• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Exported .srt file contains font formatting, when uploaded to YouTube.

Community Beginner ,
Sep 20, 2017 Sep 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Adobe Community,

I have recently been tasked to upload closed captioning SRT files with our company's videos in YouTube.  I set up my video in Premiere Pro with Captioning CEA-708 format.  When I export my video from Premiere Pro, I choose to export with a SideCar file in .srt format.

The file is outputted in the following format:

00:00:04,880 --> 00:00:11,440

<font color=#AAAAAAFF>Spanning Backup for Office 365 is an enterprise-grade, backup and recovery solution for Office 365.</font>

00:00:11,440 --> 00:00:17,240

<font color=#AAAAAAFF>Spanning provides automated backup and recovery for Mail, Calendar, OneDrive and SharePoint.</font>

Unfortunately, when I upload this .srt file into YouTube, the <font color=#AAAAAAFF> and </font> is included as part of the text.  See below:

Screen Shot 2017-09-20 at 2.42.35 PM.png

Is this fixable?  Is there another way in which I can export the .srt file from Premiere Pro, so that it won't contain the font formatting?  Or, does anyone know of a way in which YouTube would strip this out?  I know that manually, I can open the .srt file in TextEdit, and manually remove all of the instances of this formatting, but, I imagine there has to be another way.

Thanks in advance for any help!

My Specs:

Mac OSX Yosemite

Macbook Pro, 2015

Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2017.1.2 Release

11.1.2 (22) Build

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you burn in closed captions without such anomalies?

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Best approach here is to use Notepad (don't know if you have a similar app on Mac) and open the srt file.

Inside, use the Replace feature to "Replace all" segments you want to take out. So, first <font color=#AAAAAAFF> and next do a run with </font>. This should get all the unnecessary text out of the file. Make sure that no option to delete spaces or returns is selected!

Next, re-upload the srt file to YouTube.

Hope this helps.

notepad.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 21, 2017 Sep 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you both for the replies!

Kevin-Monahan​ - if I use the 'burn in captions' option, it unfortunately permanently burns the captions into the video, and doesn't allow me to toggle on/off when I upload to YouTube.  Additionally, the burn in option seemed to truncate the captions that were on-screen, so, I don't think this option will work for me.

BrandedChannels​ - Yes, this option will work, opening the .srt file in TextEdit (Mac user) and Replacing all of the instances of the font formatting with nothing removes the formatting.  This isn't too painful of a process, as I can replace all instances at once with the 'Replace All' button, but, I'm wondering if there isn't another way to export the captions.

My company has recently moved over hosting our videos on YouTube to Wistia, as it is a more professional video hosting site, but we are still uploading videos to YouTube as well, however, for increased visibility.  When I upload the same .srt file to Wistia, the font formatting is stripped away, and I only see the desired captions.  I'm just surprised that YouTube has this issue, and was wondering if anyone knew of another solution.

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you use Open Captions or must they be Closed Captions?

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They must be Closed Captions, so that they can be toggled on or off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm pretty sure what you wish to do is still not yet possible. Re: Exporting .srt sidecar file? (Or workaround)

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 22, 2017 Sep 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Closed captions really is a thing that applies to broadcast television and DVD/BluRay production. Onine, you can use SRT files (open captions), which can be switched on and off at will, on YouTube using the CC button.

So you could do with Open Captions if online is your playout.

In the project panel select the Captions file and use Export from File menu to save out the captions file as a separate srt.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 22, 2017 Sep 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BrandedChannels​ Thanks for the reply.  What you are describing is what I have already done.  I have exported my project with a sidecar .srt file.  When I upload this .srt file into YouTube, I am able to successfully toggle on and off the captions using the CC button.  The problem is that YouTube is reading the font formatting of the .srt file as part of the text of my actual captions.

I know that I can manually remove this font formatting by editing the file in TextEdit, but, if I am going to be uploading a large volume of content to YouTube, I would prefer exporting this .srt file without the font formatting, if possible.

If this isn't possible, as Kevin Monahan has stated, then I will resort to simply editing the .srt file each time.  But, I was just curious if someone knew of another solution.

Thanks again everyone for the assistance!  It has been great to see everyone's involvement in the community forums!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 12, 2017 Dec 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin and BrandedChannels seem confused since you are exporting closed captions as .srt files - they are insisting you are using Open Captions, but since Open Captions cannot be exported to a sidecar file for whatever bizarre reason, you must use closed captions.

It seems like this is a bug that a lot of people have but I haven't seen Adobe acknowledge it yet. Closed Captions exported as .srt always have markup colouring them #AAAAAAFF and will not export without that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the follow up.  Yes, I have simply resorted to opening the exported .srt file in TextEdit on my Mac and performing a Find and then "Replace All" for all of the instances of the closed captioning formatting.  It's not too much extra work.

I am surprised, however, that YouTube doesn't strip out the formatting when uploading a .srt file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow we JUST had this issue while uploading to Facebook! Found this thread via a Google search and noticed u guys just posted TODAY

Had to go into the SRT with TextEdit and manually strip formatting & reupload....worked out fine. But yeah--not the ideal.

I thought that maybe copy/pasting captions into PP from Wordpad (MS version of TextEdit) caused the problem, but the same problem occurred when we copy pasted from TextEdit.

@spanning8270520, did this happen to you cuz u copy/pasted your captions into PP, or did you hand-type them?

THANKS!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 13, 2017 Dec 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I typed all of the closed caption text into PP.  I didn't paste them in from anything else.  But, I don't think PP is the problem, honestly.  I think the problem is on YouTube (and Facebook) itself.  I think that YouTube (and Facebook it seems) just don't recognize that font formatting of a .SRT file, and just don't strip it out.  When I upload a video to Wistia with the same .SRT file, the font formatting is stripped out appropriately from the closed captioning.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 12, 2021 Aug 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

suprise suprise  August 2021
i Imported, as done several times befor an srt file,
in youtube as CC .
but now i have aproblem as youtube shows me
fint and color within the text.. like:
<font color=#F17532FF>In unserem ersten Teil zum Thema Krebs</font>
<font color=#F17532FF>genauer anschauen.</font>
<font color=#F17532FF>Man erfährt die Diagnose plötzlich,</font>

Does anybody have a workarround .. i have to do several long videos

THANKS to all

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 12, 2021 Aug 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok i figured something out... (took me 2,5 hours .. grrr)
If you change the CC with color and choose another font .. then the exported SRT containes those
additional data.
Solution;
Delete the CC track , and let PRemiere do it again. Dont change anything .. just export the fresh data as srt
out of the Text -> CC Window

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 06, 2023 Oct 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Nice if auto transcription works for you but I had to do a lot of manual changes and time adjustments already... yes it works with the changes too but never again once you changed ANYTHING in the style, even if you delete THAT. Please Adobe fix this!! I´m sure there is a marker missing YT will recognise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines