Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Exporting as MPEG4 instead of 3GP

New Here ,
Feb 12, 2017 Feb 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I am using windows and Premier Pro CC.  I have imported jpeg still shots files from InDesign into my project and also have video clips from my smart phone and a video camera. I have to submit my video as an MPEG4 format but it seems to only allow me to export as a 3gp file.  Help please? Deadline is fast approaching!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 12, 2017 Feb 12, 2017

Look under Format in the export settings for H.264. Lots of presets. Youtube presets are usually just fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Feb 12, 2017 Feb 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look under Format in the export settings for H.264. Lots of presets. Youtube presets are usually just fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 12, 2020 Sep 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you are a whole-lota-lifesaver... i've been searching for this answer for years! thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 18, 2021 Feb 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you explain why you used H.264 and not just the MP4 Setting? Because when I used the MP4 I got 3GP and the quaility was poor. Then I did what you suggested and it came out perfperfect. Thank you. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 22, 2021 Sep 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like to know this, too. It seems absolutely idiotic that if you pick mp4 as the Format, you're suddenly only given 3gp as the Preset.

Why the hell do we have to choose H.264 for the format, in order to then have the preset defaulting to various resolutions in the mp4 format...without anything even saying it's mp4?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 18, 2021 Oct 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you choose mpeg4/3gp you end up with H.263 instead of H.264. Says so in the setting.

So if you want H.264 what do you choose.......?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2021 Nov 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What the person above is saying is that H.264 corresponds somehow to MPEG4/.MP4 and that H.263 corresponds to the .3GP files. There actually is not MPEG4/H.264 option like they suggest there is. If you want an MPEG4 file that saves with .MP4 file extension, its seems you have to export to H.264

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 07, 2021 Nov 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I said that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 25, 2022 Apr 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You did, but it was snarky and didn't really address the question. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It does if you open the presets.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The OP's question was why, when you select .mp4 as your export format, Premiere exports to .3gp.  It is a logical question and counter-intuitive to have to select HR264 as your format when .mp4 is available as a top-level choice.

What you can see in the presets is immaterial--the naming convention is misleading.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open the preset and see 3gp is H.263 with very low resolution and does not give you a mp4 extension rather a .3gp.

counter-intuitive to have to select HR264 as your format when .mp4 is available as a top-level choice.

No its not.

mp4 is a container, H.264 the codec.

http://www.philiphodgetts.com/2009/01/whats-the-difference-between-a-codec-and-a-container-or-wrappe...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Gregory22863421amue wrote:

The OP's question was why, when you select .mp4 as your export format, Premiere exports to .3gp.  It is a logical question and counter-intuitive to have to select HR264 as your format when .mp4 is available as a top-level choice.

What you can see in the presets is immaterial--the naming convention is misleading.

• .mp4 is not a top-level choice. MPEG-4 is. There is a difference.
  • If you choose a preset under MPEG-4, you get an exported file with an .mp4 extension. You also get the H.264 codec.
  • If you don't tell Pr what parameters you want and just mash the Export button when you select MPEG-4, then you will get an exported file with a .3gp extension.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 20, 2022 Nov 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think people are just "mashing" the export button.  People, especially non-pros just want straightforward encoding that doesn't take internet research and message board banter to achieve what should be a very simple choice.  Unfortunately, these technical standards could be overcome if the people designing Media Encoder would just let people export an MP4 as an MPEG-4 because doing that would just be very logical.  If people want to encode to .3gp then make that the actual option instead of .MP4!   If customers pay for Adobe they should get a better user experience.     

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand all of that--I have since the OP posed the question. The OP was not asking about different codecs and how they can be determined by examining the presets. The OP was asking why, when you specify .mp4 as your export format, you do not get an .mp4, but a .3gp.  

It is a logical question to ask, yet you seem to want to continue to complicate the matter--despite the question being throughly answered before you chimed in.

Don't bother responding, I don't have time for such foolishness.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 26, 2022 Apr 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Gregory22863421amue wrote:

I understand all of that--I have since the OP posed the question. The OP was not asking about different codecs and how they can be determined by examining the presets. The OP was asking why, when you specify .mp4 as your export format, you do not get an .mp4, but a .3gp.  

It is a logical question to ask, yet you seem to want to continue to complicate the matter--despite the question being throughly answered before you chimed in.

Don't bother responding, I don't have time for such foolishness.

Choosing an export format and codec IS complicated. It's what pro editors get paid to do so that their clients get what they asked for. 

And although you may understand the difference between file format and video codec, the OP may not. 

Despite your attempt at clarification, it's possible from your response you may also miss the subtle distinction between .mp4 the file format and MPEG-4 the codec family. MPEG-4 is a top level export choice in Pr while .mp4 is not. You continue to refer to .mp4 as the export choice, which is incorrect. If there is confusion here, you may be inadvertently adding to it. 

Finally, although my response is to you, it may include information that later users will find useful, even if you do not. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 20, 2022 Nov 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It really shouldn't be complicated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines