .eps or .pdf

could be imported then asks you what size it should be and make it nice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 27, 2014 Mar 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here.

We've just moved from CS6 to CC and all our existing and new projects are suffering from this problem.

We can work around it by exporting to a bitmap format like PNG but it's a massive step backwards for our workflow.

Hopefully it's bug instead of removing functionality...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2016 Feb 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

has this issue been fixed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 07, 2016 Apr 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also here waiting on an answer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 05, 2016 May 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems that Premiere and After Effects treat vectors differently. One solution would be to use the "Replace with After Effects Composition" option. In After Effects there is small button that looks like a sun. Ticking this button for your EPS layer turns on continuous rasterization and you can scale for you hearts content.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2022 Oct 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This helped me out 6 years later! Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 03, 2017 Jan 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had the same issue using CC. My fix (which I don't love) was open the .ai file in photoshop and make it HUGE. Bring it back into Premiere and it looks sharp. Seems so strange that Premiere can't resolve the vector files to create high res graphics from .ai files though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2017 Apr 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue and I came up with a solution.  Take the EPS illustrator file and open up in Photoshop and just to be safe enlarge the size of the file to be larger than the resolution of the Premiere file you are working on.   Save it as a PNG file and import into Premiere that way. It looks really sharp now for me. Hope it works for everyone else here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 08, 2017 Aug 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A work around that works but is somewhat annoying is to resize your vector to a size larger than you need in illustrator before you bring it in, then scale it down accordingly once in premiere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 06, 2017 Sep 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I remember this working too. Please fix Adobe. This is a huge regression

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Sep 07, 2017 Sep 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This defect still hasn't been fixed. Approaching the end of 2017 here.

Clients regularly provide me with logos as EPS, which is exactly what they should be using.

Premiere doesn't handle vector images in Adobe's own format? There was no excuse for this in the first place.

Embarrassing.

File a bug report on this, people: Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 03, 2018 Jan 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's now 2018...

Still no support for Adobe illustrator files in Adobe Premiere...?

This is ridiculous, please keep reporting people.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2018 Jan 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is NUTS? Adobe products don't talk to Adobe products using an industry standard vector format that Adobe invented?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2018 Mar 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

March 5th and still no solution. It's obvious the teams don't communicate between video and illustration. @Adobe, do you even monitor these forums?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Meanwhile if you want to edit your vector art use AE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In this scenario it's easier to save the image as a .png from photoshop. Especially if you're not experienced with after effects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not about editing; it's about using.  Also, if you save it as a PNG, you have to scale it WAYYYY up if you're going to potentially do any zooming.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 06, 2018 Mar 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We've had this issue forever. We have design elements from multiple brands that we manage using the CC Libraries. It works great for our designers to have those vector assets available in-program. It's frustrating that our videographers have to take several extra steps when the CC Library is literally right there in Premiere Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 15, 2019 May 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this still not fixed? So frustrating to go through Illustrator to add a single text .eps.

Adobe??!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines